Newbie buying Nikon D50 SLR Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ralph, May 29, 2006.

  1. Ralph

    Ralph Guest

    Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
    years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
    lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

    The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
    resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
    copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
    printing....

    But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
    to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
    taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
    sports photography.

    I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
    on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
    I think I like the Nikon.

    I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

    Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
    Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
    extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
    Nikon SLR System Case
    USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
    buy it now price is $789.

    (I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
    problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
    that cost about 8 times this camera).

    Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
    about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
    more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
    I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
    left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
    experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.

    What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?

    Thanks!!

    Ralph, May 29, 2006

  2. Ralph

    RW+/- Guest

    On 28 May 2006 18:30:13 -0700, Ralph wrote:

    > Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
    > years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
    > lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    > having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

    If its dirt track stuff then you better think twice about it. Dirt in the
    camera and all that.

    RW+/-, May 29, 2006

  3. Ralph

    Bill Guest

    Ralph wrote:

    >But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
    >to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
    >taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
    >sports photography.
    >
    >Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    >Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
    >Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens

    The only problem might be the focus speed of the 55-200 for sports
    action. That lense is not one of the faster models so you may find that
    catching the right focus will require some planning and hitting the
    right anticipation point.

    The D50 will be much better than the old Kodak, but focus speed is
    important in sports and the 55-200 is pretty near the bottom of the pack
    for a telephoto zoom - but that's to be expected for a $200 lense.

    You can try it out and see how you like it. The faster speed over the
    Kodak may be enough for what you do.

    Bill, May 29, 2006
  4. Ralph

    Ralph Guest

    Thanks, Bill.
    What kind of lens would you recommend? I have never owed a zoom lens
    or a detachable lens of any kind.
    Thanks!!

    Ralph, May 29, 2006
  6. Ralph

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "Ralph" <> wrote:

    > But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
    > to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
    > taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
    > sports photography.
    >
    > I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
    > on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
    > I think I like the Nikon.
    >
    > I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
    >
    > Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    > Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
    > Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
    > extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
    > Nikon SLR System Case
    > USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
    > buy it now price is $789.

    This would be good. You'll love it.

    The D50 is absolutely fine. I have the D70s, which has only one
    advantage over the D50 in this situation: 3 frames per second instead of
    2.5. But that's a minor difference compared to the Kodak you're coming
    from.

    What the D50 wll give you, apart from speed of focus and shooting is:

    - high quality live optical viewfinder

    - zoom as fast or slow as yhou can turn the ring on the lens

    - much geater sensitivity (ISO). You can crank it up to ISO 800 or more
    so that the camera needs less light to take the photo, so you can use
    faster shutter speeds in dimmer light to freeze the action, and still
    get a less noisy picture than the Kodak

    - more control over depth of field, so you can focus on the motorcyle
    and have the background nicely blurred (or not, if you choose)

    If this is what you can spend then go for it! If you can get the
    70-300mm lens instead then that is by most accounts a slightly better
    lens (while still being inexpensive) and with quite a bit more "reach".

    I haven't shot motorcycle racing with my D70 yet, but in January I took
    photos at the NZ Gliding Grand Prix, using the cheap (US$110 - US$140)
    70-300 lens.

    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/sets/72057594079545291/

    A lot of these gliders were doing 150 - 190 mph just in front of me e.g.:

    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110784982
    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782473

    You can see the effect of much shallower depth of field than you'll be
    used to getting, making the subjects stand out from the background, in
    photos such as these:

    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782813
    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110782523
    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110783844
    http://flickr.com/photos/brucehoult/110785662

    Good luck!

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, May 29, 2006
  7. Ralph

    J. Clarke Guest

    Ralph wrote:

    > Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
    > years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
    > lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    > having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.
    >
    > The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
    > resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
    > copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
    > printing....
    >
    > But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
    > to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
    > taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
    > sports photography.
    >
    > I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
    > on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
    > I think I like the Nikon.
    >
    > I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
    >
    > Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    > Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
    > Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
    > extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
    > Nikon SLR System Case
    > USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
    > buy it now price is $789.
    >
    > (I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
    > problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
    > that cost about 8 times this camera).

    Not a bad price, but if you care about warranty and you are in the US make
    sure it has a Nikon USA warranty (not just a "US warranty", some sellers
    provide their own warranty that is only as good as they are, and not just a
    "Nikon warranty" which might not be valid in the US).

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, May 29, 2006
  8. Ralph

    Don Stauffer Guest

    We bought a D50 in late winter. We've had it for several months now, and
    shot a couple thousand frames with it. We love it. Autofocus is fast,
    manual focus is easy. Shutter lag is almost imperceptible.

    Don Stauffer, May 29, 2006
  9. Ralph

    Guest

    Thus spake RW+/- () unto the assembled multitudes:
    > On 28 May 2006 18:30:13 -0700, Ralph wrote:

    >> Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
    >> years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
    >> lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    >> having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

    > If its dirt track stuff then you better think twice about it. Dirt in the
    > camera and all that.

    (1) Put a UV filter on the front of the lens to protect it, and (2) enclose
    the camera in a transparent plastic bag (with a hole for the lens). That
    should help protect your pride and joy and allow you to shoot in adverse
    conditions.

    --

    Andy Clews
    University of Sussex

    , May 29, 2006
  10. >I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
    >on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
    >I think I like the Nikon.

    Good choice.

    >I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:

    >Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    >buy it now price is $789.

    That's about the price you would pay in a store for a camera with no
    warranty or service...
    Buy local, you get better service and a warranty you can rely upon.
    And no chance of never getting the item after paying (which does happen a
    lot with cameras on eBay).

    And support your local store. You already made them spend money on you by
    visiting them and taking up their time (and possibly handling their
    equipment).
    Repay them by giving them your business. They're not much more expensive and
    if you value having them around for years to come you should support them.

    Jeroen Wenting, May 29, 2006
  11. Ralph

    Freedom55 Guest

    Ralph wrote:
    > Photgraphy is an avocation I enjoy. I owned a Koday D740 for about 2
    > years. That was the most advanced digital camera I've owned. Took
    > lots of family pix, I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    > having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.
    >
    > The Kodak camera was a max 5.0 Megapixels. I usually shot 2.1
    > resolution, and that was fine, as I rarely printed pix, just usually
    > copied them to my hard drive. But I would like to do a lot more
    > printing....
    >
    > But, my Kodak was pretty slow for motorcycle racing. And the button had
    > to be depressed for about 2 sec's so the camera could focus, prior to
    > taking the shot. This is not a desirable feature for any kind of fast
    > sports photography.
    >
    > I am ready to move up to a better camera. I have done a lot of reading
    > on forums. I visited a camera store and compared some Digital SLR's.
    > I think I like the Nikon.
    >
    > I see some pretty attractive packages on ebay, such as:
    >
    > Item No 7624038643 includes Camera and 2 lenses:
    > Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens, and
    > Nikon 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens
    > extra EN-EL3 Li-ion Battery Pack
    > Nikon SLR System Case
    > USB 2.0 High Speed SecureDigital™ Card Reader
    > buy it now price is $789.
    >
    > (I have a lot of experience with buying on Ebay, and never had any
    > problems. I know how to do it and not get ripped off. I've bought items
    > that cost about 8 times this camera).
    >
    > Of course, there is higher quality and higher prices. But this is
    > about the price range I am willing to spend. I don't need anything
    > more advanced, as I am not planning to do any professional photography.
    > I've tried to think of all the info I should share, but I'm sure I've
    > left out some very important info. Many of you have a LOT more
    > experience than I do. I've never owned a SLR.
    >
    > What do you think of this camera package at this price for me?
    >
    > Thanks!!

    If you value your new camera don't take a chance on ebay. Support your
    local camera shop. You may be paying a little more but you will get it
    all back with good service and practical advice.

    Ron
    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, May 29, 2006
  12. Ralph

    Alan Meyer Guest

    Ralph wrote:
    > ...I also like to take pix of motorcycle racing. So
    > having fast processing and fast frames per second is important.

    I never used the Nikon and can't comment on it. But here's
    a tip for getting fast photos.

    If your camera allows pre-focusing and fixed exposure
    settings, setup the shot in advance by using them. Then
    when the motorcycles speed by, you'll get very fast response
    when pushing the shutter release. Depending on the amount
    of light and the focal length of the lens you're using, you may
    be able to set the focus to the middle of a reasonable depth
    of field and get multiple shots, all in focus and properly
    exposed.

    If the Kodak doesn't support manual capability, you can get
    the same effect by pushing the shutter release half way down
    _before_ the bikes get in range so that you're focused and
    have exposure set when they come into the field of view.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, May 29, 2006
  13. Ralph

    Bill Guest

    Ralph wrote:

    >Thanks, Bill.

    No problem...

    However, most prefer if you quote relevant portions of previous posts
    since many users frequent several groups and read dozens of messages.
    Sometimes it's hard to remember exactly what was said.

    >What kind of lens would you recommend?

    A good one! :)

    "Good" is relative though...

    For some, a $200 lense is good enough. For me, I need something better,
    so a $600-800 lense is needed. For others, a $1000-2000 lense is
    required for what they want to shoot. And a few need those $5000
    telephoto lenses for distant wildlife shots.

    > I have never owed a zoom lens or a detachable lens of any kind.

    Like I mentioned before, you really need to know what's available and
    what type of shooting you're going to be doing. I suggest you visit a
    store and handle the cameras and lenses. Talk to the sales reps and see
    what they think of focus speed and how it will relate to your needs.

    After they make some recommendations, come back here with the model
    names and numbers, and we'll give you opinions of the lenses.

    Bill, May 30, 2006