Newbie: Cisco 2501 reboots?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Felipe Gac Tapia, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. A Cisco 2501 router was recently donated to me and I have a few questions in
    regards to using the console connection. I am new at all this and I
    apologize in advance if this question seems to easy.

    I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using the
    console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which are not
    connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the terminal
    session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The only
    thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:

    Router con0 is now available

    Prese RETURN to get started.

    The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but it seems
    to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?

    My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer, without an
    existing ethernet connection?

    Thanks in advance!

    ---
    Felipe Gac Tapia, Feb 25, 2005

  2. Felipe Gac Tapia

    Guest

    Yes this is normal. The timeout is logging you off automatically.
    No you cant upgrade/change the IOS with just a con0 connection on the
    2500s. Others yes, but not the 2500s.
    Google is your friend...
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1824/prod_release_note09186a008007fba0.html

    Felipe Gac Tapia wrote:
    > A Cisco 2501 router was recently donated to me and I have a few

    questions in
    > regards to using the console connection. I am new at all this and I
    > apologize in advance if this question seems to easy.
    >
    > I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using

    the
    > console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which

    are not
    > connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the

    terminal
    > session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The

    only
    > thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:
    >
    > Router con0 is now available
    >
    > Prese RETURN to get started.
    >
    > The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but

    it seems
    > to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?
    >
    > My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer,

    without an
    > existing ethernet connection?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >

    > ---
    , Feb 26, 2005

  3. Felipe Gac Tapia

    Ivan Ostreš Guest

    In article <VqPTd.1395$>, says...
    > I am able to access the routers configuration from my computer, using the
    > console cable. The router has 1 ethernet and 2 serial ports, which are not
    > connected to anything. My main concern is that when I have the terminal
    > session open, the router seems to reboot every 15-20 minutes. The only
    > thing that I see on the terminal screen is the login:
    >
    > Router con0 is now available
    >
    > Prese RETURN to get started.
    >
    > The routers uptime is not affected. I am not positive on this, but it seems
    > to happen if I dont type anything. Is this normal behavior?

    Your router is probably not rebooting. It is just logging you off when
    'inactive' timeout period runs out. You can "fix" that by adding:

    conf t
    line con 0
    exec-timeout 0 0
    end
    wr

    > My second question is: Can I copy the config file to my computer, without an
    > existing ethernet connection?

    Yes, you can. Just do a 'show run' and copy configuration from the
    terminal window to notepad (or similar program) and just save it
    somewhere on your computer.

    HTH,

    --
    -Ivan.