    I know I could connect the phone system to my own BT line but I don't
    want to do that.
    Thanks for any advice.
    tg, Nov 25, 2008

  2. tg

    Graham. Guest

    > I've set up my own internal ip phone system and the next step is
    > connecting to the outside world so I can call BT numbers and international
    > from any of my phones.
    > Problem is my setup is slightly different from the norm. My PBX runs on
    > a router, not on a PC and my router is connected to the internet. I did
    > the 'voip provider' google but all the sites I found insisted on me
    > downloading their software, which I won't use. So I want a voip provider
    > whereby I just press a specific button on my phone for an outside line -
    > naturally as cheap as possible. I know I'll have to configure my phones
    > for the outside line but I need a voip provider too.
    > I know I could connect the phone system to my own BT line but I don't
    > want to do that.
    > Thanks for any advice.

    What are you using, Asterisk in a flash?

    Which VoIP providers did you look at?
    Most of them offer a soft-phone but if you
    dig a little deeper you will find the SIP settings to
    put into your device.

    If you don't require incoming calls I would
    recommend smslisto.com (Betamax)

    Sipgate.co.uk will give you a geographic
    number for any STD code you need, calls
    workout more expensive than Betamax clones though

    If your SIP device supports multiple accounts
    you can use Sipgate accounts for incoming
    DDI's, they are totally free if you chose not to buy credit.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Nov 25, 2008

  3. tg

    tg Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message
    > tg wrote :
    >
    > "all" of the ones you've found will be insisting on downloading an
    > application which you need to use for registration purposes only.
    >
    > After that, uninstall it and use your PBX.
    >
    > You don't mention countries you wish to call, nor whether you want to
    > be able to receive calls from regular numbers.
    >
    > Either way, take a look at http://www.backsla.sh/betamax for an idea
    > of the best rates for outbound....and www.sipgate.co.uk for a free
    > inbound number.

    thanks for your response Jono. There wasn't any specific country I
    wanted to call. I don't want to receive calls from outside, so I don't
    need a voip phone number, I only want the outside connection to make
    calls. Thanks for those links. I did check sipgate before posting - 60p
    per minute to UK landline, yikes!
    tg, Nov 25, 2008
  4. tg

    tg Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > What are you using, Asterisk in a flash?

    thanks for your response Graham.
    I'm using 100% cisco gear. No I don't need incoming calls, just
    outgoing. I've sent a few emails out to voip providers, lets see what
    comes back. I'll check out smslisto.com too so thanks for that.
    what does (betamax) mean?
    tg, Nov 25, 2008
  5. tg

    Tim Guest

    tg wrote:
    > "Graham." <> wrote in message
    >> What are you using, Asterisk in a flash?

    > thanks for your response Graham.
    > I'm using 100% cisco gear. No I don't need incoming calls, just
    > outgoing. I've sent a few emails out to voip providers, lets see what
    > comes back. I'll check out smslisto.com too so thanks for that.
    > what does (betamax) mean?

    Have a look at sip trunks from gradwell.

    Tim
    Tim, Nov 26, 2008
  6. tg

    tg Guest

    "Jono" <> wrote in message

    >> I'm using 100% cisco gear.

    > Best of luck!

    ha ha I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to need it and believe me
    I'm not looking forward to the setup.

    > SMSListo, along with voipcheap, voipwise, voipbuster, internetcalls,
    > and many more are operated by a German company called Betamax. All
    > their different clones are referenced here
    > <http://www.backsla.sh/betamax>

    ok thanks for that further info.
    tg, Nov 26, 2008
  7. tg

    alexd Guest

    tg wrote:

    > ha ha I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to need it and believe me
    > I'm not looking forward to the setup.

    I almost dread to ask, but why not use something a little less awkward like
    Trixbox?

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    21:14:34 up 14 days, 8 min, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.11, 0.09
    alexd, Nov 27, 2008
  8. tg

    tg Guest

    "alexd" <> wrote in message
    > tg wrote:
    >
    >> ha ha I know exactly what you mean. I'm going to need it and believe
    >> me
    >> I'm not looking forward to the setup.

    > I almost dread to ask, but why not use something a little less awkward
    > like
    > Trixbox?

    I like the idea of running the pbx on a device specifically designed to
    run 24 hrs a day. PC's are not designed to run 'all' the time and I
    would like a system that I just turn on and forget. Routers are designed
    to run all the time. Plus I figure hey, what's the point of life if not
    to torture oneself with cisco gear?
    tg, Nov 27, 2008
  9. tg

    Iain Guest

    tg wrote:

    > PC's are not designed to run 'all' the time

    It's not often that you get to read such utter rubbish, even on usenet.
    Iain, Dec 12, 2008
  10. tg

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Iain <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : tg wrote:
    :
    : > PC's are not designed to run 'all' the time
    :
    : It's not often that you get to read such utter rubbish, even on
    : usenet.

    Indeed. Cite proof that PC's are not designed to run all the time. I've
    got servers at work that have been up for years.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 12, 2008
  11. tg

    Guest

    On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:17:54 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Iain <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    >: tg wrote:
    >:
    >: > PC's are not designed to run 'all' the time
    >:
    >: It's not often that you get to read such utter rubbish, even on
    >: usenet.
    >
    >Indeed. Cite proof that PC's are not designed to run all the time. I've
    >got servers at work that have been up for years.

    I wouldn't like to be paying your electricity bill in that case Ivor .
    , Dec 12, 2008
  12. tg

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    :
    : >:
    : >: It's not often that you get to read such utter rubbish, even on
    : >: usenet.
    : >
    : >Indeed. Cite proof that PC's are not designed to run all the time.
    : >I've got servers at work that have been up for years.
    : I wouldn't like to be paying your electricity bill in that case Ivor .

    You don't have to then Ron, the company does. Now if they were switched
    off, how would users access them..?

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Dec 13, 2008
  13. tg

    alexd Guest

    wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 16:17:54 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:

    >> Indeed. Cite proof that PC's are not designed to run all the time. I've
    >> got servers at work that have been up for years.

    > I wouldn't like to be paying your electricity bill in that case Ivor .

    Evidently that's not the only thing you wouldn't like to be paying for. Just
    ask Neil McRae.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    11:20:46 up 8 days, 13:33, 1 user, load average: 0.05, 0.06, 0.02
    alexd, Dec 13, 2008