    Thanks in advance for your advice.

    --
    - Harrison

    skymuffins, Dec 13, 2003

  2. skymuffins

    Eric Holt Guest

    Harrison:

    I'm sorry that I cant answer your question, but just wondered
    if you were the same skymuffins that posts with Steph on A.M.C-A? If
    so, welcome to rec.photo.digital:) I have the 300D and its a fine
    camera, you'd be quite happy with either the 10D or the 300D.

    Nice seeing ya here:)

    --Eric
    (Sorry for the OT post)

    Eric Holt, Dec 13, 2003

  3. skymuffins

    skymuffins Guest

    "Eric Holt" <> wrote in message
    > Harrison:
    >
    > I'm sorry that I cant answer your question, but just wondered
    > if you were the same skymuffins that posts with Steph on A.M.C-A? If
    > so, welcome to rec.photo.digital:) I have the 300D and its a fine
    > camera, you'd be quite happy with either the 10D or the 300D.
    >
    > Nice seeing ya here:)
    >
    > --Eric
    > (Sorry for the OT post)

    Bwaaa Haaa Haaa... I'd better start lurking lest you-know-who finds me over
    here :). Yup, Steph says its OK to get a new camera. I have a 2.1mp Sony
    now... my Ex took my entire Nikon setup in the divorce back in '89. I've
    been waiting for a D-SLR camera to finally come down where a mortal can
    afford it.

    I just don't want to call one of those mail order places and get the run
    around. I want to know what the catch is before I drop a grand or two sight
    unseen.

    - Harrison.

    skymuffins, Dec 13, 2003
  4. "skymuffins" <> writes:

    > I have been looking to get a 10D or 300D in January or February... In many
    > of the adds in the back of the magazine there are prices for the 10D with 2
    > lenses (Canon, not knockoffs), and a bunch of others stuff for about $1500.
    > One add even had the 10D body at $1000. and the 300D at $700. What is the
    > catch here... 'cuz I know there must be one. I know that retail the 10D is
    > $1499 and the 300D is $899.

    Usually you will be whacked for 'extras' at obscene prices, and if you try to
    buy the camera without them, the camera will mysteriously not be available any
    more. Sometimes these extras are things that the manufacturer includes in the
    box (like batteries, etc.). Sometimes the camera does not have a valid US
    warranty.

    Note, there are legitimate vendors in the photo mags, such as B&H, Adorama.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Dec 13, 2003
  5. According to skymuffins <>:
    > I have been looking to get a 10D or 300D in January or February...
    > In many of the adds in the back of the magazine there are prices for
    > the 10D with 2 lenses (Canon, not knockoffs), and a bunch of others
    > stuff for about $1500. One add even had the 10D body at $1000. and
    > the 300D at $700. What is the catch here... 'cuz I know there must
    > be one. I know that retail the 10D is $1499 and the 300D is $899.

    These are usually "grey market", which means they're bought outside the US and
    shipped in, thus they don't come with the Canon warranty. I assume it's still
    legal, but you're buying a product that will likely have little to no support
    in the future if something breaks, not to mention that the reseller may be
    shady in other ways anyway.

    Go with a reputable source and pay the retail amount; the price is basically
    constant among trustworthy sources. Newegg and B&H are my favorites
    (www.newegg.com and www.bhphotovideo.com)

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net

    Ethan Trewhitt, Dec 13, 2003
  6. skymuffins

    Pood Guest

    On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:40:59 -0500, "Ethan Trewhitt"
    <> wrote:

    >According to skymuffins <>:
    >> I have been looking to get a 10D or 300D in January or February...
    >> In many of the adds in the back of the magazine there are prices for
    >> the 10D with 2 lenses (Canon, not knockoffs), and a bunch of others
    >> stuff for about $1500. One add even had the 10D body at $1000. and
    >> the 300D at $700. What is the catch here... 'cuz I know there must
    >> be one. I know that retail the 10D is $1499 and the 300D is $899.

    >These are usually "grey market", which means they're bought outside the US and
    >shipped in, thus they don't come with the Canon warranty. I assume it's still
    >legal, but you're buying a product that will likely have little to no support
    >in the future if something breaks, not to mention that the reseller may be
    >shady in other ways anyway.
    >
    >Go with a reputable source and pay the retail amount; the price is basically
    >constant among trustworthy sources. Newegg and B&H are my favorites
    >(www.newegg.com and www.bhphotovideo.com)

    Sometimes dealing with these greymarket hustlers can be a learning
    experience, but sometimes it can save you lots of money, too--provided
    you don't mind all the abuse and returning crap you didn't order, etc.
    It makes sense to buy some things greymarket, just to save nearly 30%
    in some cases. Even reputable big dealers like B&H have greymarket
    lenses available (along with the full retail ones). It doens't mean
    you can't get these greymarket things fixed, but it can mean that
    you'll have to send the item to a specified repair facility for
    whatever warranty is provided.

    Pood, Dec 13, 2003
  7. skymuffins

    Eric Holt Guest

    Harrison:

    My only suggestion would be to stick with one of the big
    reputable dealers that advertises in the back of PHOTOgraphic.
    (Looking at my current issue, that would be Adorama and B&H. I've
    personally bought from both, and have had no trouble. They wont try
    to sell you a bunch of extras that you dont need just to be able to
    sell you the camera way under their cost. Also, make sure you arnt
    buying Gray Market items... those are items made/meant to be sold in
    other countries and dont come with USA warranties. Same exact
    product, and cheaper...but dont include that USA warranty that you
    never know if you'll need or not. Oh yeah even tho
    Ritz(Ritzcamera.com) and NewEgg(newegg.com) dont advertise in
    PHOTOgraphic, I'd reccomend both of them too. I just ordered a new
    camera bag from NewEgg.com on Friday morning, and got the tracking #
    that it shipped on Friday evening. Quite happy with that if ya ask
    me:)

    Good luck!!!

    PS, remind Steph she only has a month and 6 days... ;)

    --Eric Holt

    Eric Holt, Dec 13, 2003
  8. On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:16:16 GMT, "skymuffins"
    <> wrote:

    >I have been looking to get a 10D or 300D in January or February... In many
    >of the adds in the back of the magazine there are prices for the 10D with 2
    >lenses (Canon, not knockoffs), and a bunch of others stuff for about $1500.
    >One add even had the 10D body at $1000. and the 300D at $700. What is the
    >catch here... 'cuz I know there must be one. I know that retail the 10D is
    >$1499 and the 300D is $899.
    >
    >Thanks in advance for your advice.

    Legally, a manufacturer cannot make a store sell an item a given
    price. The manufacturer has "MSRP' - manufacturers suggested retail
    price. for the most part, cameras by different companies are desinged
    to compete at different price levels - same as cars, computers, shoes,
    food, etc. Manufacturers can keep a store from advertising prices
    other than MSRP, the theory being no one can advertise a discount
    price so the brand has more value.

    So a $1500 MSRP may mean a store buys a camera for $900.
    Theoretically, it is illegal for a manufacturer to sell the same
    camera at different prices to different stores, although this does of
    course happen in some form. Usually if you have Bob's Photo and you
    sell 3 cameras a year, you buy from a distributor who marks up the
    price from Canon, etc. Where as Cameras R us that sell 1,000 canons a
    month buys directly from canon, may pay cash instead of credit, etc,
    so they pay less per unit.

    How much markup and profit a company charges is, well, up to them. No
    law says they have to make a profit. 'Loss Leaders' are common -
    check your local grocery store any day of the week - this weeks sale
    items are being sold at or even below cost - the hope is you buy other
    high margin/profit items while you are there. Is this a bad thing? I
    doubt it.

    I too try to save a buck. Current camera i bought from a friend, you
    bought it as a refurbishied unit on eBay. My last camera was bought on
    eBay as a refurb unit. No problems. I have heard the horror stories
    though, of cameras with japanese only language in them, etc.

    You may consider supporting your local (independent) camera store if
    possible. Here we have a chain of Ritz stores, with somewhat less than
    knowledgeable help, and only 2 (that i can find) inde stores left. It
    is the same in other 'hobby' fields.

    You generally get what you pay for - so compare bottom line totals - i
    often see stuf on ebay for $2, with $20 shipping...or the same item
    for $10 with $6 shipping...you have to see the total. If you pay with
    a credit card, the credit card company can step up on your behalf -
    even to the point of taking the money back from the merchant without
    the merchant's consent, if youare unsatisfied.

    So if a local store wants $1500, plus you want to buy other things and
    the total is $2100, plus tax no shipping, compare that to the store
    that wants $1000 and maybe $800 for the accessories, and no tax plus
    shipping. Those pretty ads in the magazines are EXPENSIVE, so amyone
    who has been running ads for a long time has to be making money, you
    almost have to have repeat business to do that, so someone out there
    must be happy!

    BTW, I have over 10 years in the mail order discount business
    (motorcycle parts and accessories) and a couple of years on eBay, as
    well as other retail experience.

    Remember this, the Peter pan penaut butter i buy at walmart for $2.28
    is the exact same stuff i can buy at the local grocer for $3.95. I
    hate to see the local grocer fail, but hey, what can i do? I cannot
    keep him open all by my self! I just hate to see what happens to us
    all when walmart is all that is left...

    chris

    Chris P in PA, Dec 13, 2003
  9. skymuffins

    Skymuffins Guest

    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I hate haggling with vendors, so I
    may just go the route of buying a 300D at retail (after Xmas there may be
    some deals anyway).

    Thanks Again!

    - Harrison.

    Skymuffins, Dec 14, 2003