New Yorkers fined for listening to MP3 players?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mathew Good, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    Mathew Good, Feb 8, 2007

  2. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > It can only happen in the USA..
    >
    > http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    But they should ban the arseholes from using their phones while driving and
    also all GPS navigation systems until they can program them with the right
    hand rule!

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 9, 2007

  3. Mathew Good

    Zipper Guest

    Sharkwtfc wrote:
    > "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> It can only happen in the USA..
    >>
    >> http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    > But they should ban the arseholes from using their phones while driving and
    > also all GPS navigation systems until they can program them with the right
    > hand rule!

    The right hand rule should be removed, it is a stupid rule and we must
    be the only country that has it and it seems a lot of NZ'ers don't even
    grasp the idea of giving way to the right, especially when they are on a
    "main road" and think that gives them right of way if they are turning
    right into a smaller road and a car is turning right out of the smaller
    road.

    Defintely ban cellphone usage while driving though, it's amazing how
    common that is now and amazing how bad some people are at driving while
    talking on their phones.

    Zipper, Feb 9, 2007
  4. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "Zipper" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Sharkwtfc wrote:
    >> "Mathew Good" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> It can only happen in the USA..
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    >> But they should ban the arseholes from using their phones while driving
    >> and also all GPS navigation systems until they can program them with the
    >> right hand rule!
    >>

    > The right hand rule should be removed, it is a stupid rule and we must be
    > the only country that has it and it seems a lot of NZ'ers don't even grasp
    > the idea of giving way to the right, especially when they are on a "main
    > road" and think that gives them right of way if they are turning right
    > into a smaller road and a car is turning right out of the smaller road.

    Yep, all possibly fair comment but at the moment it is the law. Abolish it
    or enforce it. And ensure that the GPS makers know what it is also!

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 9, 2007
  5. Mathew Good

    Rupert Guest

    How can a GPS systems route finding be to blame for the right hand rule? It
    has no idea whether there are cars there or not, it just tells you to make
    the turn. Fair enough it should know if the road is one way or not, but no
    more than that.

    Rupert, Feb 9, 2007
  6. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    > How can a GPS systems route finding be to blame for the right hand rule?
    > It has no idea whether there are cars there or not, it just tells you to
    > make the turn. Fair enough it should know if the road is one way or not,
    > but no more than that.

    The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    of way.

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 9, 2007
  7. Mathew Good

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <45cbe097$>,
    "Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:

    >The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >of way.

    I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.

    First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This is
    the same for all countries, as far as I know.

    Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.

    In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Feb 9, 2007
  8. Mathew Good <> wrote:

    > It can only happen in the USA..
    >
    > http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    LMFAO! How fucking dumb can you get? Let's just wrap the entire world in
    foam rubber and have done with it :-D

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Feb 9, 2007
  9. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "Don Hills" <> wrote in message
    > In article <45cbe097$>,
    > "Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >>of way.

    > I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    > consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >
    > First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    > and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    > you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This
    > is
    > the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >
    > Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    > position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    > hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >
    > In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    > One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    Yep.

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 9, 2007
  10. Mathew Good

    Mathew Good Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:40:02 +1200, (Don Hills) wrote:

    >In article <45cbe097$>,
    >"Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >>of way.

    >I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >
    >First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    >and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    >you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This is
    >the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >
    >Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    >position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    >hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >
    >In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    >One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    Yes a NZ Stupid Rule and cause many accidents..

    I am referring to the one turning left and you have to give way to the other car tuning also into
    your left lane..

    In most cases that I have seen the car behind you when you are turning left tries to over take you
    or pass around you thus breaking the Law..

    You can only do that if there are separate lanes..

    Mathew Good, Feb 9, 2007
  11. Mathew Good

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > Mathew Good <> wrote:
    >
    > > It can only happen in the USA..
    > >
    > > http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    > LMFAO! How fucking dumb can you get? Let's just wrap the entire world
    > in foam rubber and have done with it :-D

    Heh! I prefer to let Darwin's law of evolution take care of the dross. I
    mean, it's not good for the human race to have a guy dancing, effectively
    deaf, across a busy street, contributing to the gene pool.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Feb 9, 2007
  12. Mathew Good

    Don Stokes Guest

    Don Hills <> wrote:
    >I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.

    When I went to the UK on holiday a couple of years ago, I made a point of
    looking at the UK Highway Code to see if there were any funnies I should
    be aware of. One thing I looked for was the priority rule for
    intersections.

    There isn't one.

    Asking around got lots of answers about what to do on roundabouts (if
    you're on the roundabout you have priority, which I thought was just
    bloody obvious), with the inevitable pointing out that this rule is the
    other way around in Paris (watch the traffic from atop the Arc de
    Triomphe, it's, uh, entertaining), but nothing about left hand vs right
    hand priority.

    Apparently it just isn't considered a problem.

    Crossroads are dealt with simply by having priority signs on all of
    them, or at least being obvious about which is the "big" road and
    therefore gets priority.

    I guess that when turning into a side street, if both vehicles get to the
    intersection at the same time, the one turning left completes the turn
    before the one turning right, so there isn't a actually problem. If the
    one turning left arrives slightly later (so would be entering the side
    street at the same time), the one turning right would already be on the
    intersection, and the left turning vehicle waits until the intersection
    is clear. Or something like that.

    Reflecting on this, I think part of NZ's problem is that we don't actually
    have very high traffic density. If you're used to driving close to each
    other, and taking the tighter turning opportunities presented, the
    timing outlined above just works, even if you end up entering the side
    street bumper to bumper. In NZ, we seem to expect quite a lot more
    space, and we need a rule that says who gets that space.

    Another example I noticed when driving in Crete a year or so ago, where
    the main highway is (mostly) one lane in each direction and pretty much
    always occupied in the oncoming direction. Passing is done by pulling
    up close behind the slower vehicle, who pulls over, leaving (just!)
    enough room to pass without ever crossing the centre line. If the
    slower vehicle hasn't noticed, you flash your lights to remind them. I
    assume this is normal behaviour elsewhere in Europe.

    In NZ, that almost never happens -- slower drivers behave as if they are
    the only vehicle on the road, leaving a faster vehicle to wait for a
    long stretch of road unoccupied in the other direction (which can take a
    while if there's even a modest amount of oncoming traffic or the road is
    winding), a passing lane (if there is one), or risk a deadly head-on.

    -- don

    Don Stokes, Feb 10, 2007
  13. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    >> Mathew Good <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > It can only happen in the USA..
    >> >
    >> > http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?shownews=13738&catid=6

    >> LMFAO! How fucking dumb can you get? Let's just wrap the entire world
    >> in foam rubber and have done with it :-D

    > Heh! I prefer to let Darwin's law of evolution take care of the dross. I
    > mean, it's not good for the human race to have a guy dancing, effectively
    > deaf, across a busy street, contributing to the gene pool.

    Stevie Wonder would be fucked!

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 10, 2007
  14. Mathew Good

    El Chippy Guest

    On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:10:19 +1300, Mathew Good <mg wrote:

    > On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 22:40:02 +1200, (Don Hills) wrote:
    >
    >>In article <45cbe097$>,
    >>"Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >>>of way.

    >>I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >>consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >>
    >>First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    >>and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    >>you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This is
    >>the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >>
    >>Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    >>position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    >>hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >>
    >>In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    >>One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    > Yes a NZ Stupid Rule and cause many accidents..
    >
    > I am referring to the one turning left and you have to give way to the other car tuning also into
    > your left lane..
    >
    > In most cases that I have seen the car behind you when you are turning left tries to over take you
    > or pass around you thus breaking the Law..
    >
    > You can only do that if there are separate lanes..

    Or if you do not need to cross the centre line to do so.

    El Chippy, Feb 10, 2007
  15. Mathew Good

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-09, Zipper <> wrote:
    > grasp the idea of giving way to the right, especially when they are on a
    > "main road" and think that gives them right of way if they are turning
    > right into a smaller road and a car is turning right out of the smaller
    > road.

    "main" isn't magic but most of the time the side road
    has a give way or stop sign, and that makes a difference.

    > Defintely ban cellphone usage while driving though, it's amazing how
    > common that is now and amazing how bad some people are at driving while
    > talking on their phones.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  16. Mathew Good

    jasen Guest

    On 2007-02-09, Don Hills <> wrote:
    > In article <45cbe097$>,
    > "Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >>of way.

    > I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    > consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >
    > First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    > and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    > you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This is
    > the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >
    > Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    > position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    > hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >
    > In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    > One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    You could add a fourth rule, if there is other traffic that they must give way to
    but no other traffic in your way, then you can go because they can't.

    You should see the mess they have in australia, the rules rules change for
    T intersections etc...

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Feb 10, 2007
  17. Mathew Good

    Mutley Guest

    >On 2007-02-09, Don Hills <> wrote:
    >> In article <45cbe097$>,
    >> "Sharkwtfc" <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    >>>of way.

    >> I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >> consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >>
    >> First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give way
    >> and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one of
    >> you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This is
    >> the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >>
    >> Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at the
    >> position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their vehicle
    >> hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >>
    >> In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    >> One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    Finally someone with some common sense and how the rite hand rule
    applies. Come and teach that to the brain dead immigrant and kids
    of immigrant drivers in south Auckland.. That appears one area that
    out tax collectors are not interested in..

    Mutley, Feb 10, 2007
  18. Mathew Good

    Philip Guest

    Sharkwtfc wrote:
    > "Rupert" <> wrote in message
    >> How can a GPS systems route finding be to blame for the right hand rule?
    >> It has no idea whether there are cars there or not, it just tells you to
    >> make the turn. Fair enough it should know if the road is one way or not,
    >> but no more than that.

    > The guy I had the stand up with told me his GPS told him that he had right
    > of way.

    It didn't. It may have told him to turn right here. I bet it has no
    voice reponses programmed into it that say:
    Turn Right Here. You have the right of way.

    Your combative buddy is even more full of s than his GPS.

    Philip

    Philip, Feb 10, 2007
  19. Mathew Good

    Philip Guest

    Don Stokes wrote:
    > Don Hills <> wrote:
    >> I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >> consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.

    > When I went to the UK on holiday a couple of years ago, I made a point of
    > looking at the UK Highway Code to see if there were any funnies I should
    > be aware of. One thing I looked for was the priority rule for
    > intersections.
    >
    > There isn't one.
    >
    > Asking around got lots of answers about what to do on roundabouts (if
    > you're on the roundabout you have priority, which I thought was just
    > bloody obvious), with the inevitable pointing out that this rule is the
    > other way around in Paris (watch the traffic from atop the Arc de
    > Triomphe, it's, uh, entertaining), but nothing about left hand vs right
    > hand priority.
    >
    > Apparently it just isn't considered a problem.
    >
    > Crossroads are dealt with simply by having priority signs on all of
    > them, or at least being obvious about which is the "big" road and
    > therefore gets priority.
    >
    > I guess that when turning into a side street, if both vehicles get to the
    > intersection at the same time, the one turning left completes the turn
    > before the one turning right, so there isn't a actually problem. If the
    > one turning left arrives slightly later (so would be entering the side
    > street at the same time), the one turning right would already be on the
    > intersection, and the left turning vehicle waits until the intersection
    > is clear. Or something like that.
    >
    > Reflecting on this, I think part of NZ's problem is that we don't actually
    > have very high traffic density. If you're used to driving close to each
    > other, and taking the tighter turning opportunities presented, the
    > timing outlined above just works, even if you end up entering the side
    > street bumper to bumper. In NZ, we seem to expect quite a lot more
    > space, and we need a rule that says who gets that space.
    >
    > Another example I noticed when driving in Crete a year or so ago, where
    > the main highway is (mostly) one lane in each direction and pretty much
    > always occupied in the oncoming direction. Passing is done by pulling
    > up close behind the slower vehicle, who pulls over, leaving (just!)
    > enough room to pass without ever crossing the centre line. If the
    > slower vehicle hasn't noticed, you flash your lights to remind them. I
    > assume this is normal behaviour elsewhere in Europe.
    >
    > In NZ, that almost never happens -- slower drivers behave as if they are
    > the only vehicle on the road, leaving a faster vehicle to wait for a
    > long stretch of road unoccupied in the other direction (which can take a
    > while if there's even a modest amount of oncoming traffic or the road is
    > winding), a passing lane (if there is one), or risk a deadly head-on.
    >
    > -- don

    Tailgating and flashing will get you booked in most European countries.

    Philip

    Philip, Feb 10, 2007
  20. Mathew Good

    Sharkwtfc Guest

    "Mutley" <> wrote in message

    >>On 2007-02-09, Don Hills <> wrote:

    >>> I don't know why people have trouble with the rule - it's actually more
    >>> consistent and less confusing than that of many other countries.
    >>>
    >>> First, you establish priority - for example, if you're on a stop/give
    >>> way
    >>> and the other person isn't, you give way and vice versa. Or if only one
    >>> of
    >>> you is crossing the centre line, the one not crossing has priority. This
    >>> is
    >>> the same for all countries, as far as I know.
    >>>
    >>> Once you've established that you both have equal priority, you look at
    >>> the
    >>> position of the other vehicle. If you were to collide, would their
    >>> vehicle
    >>> hit your vehicle on your (driver's) side? If so, you give way.
    >>>
    >>> In short, if they can hit your (driver's) door, you give way to them.
    >>> One rule, no exceptions, unlike in some other countries.

    > Finally someone with some common sense and how the rite hand rule
    > applies. Come and teach that to the brain dead immigrant and kids
    > of immigrant drivers in south Auckland.. That appears one area that
    > out tax collectors are not interested in..

    Doesn't your white hood obscure your peripheral vision?

    --
    Sharkwtfc

    Sharkwtfc, Feb 11, 2007