Newbie: Creating chapters

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by MidnightDad, Dec 29, 2005.

  1. MidnightDad

    MidnightDad Guest

    Forgive me for my newbie-ness, but here goes. I'm capturing video via
    Firewire from a Sony Digital-8 camcorder. I'm using Nero 6 to create a
    DVD project to burn on my Sony DVD-RW drive. I have some questions:

    1) What is the best digital format to capture the video? Nero gives me
    many choices, but I'm not sure which one to pick.

    2) Is there any way to automatically create chapters? I know that the
    software claims it can do that, but its based on scene changes and is
    quite imperfect. I think a better way would be to key off the chapters
    already present on the tape. I believe that whenever I press stop and
    start during the recording, that's considered a chapter.

    3) Is there any way to pick up the encoded information from the tape,
    such as the shooting date, and incorporate that into the captured
    video?

    4) I'm finding Nero difficult to use, especially when creating
    chapters. The first frame of each chapter is supposed to display on
    the DVD menu, but the frame keeps changing every time I revisit the
    chapter. Anyone else having that problem? I'm written to the company
    to no avail.

    MidnightDad, Dec 29, 2005