    If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.

    Vaughan.
    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011

  2. Vaughan Dodd

    Guest

    On 8/05/2011 11:34 a.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
    > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >
    > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >
    > If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    > will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >
    > Vaughan.

    There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
    it, it's not bad, but a little slow

    Greg (another victim of vodafone)
    , May 8, 2011

  3. Vaughan Dodd

    Peter Guest

    Vaughan Dodd wrote:
    > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >
    > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

    Currently, Xnet runs a newsgroup server.
    They did shut it down for a while, but it is back running now. It is fairly
    fast (compared to the free ones I've tried), but seems to have a restricted
    number of groups. 111,000 in the list, but seems to be missing some I'd
    like.

    If you are enquiring with an ISP, be sure to clearly state you are after
    newsgroup service. I would even say you'll buy their ISP service on
    condition that they include newsgroup servers in the deal. (Not that this
    has helped me in the past, but if enough people speak up about this, maybe
    the ISPs will respond).

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, May 8, 2011
  4. Vaughan Dodd

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, in message <>
    Vaughan Dodd wrote:

    > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >
    > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >
    > If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    > will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.

    Times have changed.
    Get a Usenet server separately from your ISP.

    Here are some choices

    1) news.individual.net -- Euro 10 per year; no binaries / text only.
    see http://news.individual.net/

    2) Astraweb - 25GB non-expiring block account for USD 10.
    see http://www.news.astraweb.com/

    3) APN - USD 2.95 per month
    http://www.forteinc.com/apn/index.php

    Free servers

    4) usenet4all.se - requires registration; no binaries / text only.
    see http://www.usenet4all.se/

    5) aioe - no registration; no binaries / text only.
    see http://www.aioe.org/

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, May 8, 2011
  5. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    In article <LYkxp.9536$>,
    says...

    > On 8/05/2011 11:34 a.m., Vaughan Dodd wrote:
    > > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > > Vodafone will pay any attention.
    > >
    > > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    > >
    > > If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    > > will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    > >
    > > Vaughan.
    > >

    > There is terranews.com, there is a small (a few dollars) on off fee for
    > it, it's not bad, but a little slow
    >

    > Greg (another victim of vodafone)

    Adding this to check out. Have also discovered usenetserver.com, and
    although not an NZ service, might meed my needs. terranews.com as
    this might be a longer term solution more appropriate for what I do.
    Still end up giving Money for Vodafone to administer the data cap
    though. Don't udnerstand why they don't subcontract to a usenet
    provider ratehr than just pretend that it doesn't matter to their
    customers.
    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  6. Vaughan Dodd

    victor Guest

    Two free options are http://www.eternal-september.org/ and
    http://www.aioe.org/
    victor, May 8, 2011
  7. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    In article <4dc5e041$>,
    says...

    > Vaughan Dodd wrote:
    > > A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > > am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > > Vodafone will pay any attention.
    > >
    > > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

    > Currently, Xnet runs a newsgroup server.
    > They did shut it down for a while, but it is back running now. It is fairly
    > fast (compared to the free ones I've tried), but seems to have a restricted
    > number of groups. 111,000 in the list, but seems to be missing some I'd
    > like.
    >
    > If you are enquiring with an ISP, be sure to clearly state you are after
    > newsgroup service. I would even say you'll buy their ISP service on
    > condition that they include newsgroup servers in the deal. (Not that this
    > has helped me in the past, but if enough people speak up about this, maybe
    > the ISPs will respond).
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    More promising that I thought, with two recommendations.

    Wonder if there is something to be said for the smaller ISP, in that
    there is no multinational corporate manipulation of New Zealand
    services to meet priorities not directly related to small groups of
    New Zealand users.

    Thanks.

    Vaughan.
    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  8. Vaughan Dodd

    Vaughan Dodd Guest

    In article <>, Tony says...

    > Vaughan Dodd <> wrote:
    > >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    > >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    > >Vodafone will pay any attention.
    > >
    > >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    > >
    > >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    > >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    > >
    > >Vaughan.

    > I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
    > how many groups.
    > I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    > Tony

    I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    could get my custom.

    I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

    Vaughan.
    Vaughan Dodd, May 8, 2011
  9. Vaughan Dodd

    Boots Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd wrote:

    > So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    > reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?

    No.

    None of them promote it, and most of the large ISPs have already stopped
    providing an NNTP service.

    Boots, May 8, 2011
  10. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 8 May 2011 16:10:40 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >In article <>, Tony says...
    >>
    >> Vaughan Dodd <> wrote:
    >> >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >> >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >> >Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >> >
    >> >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >> >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >> >
    >> >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >> >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >> >
    >> >Vaughan.

    >> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
    >> how many groups.
    >> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    >> Tony

    >I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    >fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    >usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    >long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    >could get my custom.
    >
    >I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    >wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    >though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

    I use individual.net for Usenet text (10 euros per year) and Astraweb
    for binaries (USD25 for 180GB). Very pleased with both and I've been
    using them since Xtra let us down and APN (now Easynews) became
    unreliable. So I've used individual.net and Astraweb for over two
    years without any problems.
    Donchano, May 8, 2011
  11. Vaughan Dodd

    Greg Guest

    On 8/05/2011 9:55 p.m., Kiwi wrote:
    > On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >> am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >> Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >>

    > I agree with the comment about Vodafone not responding. I posted some
    > two weeks after the server stopped peeringand eventually rang VF, to
    > be told that the server was faulty and will be shut down. I attempted
    > to respond to the original announcement on the VF forums, only to find
    > that the thread was locked. Started a new thread about the usenet
    > server and received a PM tellling me not to start new topics , but to
    > reply to existing threads???
    >
    > Strangely my new post has not appeared in the forums. :(

    Same deal with me, go to the vodafone group on facebook, and post a
    comment on the relevent thread you see there, looks like someone else in
    vodafone is taking an active interest in forum threads been deleted.

    Basically the only valid reason for a topic in the forums been deleted
    is the use of profanity, I know for sure that my forum topic didn't use
    profanity, and I know yours didn't either.

    I suspect that the person responsible (johnr) didn't like the content as
    I suspect that he may have had some degree of responsibility for the
    sorry state of the news server that's why he's removing the forum topics.

    to be perfectly honest I get the impression that johnr seems to think he
    is more important within vodafone that he actually is and needs to be
    taken down a peg or two. A lesson in customer relations wouldn't go
    amiss either.

    Greg
    Greg, May 9, 2011
  12. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    wrote:

    >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >
    >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >
    >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >
    >Vaughan.

    Actrix
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  13. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:22:04 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Vaughan Dodd <> wrote:
    >>A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >>am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >>Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >>
    >>So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >>reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >>
    >>If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >>will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >>
    >>Vaughan.

    >I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
    >how many groups.
    >I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    >Tony

    Easynews is 10 times better as I have used both.
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  14. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    wrote:

    >In article <>, Tony says...
    >>
    >> Vaughan Dodd <> wrote:
    >> >A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >> >am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >> >Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >> >
    >> >So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >> >reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >> >
    >> >If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >> >will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >> >
    >> >Vaughan.

    >> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
    >> how many groups.
    >> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    >> Tony

    >I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    >fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    >usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    >long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    >could get my custom.
    >
    >I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    >wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    >though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.
    >
    >Vaughan.

    Easynews 10 times better.
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  15. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2011 00:31:14 -0500, Tony <lizandtony at orcon dot net
    dot nz> wrote:

    >Vaughan Dodd <> wrote:

    >>> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like
    >>>or
    >>> how many groups.
    >>> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    >>> Tony

    >>I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    >>fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    >>usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    >>long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    >>could get my custom.
    >>
    >>I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    >>wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    >>though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.
    >>
    >>Vaughan.

    >Yes Giganews is for people who need a server with long retention and
    >completeness. They are more than 1000 days of binaries and much longer of text,
    >at a cost.
    >I have used them for over 5 years and their service is impeccable, occasionally
    >there has been maybe 10 minutes downtime but nothing to be concerned about. One
    >of their servers is in Asia.
    >Joining was easy for me from memory, just a credit card number.
    >God luck in your search.
    >Tony

    Been there done that Easynew is 10 times better as you can Dnload
    binaries as zipped files 30% smaller also means faster and your unused
    cap carries over.
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  16. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2011 21:55:20 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >>am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >>Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >>

    >I agree with the comment about Vodafone not responding. I posted some
    >two weeks after the server stopped peeringand eventually rang VF, to
    >be told that the server was faulty and will be shut down. I attempted
    >to respond to the original announcement on the VF forums, only to find
    >that the thread was locked. Started a new thread about the usenet
    >server and received a PM tellling me not to start new topics , but to
    >reply to existing threads???
    >
    >Strangely my new post has not appeared in the forums. :(
    >

    >I have been with VF since January 1996, when they were Ihug with the
    >Wood brothers running it. If they don't get their s**t together I
    >will takem my broadband, fixed line telephone, two family mobiles
    >elsewhere, and advise all my friends/family to change providers..
    >>So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >>reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >>
    >>If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >>will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >>
    >>Vaughan.
    >>

    >While not free, I have used Supernews for binary groups for the last 5
    >years or so. Excellent retention and completeness. No down time that
    >has affected my reading/posting.
    >
    >Since the upcoming demise of the Vodafone usenet server, I have added
    >nz.comp to my watched groups. Seems to be working well.
    >
    >Paul R
    >Cheers, Kiwi

    Easynews 10 times better out of the 3 that I tried over a number of
    years.

    Supernews/Zippo and Giganews.
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  17. Vaughan Dodd

    Possible Guest

    On Sun, 08 May 2011 22:45:17 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 8 May 2011 16:10:40 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <>
    >shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >>> I know that Orcon have one but have no idea what their completeness is like or
    >>> how many groups.
    >>> I subscribe to Giganews which is excellent but not cheap and is off shore.
    >>> Tony

    >>I noticed today that Acrix still lists its news server but I did not
    >>fancy the wholesale switch to a new provider, when all I want is
    >>usenet. I do have a number of friends who speak well of Orcon, and so
    >>long as the change over is easy and relatively inexpensive,. they
    >>could get my custom.
    >>
    >>I sem to recall that there were problems fo rme joing giganews and I
    >>wondered about customer support. Did like what was beingoffered
    >>though. Probably more than I need/use on a monthly basis.

    >I use individual.net for Usenet text (10 euros per year) and Astraweb
    >for binaries (USD25 for 180GB). Very pleased with both and I've been
    >using them since Xtra let us down and APN (now Easynews) became
    >unreliable. So I've used individual.net and Astraweb for over two
    >years without any problems.

    Easynews does full decoded Dnload and unused cap is carried over, one of
    the best out of 3 that I have tried.
    Possible, May 9, 2011
  18. Vaughan Dodd

    Msgr Scooter Guest

    On , , Mon, 09 May 2011 19:48:28 +1200, Re: New Zealand Usenet servers, Possible
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 May 2011 21:55:20 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >>>am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >>>Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >>>

    >>I agree with the comment about Vodafone not responding. I posted some
    >>two weeks after the server stopped peeringand eventually rang VF, to
    >>be told that the server was faulty and will be shut down. I attempted
    >>to respond to the original announcement on the VF forums, only to find
    >>that the thread was locked. Started a new thread about the usenet
    >>server and received a PM tellling me not to start new topics , but to
    >>reply to existing threads???
    >>
    >>Strangely my new post has not appeared in the forums. :(
    >>

    >>I have been with VF since January 1996, when they were Ihug with the
    >>Wood brothers running it. If they don't get their s**t together I
    >>will takem my broadband, fixed line telephone, two family mobiles
    >>elsewhere, and advise all my friends/family to change providers..
    >>>So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >>>reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >>>
    >>>If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >>>will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >>>
    >>>Vaughan.
    >>>

    >>While not free, I have used Supernews for binary groups for the last 5
    >>years or so. Excellent retention and completeness. No down time that
    >>has affected my reading/posting.
    >>
    >>Since the upcoming demise of the Vodafone usenet server, I have added
    >>nz.comp to my watched groups. Seems to be working well.
    >>
    >>Paul R
    >>Cheers, Kiwi

    >Easynews 10 times better out of the 3 that I tried over a number of
    >years.

    Will you shut up, Roger, about easynews.
    Even when you change you nym to escape kill files, it sticks out like dogs balls
    who you are.
    SHUT THE **** UP!!

    to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
    Anatole France.
    Msgr Scooter, May 9, 2011
  19. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2011 19:48:28 +1200, Possible <>
    shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >On Sun, 08 May 2011 21:55:20 +1200, Kiwi <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 8 May 2011 11:34:52 +1200, Vaughan Dodd <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>A recipient of Vodafone's usenet server retirement policy, so although I
    >>>am one of a small group flaming them on the Ihug newsgroup, no one at
    >>>Vodafone will pay any attention.
    >>>

    >>I agree with the comment about Vodafone not responding. I posted some
    >>two weeks after the server stopped peeringand eventually rang VF, to
    >>be told that the server was faulty and will be shut down. I attempted
    >>to respond to the original announcement on the VF forums, only to find
    >>that the thread was locked. Started a new thread about the usenet
    >>server and received a PM tellling me not to start new topics , but to
    >>reply to existing threads???
    >>
    >>Strangely my new post has not appeared in the forums. :(
    >>

    >>I have been with VF since January 1996, when they were Ihug with the
    >>Wood brothers running it. If they don't get their s**t together I
    >>will takem my broadband, fixed line telephone, two family mobiles
    >>elsewhere, and advise all my friends/family to change providers..
    >>>So: are there ISPs still in New Zealand who at least try to provide a
    >>>reliable and reasonably sized usenet service?
    >>>
    >>>If the rest of New Zealand has gone the way of Vodafone and Xtra, then it
    >>>will be time to shop around again. Do not like Google Groups.
    >>>
    >>>Vaughan.
    >>>

    >>While not free, I have used Supernews for binary groups for the last 5
    >>years or so. Excellent retention and completeness. No down time that
    >>has affected my reading/posting.
    >>
    >>Since the upcoming demise of the Vodafone usenet server, I have added
    >>nz.comp to my watched groups. Seems to be working well.
    >>
    >>Paul R
    >>Cheers, Kiwi

    >Easynews 10 times better out of the 3 that I tried over a number of
    >years.

    I have to disagree. Strongly.

    1. If Easynews is so great, why the **** do you use
    eternal-september.org - a free news server?

    2. I dumped APN a couple of years ago because they started using
    Easynews and it was slow and totally unreliable. It was cheap, but
    like eternal-september and aioe, you get what you pay for.

    3. Since dumping APN/Easynews I've had no problems with individual.net
    (text) and Astraweb (binaries). Both are relatively inexpensive, and
    VERY reliable. I have no hesitation in recommending both.

    4. If the poster who recommended Easynews is really Woger (aka
    numerous other nyms) then I've got to wonder why he keeps changing his
    nym. Is it to avoid killfiles?

    >Supernews/Zippo and Giganews.

    Giganews gives you huge amounts of spam and sporge. If they still
    offer a free trial try it out for yourself.
    Donchano, May 9, 2011
  20. Vaughan Dodd

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 09 May 2011 19:39:41 +1200, Possible <>

    Donchano, May 9, 2011