    Desktop there

    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob, Nov 22, 2004

  2. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Hello:
    |
    | Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
    |
    | a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
    | everything on your drive.
    | What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?

    ---------------------------
    It's still there - they moved the shortcut. Click on Start, All Programs,
    Accessories.
    ---------------------------

    | b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
    | bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page
    ?

    ---------------------------
    The bar is called the "Taskbar". In Windows 98 and others, it automatically
    showed the "Quick Launch" toolbar. In XP, that has to be turned on manually.
    Right-click on a blank part of the taskbar, and click on Toolbars, then
    Quick Launch. Now you can drag icons into the Quick Launch area.
    ---------------------------

    | c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
    | Desktop there

    ---------------------------
    That "Show Desktop" icon should be there as soon as you enable the Quick
    Launch toolbar as indicated above.
    ---------------------------

    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    | Hello:
    |
    | Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
    |
    | a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
    | everything on your drive.
    | What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?
    |
    | b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
    | bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page
    ?

    | c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
    | Desktop there
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Bob

    Oh - I forgot to mention that you might want to avoid posting in Usenet with
    your real email address. Read the following information:

    Munging
    WHY: http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    HOW: http://members.aol.com/emailfaq/mungfaq.html
    MORE: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/net-abuse-faq/spam-faq/

    I'd suggest you simply add a ".invalid" to the end of your email address
    where it's listed in your account settings. In Outlook Express, click on
    Tools, Accounts, then the News Tab. Select your news server, then click on
    Properties. On the General tab, go to the Email address and add the .invalid
    at the end of the address. Simple. Done. Unless your news server demands a
    legitimate email address, and even then, there are ways around that.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 23, 2004
  4. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    22 Nov 2004 18:16:57 -0500, "Bob" <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
    >
    >a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
    >everything on your drive.
    > What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?

    Start/Programs/Accessories/Windows Explorer For your inconvience they
    decided to move it. However, they stuck the really *important* stuff
    like Games on the program bar.

    >b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in the
    >bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of the page ?

    You can still drag and drop them into the Quick Launch bar like 98.

    >c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly to the
    >Desktop there

    Drag and drop it or left click and choose Create a Shortcut.
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 23, 2004
  5. Bob

    Scraggy Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > Hello:
    >
    > Brand new with XP, and have two questions, please:
    >
    > a. In W98, there was "Explorer" which showed very nicely in tree form
    > everything on your drive.
    > What is equivalent to that in XP, and how do I find it ?
    >
    > b. How can I drag desktop icons and shortcuts so that they appear in
    > the bar (not sure of its correct name) that is at the very bottom of
    > the page ?
    >
    > c. Similar quest to (b); How can I also put an icon to go directly
    > to the Desktop there
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Right click on the Start button>explore
    --
    The right to bear arms is slightly less ludicrous than the right to
    arm bears. -- Chris Addison
    Scraggy, Nov 23, 2004
  6. Bob

    gb Guest

    Bob

    You've had answers re the desktop, but for Explorer, you can open My
    Computer as normal, and click the Folders icon on the toolbar for the same
    effect.

    gb

    gb, Nov 23, 2004