    watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
    CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

    Poor Lost Soul, Nov 29, 2004

  2. Poor Lost Soul

    derek / nul Guest

    On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (Poor Lost Soul) wrote:

    >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
    >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
    >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
    >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
    >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

    nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

    derek / nul, Nov 29, 2004

  3. Poor Lost Soul

    Thor Guest

    "Poor Lost Soul" <> wrote in message
    > So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
    > I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
    > watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
    > CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
    > NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

    A 240W PSU isn't nearly big enough for those kinds of components. I'd go
    with a 450W.

    Thor, Nov 29, 2004
  4. derek / nul <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (Poor Lost Soul) wrote:
    >
    > >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
    > >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
    > >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
    > >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
    > >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

    > nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

    Dammit, that's what I was afraid of... Does anyone know where I can
    get a larger PSU that'll fit into a XPC case?

    Poor Lost Soul, Nov 30, 2004
  5. Target.

    Hank Sniadoch, Nov 30, 2004
  6. Poor Lost Soul

    dan Guest

    I'd go with a 500. Look at newegg.com for power supplies or just buy a
    better case.

    dan, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Poor Lost Soul

    > derek / nul <> wrote in message
    >> On 29 Nov 2004 09:37:43 -0800, (Poor Lost Soul)
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >So, I'm building myself a new PC with one of the Shuttle cases, and
    >> >I'm wondering if the power supply will be hefty enough? It's a 240
    >> >watt PS, and I'm looking to drop an Athlon64 3000+, a Lite-On
    >> >CD-RW/DVD combo drive, 2 WD 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor's (SATA), an a XFX
    >> >NVIDIA GeForce 6800. So, again, will the PS hold, or am I sunk?

    >> nVidia suggest a minimum of 480 when building with a 6800

    > Dammit, that's what I was afraid of... Does anyone know where I can
    > get a larger PSU that'll fit into a XPC case?

    Would suggest checking this company out.
    http://www.quickmicro.com/products/dbitemdesc.asp?itemno=964&cc=bundles It's
    the only one I've seen that offers up to a 350W XPC power supply in their
    cases. XPC power supplies are proprietary to Shuttle AFAIK, so you don't
    find too many non-shuttle power supplies around in XPC form factor. The XPC
    power supply form factor is very close to the 1U rackmount supply design,
    but they differ in dimensions slightly, and I'm not sure a 1U would fit in
    an XPC case. They are very similar visually. You can check out a 400W 1U
    supply here and look at the dimensions to decide for yourself if you think
    it would fit.
    http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/highperformance/turbocools/index_hp_1u.htm

    Thor, Nov 30, 2004