    Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone upon off-hook
    and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on the other side.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Aug 31, 2008

  2. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter I can
    > install between a broadband router and a PABX. It must feature RJ45
    > Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone upon off-hook
    > and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on the other side.
    >
    > Tony

    Hello Tony, welcome.
    I use a Liknsys PAP2, it has two separate CO lines
    but each one only supports a single VoIP account.
    More flexible devices exist.

    Have you decided on a VoIP service provider?
    Do you require an incoming and outgoing service?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 31, 2008

  3. On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 22:46:22 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    > "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote in message
    >> Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter I can
    >> install between a broadband router and a PABX. It must feature RJ45
    >> Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone upon off-hook
    >> and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on the other side.
    >>
    >> Tony

    > Hello Tony, welcome.
    > I use a Liknsys PAP2, it has two separate CO lines
    > but each one only supports a single VoIP account.
    > More flexible devices exist.
    >
    > Have you decided on a VoIP service provider?
    > Do you require an incoming and outgoing service?

    Thanks for the reply. I have an old voipcheap account that I can use on
    the road from my notebook and I just thought maybe I could open it for use
    by the family as one of the outgoing lines on the home PABX as there are
    free calls to a bunch of places. I've never even thought about incoming.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Aug 31, 2008
  4. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    >>> Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter I can
    >>> install between a broadband router and a PABX. It must feature RJ45
    >>> Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone upon
    >>> off-hook
    >>> and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on the other side.
    >>>
    >>> Tony

    >> Hello Tony, welcome.
    >> I use a Liknsys PAP2, it has two separate CO lines
    >> but each one only supports a single VoIP account.
    >> More flexible devices exist.
    >>
    >> Have you decided on a VoIP service provider?
    >> Do you require an incoming and outgoing service?

    > Thanks for the reply. I have an old voipcheap account that I can use on
    > the road from my notebook and I just thought maybe I could open it for use
    > by the family as one of the outgoing lines on the home PABX as there are
    > free calls to a bunch of places. I've never even thought about incoming.
    >
    > Tony

    You may be aware that there are two voipcheaps,
    ..com and .co.uk.
    The .co.uk version used to give you an incoming number and
    I have left a couple of cents in the account and so far the
    number is still active.
    I didn't specify what number I wanted but amazingly I
    got 0161 700 XXXX, most people round here would
    assume that was a North Manchester number which is
    where I am. The XXXX is pretty memorable too.

    I use a different Betamax clone for O/G calls now,
    http://www.smslisto.com
    you can call a UK mobile for 4.5ppm

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 31, 2008
  5. Anthony R. Gold

    Brian A Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:49:27 +0100, "Graham." <> wrote:

    >>> Hello Tony, welcome.
    >>> I use a Liknsys PAP2, it has two separate CO lines
    >>> but each one only supports a single VoIP account.
    >>> More flexible devices exist.
    >>>
    >>> Have you decided on a VoIP service provider?
    >>> Do you require an incoming and outgoing service?

    >> Thanks for the reply. I have an old voipcheap account that I can use on
    >> the road from my notebook and I just thought maybe I could open it for use
    >> by the family as one of the outgoing lines on the home PABX as there are
    >> free calls to a bunch of places. I've never even thought about incoming.
    >>
    >> Tony

    >You may be aware that there are two voipcheaps,
    >.com and .co.uk.
    >The .co.uk version used to give you an incoming number and
    >I have left a couple of cents in the account and so far the
    >number is still active.
    >I didn't specify what number I wanted but amazingly I
    >got 0161 700 XXXX, most people round here would
    >assume that was a North Manchester number which is
    >where I am. The XXXX is pretty memorable too.
    >
    >I use a different Betamax clone for O/G calls now,
    >http://www.smslisto.com
    >you can call a UK mobile for 4.5ppm

    If you want to integrate a landline connection into the system then
    look at the Linksys SPA-3102. This means that you can connect the same
    set of handsets to work with both voip and a landline.
    ---
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
    ---

    Brian A, Sep 1, 2008
  6. On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 10:32:10 GMT, Brian A <>
    wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the reply. I have an old voipcheap account that I can use on
    >>> the road from my notebook and I just thought maybe I could open it for use
    >>> by the family as one of the outgoing lines on the home PABX as there are
    >>> free calls to a bunch of places. I've never even thought about incoming.
    >>>
    >>> Tony

    >> You may be aware that there are two voipcheaps,
    >> .com and .co.uk.
    >> The .co.uk version used to give you an incoming number and
    >> I have left a couple of cents in the account and so far the
    >> number is still active.
    >> I didn't specify what number I wanted but amazingly I
    >> got 0161 700 XXXX, most people round here would
    >> assume that was a North Manchester number which is
    >> where I am. The XXXX is pretty memorable too.

    Mine is an old .co.uk account but I had never asked for a number. I just
    looked and get this:

    "Sorry – at this moment there are no VoIP-In numbers available for your
    country (yet). We will inform you as soon as there are (new) numbers
    available for your region"

    :-(

    >> I use a different Betamax clone for O/G calls now,
    >> http://www.smslisto.com
    >> you can call a UK mobile for 4.5ppm

    > If you want to integrate a landline connection into the system then
    > look at the Linksys SPA-3102. This means that you can connect the same
    > set of handsets to work with both voip and a landline.

    I have a spare CO port on my PABX that I had intended to use for this VOIP
    adapter, so I guess I would not get any extra benefit from this device.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Sep 1, 2008
  7. Anthony R. Gold

    Don Guest

    On Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:50 PM [GMT+1=CET],
    Anthony R. Gold <> wrote:

    > Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter I
    > can install between a broadband router and a PABX. It must feature
    > RJ45 Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone
    > upon off-hook and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on
    > the other side.
    >
    > Tony

    On Monday, September 01, 2008 11:32 AM [GMT+1=CET],
    Brian A <> wrote:

    > If you want to integrate a landline connection into the system then
    > look at the Linksys SPA-3102. This means that you can connect the same
    > set of handsets to work with both voip and a landline.
    > ---

    That's not a lot of help to the OP because he wanted to connect it as an
    additional line on a PABX, so will therefore presumably want to be able to
    handle simultaneous calls on both landline and VOIP line from different PABX
    extensions. The facility to select the landline on the SPA-3102 won't be
    needed, as connecting both it and the PABX to the same landline will cause
    mayhem.

    I would have thought any basic ATA would do the trick for the OP. I use a
    Grandstream Handytone 486 in just the way he describes, with the VOIP line
    working fine for both incoming and outgoing calls via Sipgate. The only
    difference is that when dailling local calls the full STD code is needed.
    This could be overcome by using a slightly more sophisticated ATA having
    facilities to set up a dial plan.

    The other trick is that when making a call on the VOIP line, if I add a "#"
    to the end of the number the call will connect quicker, otherwise Sipgate
    waits a few seconds to see if there are any more digits coming along.

    --
    Don

    Don, Sep 1, 2008
  8. Anthony R. Gold

    alexd Guest

    On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 20:50:37 +0100, Anthony R. Gold wrote:

    > Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter

    I've had no trouble with my Grandstream HT486. I discovered the other day
    that it even passes CallerID for a waiting call, which was a pleasant
    surprise. In the >2 years I've had it, it hasn't done anything annoying
    like lose its config or need periodic reboots.

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    18:50:11 up 51 days, 21:28, 2 users, load average: 0.09, 0.08, 0.08

    alexd, Sep 1, 2008
  9. Anthony R. Gold

    Graham. Guest

    "Don" <> wrote in message
    > On Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:50 PM [GMT+1=CET],
    > Anthony R. Gold <> wrote:
    >
    >> Could someone give me advice on a simple and reliable SIP adapter I
    >> can install between a broadband router and a PABX. It must feature
    >> RJ45 Ethernet on one side and a copper pair that offers dial tone
    >> upon off-hook and behaves entirely like a DTMF compatible CO line on
    >> the other side.
    >>
    >> Tony

    > On Monday, September 01, 2008 11:32 AM [GMT+1=CET],
    > Brian A <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you want to integrate a landline connection into the system then
    >> look at the Linksys SPA-3102. This means that you can connect the same
    >> set of handsets to work with both voip and a landline.
    >> ---

    > That's not a lot of help to the OP because he wanted to connect it as an
    > additional line on a PABX, so will therefore presumably want to be able to
    > handle simultaneous calls on both landline and VOIP line from different
    > PABX extensions. The facility to select the landline on the SPA-3102
    > won't be needed, as connecting both it and the PABX to the same landline
    > will cause mayhem.
    >
    > I would have thought any basic ATA would do the trick for the OP. I use a
    > Grandstream Handytone 486 in just the way he describes, with the VOIP line
    > working fine for both incoming and outgoing calls via Sipgate. The only
    > difference is that when dailling local calls the full STD code is needed.
    > This could be overcome by using a slightly more sophisticated ATA having
    > facilities to set up a dial plan.

    Or alternatively use Voxalot

    > The other trick is that when making a call on the VOIP line, if I add a
    > "#" to the end of the number the call will connect quicker, otherwise
    > Sipgate waits a few seconds to see if there are any more digits coming
    > along.

    I thought it was the ATA itself rather than the service provider that

    waited for more digits.

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%