New Xtra Jetstream Plans *yawn*

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carl Elphick, Sep 19, 2003.

  1. Carl Elphick

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Carl Elphick, Sep 19, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Carl Elphick

    Callum Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:19:19 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    wrote:

    >http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    >
    >Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    >
    >
    >---
    >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >Version: 6.0.519 / Virus Database: 317 - Release Date: 17/09/2003
    >

    i just wish they would lift up the 128k 5gig to atleast 15gig a month
    id be happy all i download are music videos and mp3s
     
    Callum, Sep 19, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:34:35 +1200, Callum <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:19:19 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    >>
    >>Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    >>
    >>
    >>---
    >>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    >>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >>Version: 6.0.519 / Virus Database: 317 - Release Date: 17/09/2003
    >>

    > i just wish they would lift up the 128k 5gig to atleast 15gig a month
    >id be happy all i download are music videos and mp3s


    Change ISPs then. IHUG offers 10GB and I think it's Orcon that offers
    15GB.

    I was using Xtra but have switched to IHUG because of this.

    --
    you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/
     
    Bruce Simpson, Sep 20, 2003
    #3
  4. Carl Elphick

    Callum Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 11:59:10 +1200, Bruce Simpson
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:34:35 +1200, Callum <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:19:19 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    >>>
    >>>Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>---
    >>>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    >>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >>>Version: 6.0.519 / Virus Database: 317 - Release Date: 17/09/2003
    >>>

    >> i just wish they would lift up the 128k 5gig to atleast 15gig a month
    >>id be happy all i download are music videos and mp3s

    >
    >Change ISPs then. IHUG offers 10GB and I think it's Orcon that offers
    >15GB.
    >
    >I was using Xtra but have switched to IHUG because of this.


    Yeah i did join orcon for like a month since i was online gamer i was
    getting terrible pings i dunno what its like now so i went back to
    xtra. i gotta sacrifice something
     
    Callum, Sep 20, 2003
    #4
  5. Carl Elphick

    Jay Guest

    Bruce Simpson wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:34:35 +1200, Callum <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:19:19 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    >>>
    >>>Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>---
    >>>Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    >>>Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    >>>Version: 6.0.519 / Virus Database: 317 - Release Date: 17/09/2003
    >>>

    >> i just wish they would lift up the 128k 5gig to atleast 15gig a month
    >>id be happy all i download are music videos and mp3s

    >
    > Change ISPs then. IHUG offers 10GB and I think it's Orcon that offers
    > 15GB.
    >
    > I was using Xtra but have switched to IHUG because of this.
    >
    > --
    > you can contact me via http://aardvark.co.nz/contact/


    At broadband speeds? Or the dribble that 128k gives you?
     
    Jay, Sep 20, 2003
    #5
  6. Carl Elphick

    v3 Guest

    v3, Sep 20, 2003
    #6
  7. Carl Elphick

    Gordon Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 13:37:20 +1000, Jay wrote:


    > At broadband speeds? Or the dribble that 128k gives you?


    Red herring. We are talking 128K in this thread.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
     
    Gordon, Sep 20, 2003
    #7
  8. Carl Elphick

    Callum Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:50:17 +1200, "v3" <> wrote:

    >
    >"Carl Elphick" <> wrote in message
    >news:eek:pKab.2480$...
    >> http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    >>
    >> Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    >>

    >do these prices drops effect existing jetstart users?
    >


    Dont think i think at full jetstream.
    I'll go 256k ill just use p2p new zealand and download mp3s and videos
    since nz traffic is free and nz p2p doesnt let internationals on
     
    Callum, Sep 20, 2003
    #8
  9. Carl Elphick

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 17:07:39 +1200, Gordon wrote:

    > Red herring. We are talking 128K in this thread.


    How does 128k equal "jetstream" speed?

    Lennier
     
    Lennier, Sep 20, 2003
    #9
  10. Carl Elphick

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 16:50:03 +1000, Jay wrote:

    >> How does 128k equal "jetstream" speed?

    >
    > All this Jetstart/Jetstream stuff is so weird. Everyone else calls it ADSL
    > - why is NZ so different? Or is this just monopoly-speak?


    Jetstart/stream are words of propaganda.

    ADSL, along with DSL are technical acronyms for two different types of
    broadband service - one being high-speed both ways and the other being
    high-speed one way only (the other being 56k modem speed).

    Lennier
     
    Lennier, Sep 20, 2003
    #10
  11. Carl Elphick

    Lennier Guest

    On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:53:29 +1000, Jay wrote:

    >> ADSL, along with DSL are technical acronyms for two different types of
    >> broadband service - one being high-speed both ways and the other being
    >> high-speed one way only (the other being 56k modem speed).

    >
    > Rubbish, my ADSL is 1.5Mbps/512kbps.
    > Where do you get your 56k from? Or is that what you get in NZ?


    I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.

    If it is faster than that here in NZ, I would expect and welcome
    correction.

    Of course I got the most important fact of symmetry vs Asymmetry correct -
    a point that you did not acknowledge.

    Lennier
     
    Lennier, Sep 20, 2003
    #11
  12. Carl Elphick

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Lennier" wrote
    > I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.


    For full speed ADSL here in NZ, the uplink is 512kb
    For the junior(rate limited) ADSL, the uplink is either 128k for the 128k
    down, and 256k up for the 256k down...
     
    T.N.O., Sep 20, 2003
    #12
  13. Carl Elphick

    Jay Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 23:53:29 +1000, Jay wrote:
    >
    >>> ADSL, along with DSL are technical acronyms for two different types of
    >>> broadband service - one being high-speed both ways and the other being
    >>> high-speed one way only (the other being 56k modem speed).

    >>
    >> Rubbish, my ADSL is 1.5Mbps/512kbps.
    >> Where do you get your 56k from? Or is that what you get in NZ?

    >
    > I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.


    It probably is in NZ. With a usable broadband costing $888 per month
    I wouldn't expect anything else.

    >
    > If it is faster than that here in NZ, I would expect and welcome
    > correction.


    You have already been corrected! But you can keep waiting for
    your expectations to be satiated for all I care.

    >
    > Of course I got the most important fact of symmetry vs Asymmetry correct -
    > a point that you did not acknowledge.


    I did acknowledge it - by not refuting it.
    I forgot, however, to congratulate you for pointing out the
    bleeding obvious.
     
    Jay, Sep 21, 2003
    #13
  14. Carl Elphick

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, starkey2002
    @xtra.co.nz says...
    > On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:19:19 +1200, "Carl Elphick" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=2926&page=index
    > >
    > >Pricing still won't convince me to change, its still a ripoff.
    > >
    > >
    > >---
    > >Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    > >Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    > >Version: 6.0.519 / Virus Database: 317 - Release Date: 17/09/2003
    > >

    > i just wish they would lift up the 128k 5gig to atleast 15gig a month
    > id be happy all i download are music videos and mp3s


    Are those legal MP3s or pirated?
     
    Mainlander, Sep 21, 2003
    #14
  15. Carl Elphick

    Lennier Guest

    On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 10:10:06 +1200, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "Lennier" wrote
    >> I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.

    >
    > For full speed ADSL here in NZ, the uplink is 512kb For the junior(rate
    > limited) ADSL, the uplink is either 128k for the 128k down, and 256k up
    > for the 256k down...


    Cool - thanks for the info.

    Lennier
     
    Lennier, Sep 21, 2003
    #15
  16. Carl Elphick

    Paul Welsh Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Lennier" wrote
    >> I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.

    >
    >For full speed ADSL here in NZ, the uplink is 512kb
    >For the junior(rate limited) ADSL, the uplink is either 128k for the 128k
    >down, and 256k up for the 256k down...
    >

    I have seen full speed jetstream with 896k up and 7.6 megs down
    My link speed
    DSL status: OK (upstream 800, downstream 6560 kbit/s)
    PPP status: OK (VCC1)
    Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    Uptime: 67 days, 12h 54m 48s

    Not that it does you much good as one tech said in the adsl mailing
    list
    Telecom's adsl is like a ferrari with a lawn mower fuel tank Goes
    realy fast but you can only go round the block

    The data caps are just a bad taste joke What telecom should be doing
    is uping the limit to say 5gig for the same price as the 500meg plan
    Thats how they will get more customers
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"
     
    Paul Welsh, Sep 21, 2003
    #16
  17. Carl Elphick

    Jay Guest

    Paul Welsh wrote:

    > "T.N.O." <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Lennier" wrote
    >>> I was of the impression that the uplink was 56k.

    >>
    >>For full speed ADSL here in NZ, the uplink is 512kb
    >>For the junior(rate limited) ADSL, the uplink is either 128k for the 128k
    >>down, and 256k up for the 256k down...
    >>

    > I have seen full speed jetstream with 896k up and 7.6 megs down
    > My link speed
    > DSL status: OK (upstream 800, downstream 6560 kbit/s)
    > PPP status: OK (VCC1)
    > Ethernet status: OK (10Base-T)
    > Uptime: 67 days, 12h 54m 48s


    And:
    Cost: ????
    Usage: ????
     
    Jay, Sep 21, 2003
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. vex

    Re: New Xtra Jetstream Plans *yawn*

    vex, Sep 21, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    367
    Zaphod
    Sep 23, 2003
  2. Dorado

    New Jetstream Plans..

    Dorado, Sep 4, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    509
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Sep 6, 2004
  3. John B

    New Jetstream plans Oct 24th

    John B, Sep 24, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    146
    Views:
    2,040
    Harry
    Oct 12, 2004
  4. Gordon

    new jetstream plans

    Gordon, Oct 24, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    753
  5. Sameer

    Q: video conferencing on jetstream plans

    Sameer, Nov 16, 2004, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    321
    C_Lyon
    Nov 17, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page