Newbie Confusion Questions...help?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by jasper, Sep 7, 2006.

  1. jasper

    jasper Guest

    Greetings to All...

    Am new to wireless but not to networking hardwired. I installed a
    wireless AP into a Ethernet Hub along with a wireless card in a
    notebook. I am confused about several things. Been doing hours and
    hours of searching and reading to find out answers. That brings me
    here to this newsgroup. If anyone would be so kind to reply to the
    following topics I am having a problem with, it would be kindly
    appreciated.

    1) I have a working AP and laptop wireless connection working but I
    need advice in securing it. My attempts have led me to more
    confusion. On the AP box, admin, I have it set to WPA-PSK TKIP
    and set a 30 character key. On my laptop when I search for wireless
    networks mine shows and said its an encrypted network..However I can
    connect to it without using WPA-PSK on my network card in the laptop.
    When I try to connect to the PA network I get a popup box asking for
    a key....I type in anything over 8 characters long and I connect to
    it! I also tried setting WPA-PAK TKIP on my laptop and again when
    I try to login to my AP network I get prompted with the Enter the Key
    popup and no matter what I type, 8 chars or more, I can get connected
    to the AP network. My question is Does WPA-PSK TKIP only have to
    do with encrypting data flow or is it supposed to prevent unwanted
    people connecting to your wireless network? I would think if the
    popup window prompts you to type the key, that the key has to be
    exactly as the AP key is or you're not connected.

    2) In experimenting I have to broadcast my SSID Turned OFF. When
    I do, I of course do not see my AP network in the search for networks
    window, but how do I log onto my AP network then? I have windows
    properties to Automatically Configure my Network connections and I
    have a check mark in the Automatically Connect to this Network box
    but I can't connect to it unless I SEE it in the search for networks
    window. How can I access the AP with SSID OFF?

    3) Can SSID be set it up so that people without the same SSID as my
    AP cannot connect to it?

    4) As mentioned, does all the WPA WEP etc. only encrypt the
    data flow or does it also block people from connecting to your
    wireless AP?(It they're not using the same security method and
    same KEY)

    Any help offered is certainly well taken.

    Good day and good luck!

    jasper, Sep 7, 2006

  2. Hi

    First read this, http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#signal

    The Wireless Security encrypt and decrypt the data flow, as a result any
    computer that is trying to connect to the AP can not connect without the
    Encryption key the communication s meaningless, and thus no log on..

    If you want, visiting friends to communicate to your Wireless you need to
    switch the SSID On, http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ssid

    May be this can further Help.

    Wireless Hardware - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).