    I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.

    I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus, point and shoot" as I am a real novice on cameras. I have been lurking for a few weeks learning from you lot.

    Q : What lens should I buy next?
    HP, Mar 18, 2005

  2. HP <> wrote:
    > [-- text/plain, encoding quoted-printable, charset: iso-8859-1, 8 lines --]
    >
    > I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.
    >
    > I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus, point and shoot" as I am a real novice on cameras. I have been lurking for a few weeks learning from you lot.
    >
    > Q : What lens should I buy next?

    None! You are in the same boat as me [I just purchased a Nikon D-70].
    Learn your camera first. Learn each individual function. Learn
    photography with the lens you have! Give it some time and you will
    learn on your own which lens, or filter or flash you need next.

    --
    Thomas T. Veldhouse
    Spammers please contact me at .
    Thomas T. Veldhouse, Mar 18, 2005

  3. HP

    Jim Townsend Guest

    HP wrote:

    > I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on mid-priced, mid-range,
    > mid-pixel digitalcameras.
    >
    > I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus, point and shoot" as I am a
    > real novice on cameras. I have been lurking for a few weeks learning from you lot.
    >
    > Q : What lens should I buy next?

    If you're happy with the EF 18-55, why would you buy another lens ?

    I guess a better question is what you you like to shoot ? If you
    really like to shoot birds and wildlife, then you need a longer lens.

    What's your budget ? You can spend well over $1000 US on *one* good lens.
    A good telephoto can cost over $5000
    Jim Townsend, Mar 18, 2005
  4. HP

    erics Guest

    > "HP" <> wrote in message
    > I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on
    > mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.

    > I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus,
    > point and shoot" as I am a real novice on cameras. > I have been lurking
    > for a few weeks learning from you lot.

    > Q : What lens should I buy next?

    I'm new myself, but the lens is going to depend on what type of photography
    you want to do. No point getting a huge telephoto if you prefer portraits,
    or a wide angle if you prefer wildlife shots, and if you want to take
    close-ups you'll need a macro. If you are after aomething general purpose
    then perhaps a zoom is what you're after? I guess the answer is you need to
    be a bit more specific otherwise you'll end up with the lens that someone
    else wants!

    Good luck! Just ordered my first dSLR for similar reasons as yourself, as
    well as wanting to develop my photography skills, such as they are!
    erics, Mar 18, 2005
  5. >I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on
    >mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.
    >[...]
    >
    >Q : What lens should I buy next?

    You'll surely get as many answers as you do people answering, but
    here's my thinking:

    1. Get a good fast fixed lens. A 50mm f/1.8 lens is a joy to have,
    and costs less than $100.

    After that, decide if you want to take pictures of things that are far
    away (animals, say), or pictures of things that are either nearby or
    huge (a family in a room, say, or a landscape). If the former, get a
    longer lens (the 75-300IS is great); if the latter, get a wider-angle
    lens.

    -Joel

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman, Mar 18, 2005
  6. HP

    jimkramer Guest

    "HP" <> wrote in message
    I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on
    mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.

    I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus,
    point and shoot" as I am a real novice on cameras. I have been lurking for
    a few weeks learning from you lot.

    Q : What lens should I buy next?

    Depends on what you want to do; these are the three lenses I picked for my
    10D, not a bad place to start for under $1000

    Tokina Zoom Super Wide Angle 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 AF193 Autofocus Lens for
    Canon EOS $170
    Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Image Stabilizer
    USM Autofocus Lens $409
    Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 EF IS Image Stabilizer USM
    Autofocus Lens $414

    Get yourself a good flash and learn how to use the camera. If you are
    interested in macro work get a set of extension tubes.

    Jim Kramer
    jimkramer, Mar 18, 2005
  7. HP wrote:

    > I recently got the above after getting annoyed with the "shutter lag" on mid-priced, mid-range, mid-pixel digitalcameras.
    >
    > I am so far very happy with it. I have used it only as "point and focus, point and shoot" as I am a real novice on cameras. I have been lurking for a few weeks learning from you lot.
    >
    > Q : What lens should I buy next?

    For telephoto, buy the 100-300mm USM, see: "http://tinylink.com/?cZEZo2twBv"

    or the 75-200mm IS, see:
    "http://tinylink.com/?b6NXunaRMZ"

    For wide-angle, buy the EF-S 10-22mm, see:
    "http://tinylink.com/?J5P1EYzQt8"

    It all depends on what you want to do.
    Steven M. Scharf, Mar 18, 2005