    facility) and create an html list of these docs, can a malicious user
    get access to this html page?

    Tom

    Tom Pearson, Jul 6, 2003

  2. Tom Pearson

    The Saint Guest

    Tom Pearson wrote:

    >I am trying to establish how secure my website is. I was thinking of
    >using it to store documents on so they would be available wherever I
    >am.

    A lot of people do that. But convenience may have a price tag.

    >Question if there is no html link to those documents is it possible
    >for them to be retrieved by a malicious user.

    Yes.

    >Question if I protect an area by using a password (my ISP offers that
    >facility) and create an html list of these docs, can a malicious user
    >get access to this html page?

    Yes. Well, perhaps only the better ones.

    The Saint, Jul 7, 2003

  3. Tom Pearson

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:06:27 +0100, Tom Pearson
    <> wrote:

    >I am trying to establish how secure my website is. I was thinking of
    >using it to store documents on so they would be available wherever I
    >am.
    >
    >Question if there is no html link to those documents is it possible
    >for them to be retrieved by a malicious user.
    >
    >Question if I protect an area by using a password (my ISP offers that
    >facility) and create an html list of these docs, can a malicious user
    >get access to this html page?
    >
    >Tom

    yes, plus of course the isp has access.

    Web servers are not the best place for confidential stuff
    unless stongly encrypted.

    Unless you use a secure server for the login, there is
    also the possibility of someone recording the password
    when you access the website.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Jul 7, 2003