New Zealand to get the DMCA?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Nik Coughlin, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Nik Coughlin

    Earl Grey Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
    > Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
    > in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
    > purpose.
    >
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html

    $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
    They'll make a fortune.

    Earl Grey, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:
    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > > New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
    > > Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
    > > DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
    > > do so for a lawful purpose.
    > >
    > > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html
    > >

    > $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
    > They'll make a fortune.

    Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
    hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
    hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
    cheapies that are region-free.

    Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Nik Coughlin

    Earl Grey Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
    >>> Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
    >>> DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
    >>> do so for a lawful purpose.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html
    >>>

    >> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
    >> They'll make a fortune.

    > Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
    > hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
    > hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
    > cheapies that are region-free.
    >
    > Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?

    Not to mention outlawing the shift key

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10/09/sunncomm_to_sue_shift_key/

    Earl Grey, Dec 6, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Earl Grey Guest

    Nik Coughlin wrote:
    > New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
    > Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
    > in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
    > purpose.
    >
    > http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html

    So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
    defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
    so!
    Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!

    It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

    Earl Grey, Dec 6, 2006
  6. Nik Coughlin

    Earl Grey Guest

    Mathew Good wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 10:44:53 +1300, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
    >>> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the EUCD
    >>> in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
    >>> purpose.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html
    >>>

    >> So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
    >> defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
    >> so!
    >> Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!
    >>
    >> It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

    > No its the US government, regarding Free Trade that NZ is trying to get, Plus the total ban on all
    > Gray Imports.

    Actually if you read the link to the bill in the article it does mention
    parallel imports, affirming the governments position that it will
    protect the competition in parallel importing and that parallel imports
    are legit.
    However that is inconsistent with criminalizing circumvention of region
    coding which is a type of technological protection mechanism.
    Region coding puts us at an anti competitive disadvantage when buying
    cds online, and restricts our choices. Those are the unintended
    consequences of trying to protect the cinema industry from the impact of
    DVDs, the majority of which are never released in the cinema.

    Its badly drafted as far as DRM schemes go though, you can't have it
    both ways, legitimize fair use and criminalize the circumvention of
    mechanisms that restrict fair use.

    Earl Grey, Dec 6, 2006
  7. Nik Coughlin

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Dec 6, 2006
  8. Nik Coughlin

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 11:33:00 +1300, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    >Mathew Good wrote:

    >>> So you will be allowed to make a copy of any cd you own, but you can't
    >>> defeat any copy protection / rootkit installation scheme on the cd to do
    >>> so!
    >>> Judith Tizard is really looking after our rights folks. NOT !!!!
    >>>
    >>> It looks like Sony dictated the bloody lot !

    >> No its the US government, regarding Free Trade that NZ is trying to get, Plus the total ban on all
    >> Gray Imports.
    >>

    >Actually if you read the link to the bill in the article it does mention
    >parallel imports, affirming the governments position that it will
    >protect the competition in parallel importing and that parallel imports
    >are legit.
    >However that is inconsistent with criminalizing circumvention of region
    >coding which is a type of technological protection mechanism.
    >Region coding puts us at an anti competitive disadvantage when buying
    >cds online, and restricts our choices. Those are the unintended
    >consequences of trying to protect the cinema industry from the impact of
    >DVDs, the majority of which are never released in the cinema.
    >
    >Its badly drafted as far as DRM schemes go though, you can't have it
    >both ways, legitimize fair use and criminalize the circumvention of
    >mechanisms that restrict fair use.

    It does seem to be poor on a quick read. How can you have this both ways?

    The focus of section 226 will continue to be on the link between circumvention
    and copyright infringement, and on the making, sale, and hire of devices or
    information rather than on actual circumvention. While actual circumvention may
    not be prohibited, any unauthorised use of the material that is facilitated by
    circumvention will continue to be an infringement of copyright. Consumers
    should, however, be able to make use of materials under the permitted acts or
    view or execute a non-infringing copy of a work. This is consistent with New
    Zealand's position on parallel importation of legitimate goods, for example,
    genuine DVDs, from other jurisdictions. New provisions are introduced to enable
    actual exercise of permitted acts where TPMs have been applied.

    Craig Shore, Dec 7, 2006
  9. Nik Coughlin

    thingy Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Earl Grey wrote:
    >> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New
    >>> Zealand's Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US
    >>> DMCA and the EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you
    >>> do so for a lawful purpose.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html
    >>>

    >> $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
    >> They'll make a fortune.

    > Especially as every Pioneer DVD player that's been through Monaco Corp's
    > hands (Agent) has been set to region-free for the NZ market. There nust be
    > hundreds of thousands of people in NZ who own them. Not to mention all those
    > cheapies that are region-free.
    >
    > Perhaps a revenue gathering exercise?

    So is every DSE dvd player, the DSE sales people told me, that no one
    will buy a region locked DVD player...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Dec 7, 2006
  10. Nik Coughlin

    steve Guest

    Earl Grey wrote:

    > Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >> New Zealand MP Judith Tizard has sponsored an amendment to New Zealand's
    >> Copyright Act. The new copyright proposal mirrors the US DMCA and the
    >> EUCD in that it criminalizes removing DRM, even if you do so for a lawful
    >> purpose.
    >>
    >> http://www.boingboing.net/2006/12/06/new_zealand_to_get_t.html
    >>

    > $150,000 fine for having a region free DVD player
    > They'll make a fortune.

    That level of penalty is very revealing.

    You can poison a river and get a slap on the wrist, but if you tamper with a
    multi-national's IP, they'll REALLY throw the bok at you.

    --
    Only boring people are bored.

    steve, Dec 9, 2006