    Angel
    -------------

    'The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up'

    Angel, May 9, 2004

  2. Angel

    Angel Guest

    2
    > meters behind the other, the nearest about 2 meters from me. I wanted

    both
    > kids in focus. Using aperture priority, what F stop should I use, and how
    > would you work this out, or is it just down to experience. I appreciate I
    > would most prob need a tripod for this shot.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance
    >
    > --
    > -------------
    > Angel
    > -------------
    >
    > 'The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up'

    and which kid would I focus on?

    Angel, May 9, 2004

  3. "Angel" {} wrote in message
    } "Angel" {} wrote in message
    } news:80wnc.644$...
    } } Hi
    } }
    } } I have a Fuji 602. I wanted to take a photo of my kids, 1 standing
    approx
    } 2
    } } meters behind the other, the nearest about 2 meters from me. I wanted
    } both
    } } kids in focus. Using aperture priority, what F stop should I use, and
    how
    } } would you work this out, or is it just down to experience. I appreciate
    } } would most prob need a tripod for this shot.
    } }
    } } Many thanks in advance
    } }
    } } --
    } } -------------
    } } Angel
    } } -------------
    } }
    } } 'The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up'
    } }
    }
    } and which kid would I focus on?

    Use a Depth of Field calculator, such as
    http://dfleming.ameranet.com/dofjs.html.

    It depends upon the zoom you're using, so a 50mm lens would need f/11
    focused 2.7 metres from the camera.

    Regards,
    Aaron Queenan.

    Aaron Queenan, May 9, 2004
  4. Angel

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Angel wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Fuji 602. I wanted to take a photo of my kids, 1 standing approx 2
    > meters behind the other, the nearest about 2 meters from me. I wanted both
    > kids in focus. Using aperture priority, what F stop should I use, and how
    > would you work this out, or is it just down to experience. I appreciate I
    > would most prob need a tripod for this shot.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance

    Depth of field (getting everything in focus) isn't that much of a problem
    for most consumer grade digital cameras. If you've got enough light
    to dial f/8 and shoot wide angle, you should easily get everything in
    focus.

    I guess you could study the theory of hyperfocal distance and arm yourself
    with charts and calculators.. But, it's so much easier just to try it..
    Practice.. The great thing about digital is that it costs nothing :)

    Jim Townsend, May 9, 2004
  5. Angel

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Focus on one, then on the second, and set the focus about half way
    between those two positions. Best focus is SLIGHTLY ahead of that
    middle line, but just splitting the distance is close enough.

    I will not give an estimate on f/#, it depends on too many other
    things. Bracketing is the real answer. That is, shoot shot at SEVERAL
    apertures, around mid range values.

    Angel wrote:

    > "Angel" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I have a Fuji 602. I wanted to take a photo of my kids, 1 standing approx

    > 2
    > > meters behind the other, the nearest about 2 meters from me. I wanted

    > both
    > > kids in focus. Using aperture priority, what F stop should I use, and how
    > > would you work this out, or is it just down to experience. I appreciate I
    > > would most prob need a tripod for this shot.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance
    > >
    > > --
    > > Angel
    > >
    > > 'The sooner you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up'
    > >

    > and which kid would I focus on?

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, May 10, 2004