Newbie alert!. How can I restrict bandwidth between to SQL servers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mark.pearson@cba.com.au, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hi
    I have two SQL2000 servers in different sites, once a day approximately

    1M of data in the form of a large update is required to be transfered
    between the 2. We have use of a 2M pipe between the servers but there
    is no quality of service, the other users on the pipe are traders so
    there must be no interruption in the quality of their bandwidth at any
    time.

    Is there any way of throttling back the data transfer between the two
    servers to restrict its bandwidth use. Obviously we want to retain the

    max bandwidth on our local network.
    The pipe is administered by a seperate company so we do not have admin
    access to their gateways, routers etc.. so a solution which we can
    implement on our database servers would be the easiest.
    I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this but any
    information would be great

    Thanks
    Mark
    , Jun 9, 2005

  2. Neil Pike Guest

    Mark,

    If we're talking SQL replication here then there's no way to throttle it on
    the server. Really you should be talking to your network provider about QOS!

    Anyway, your only other option would be to purchase a bandwidth management
    tool - like a Packeteer - and stick that between your LAN and you wan routers.
    You could then prioritise traffic with that. You'd two - one at each end of
    the WAN link.

    > I have two SQL2000 servers in different sites, once a day approximately
    >
    > 1M of data in the form of a large update is required to be transfered
    > between the 2. We have use of a 2M pipe between the servers but there
    > is no quality of service, the other users on the pipe are traders so
    > there must be no interruption in the quality of their bandwidth at any
    > time.
    >
    > Is there any way of throttling back the data transfer between the two
    > servers to restrict its bandwidth use. Obviously we want to retain the
    >
    > max bandwidth on our local network.
    > The pipe is administered by a seperate company so we do not have admin
    > access to their gateways, routers etc.. so a solution which we can
    > implement on our database servers would be the easiest.
    > I am not sure if this is the right newsgroup for this but any
    > information would be great
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mark

    Neil Pike