New XP user questions

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Denise, Dec 15, 2003.

  1. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Hi all,

    I've purchased a new computer and am having trouble getting used to the
    differences between 98 and XP. I've got a few questions I was hoping some
    of you might be able to help me with.

    My main issue with XP is it seems harder to customize my shortcuts and links
    than it was with 98. For instance, is there a way that I can put a shortcut
    to my IM services on the start menu *without* having to have a shortcut to
    them on the desktop? I mean, what's the need of having several different
    shortcuts to the same thing all over the place?

    Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
    with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it was
    gone.

    And lastly, I think, I'm having trouble with my home network. The other two
    computers in my house still run 98. I'm obviously having no trouble
    accessing the internet, but I can't access the other computers. Is there a
    way this can be done?

    Thanks very much,

    Denise

    Denise, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Denise

    Miggsee Guest

    Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".
    (You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic).
    By systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
    empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
    right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.

    About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they connected?
    You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need to share
    drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com .

    You'll get it!

    Miggsee, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Denise

    Harrison Guest

    The first thing you may want to do is to switch to the classic menu
    instead of the new XP view.
    Right click the Start button and choose Properties. Choose the
    "Classic Start Menu" Option, then click Customize.
    Review the "Advanced Start Menu Options" and make changes as desired.

    Now for the toolbars.
    The toolbars are locked by default. This is true on the Taskbar as
    well as in IE.
    To unlock the taskbar right click in a blank space and uncheck the
    "lock the taskbar" option.

    To add or remove toolbars, right click the taskbar and choose Toolbars
    at the top of the menu. Then check or uncheck the desired toolbars.
    Add, move, copy, icons as desired.

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003
  4. On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 17:46:35 -0600, "Denise"
    <> wrote:

    > .... snip ....
    >Next, is there a way to put a shortcut to the desktop on my systray like
    >with 98? I never realized how much I depended on that shortcut 'till it was
    >gone.
    > .... snip ....

    Restore Desktop Shortcut in Task Bar

    If you lose the Show Desktop shortcut from the taskbar's Quick Launch
    toolbar, you can restore it by going to the folder:-

    C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application
    Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch.

    In there create a new *text* file with the following contents:

    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop

    Save the file in the above folder with the name SHOWDESKTOP.SCF. This
    will restore the shortcut.

    It MUST be a plain text file - no formatting

    --
    Paulie

    pjpjpj A T aussiemail D O T com

    Pauline Johnson, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "Miggsee" wrote:

    >Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".

    (You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
    systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
    empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
    right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.

    Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly. :D

    >About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they

    connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need
    to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com .

    Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
    connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I went
    through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
    other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing. When
    I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is the
    only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98 machines,
    and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
    the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
    provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.

    >You'll get it!

    Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer onto
    this one. hehe

    And thanks again for all help!

    Denise

    Denise, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Denise

    Miggsee Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message

    > "Miggsee" wrote:
    >
    > >Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start

    Menu".
    > (You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
    > systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
    > empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
    > right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.
    >
    > Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly. :D

    You're more than welcome! :)

    > >About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they

    > connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you

    need
    > to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
    > http://www.practicallynetworked.com .
    >
    > Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
    > connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I

    went
    > through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
    > other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing.

    When
    > I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is

    the
    > only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98

    machines,
    > and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
    > the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
    > provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.
    >
    > >You'll get it!

    > Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer

    onto
    > this one. hehe
    >
    > And thanks again for all help!
    >
    > Denise

    Denise,
    By no way am I a network expert! I have managed to set up a 4 computer,
    wired network in my home. It was by trial and error, and time, and lots of
    satisfaction when I succeeded! :)) I drilled the holes, spread the wire, and
    researched to figure it out. It *was* fun, and a few days projects. I don't
    feel qualified to lead you into it. Sooo....... Others:

    Help out here! She's off to a good start! You all know more than me, so
    please offer assistance!!

    Miggsee, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Denise

    rifleman Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    |"Miggsee" wrote:

    |>Right click the IM icon in the Start Menu, and select "Pin to Start Menu".
    |(You can always elect to have the Start Menu display as Classic). By
    |systray, due you mean Quick Launch? (IE, desktop, etc?) Right click on an
    |empty part of the task bar, and make sure Lock taskbar isn't checked. Then
    |right click it again, and Select Toolbars, Quick Launch.
    |
    |Ok, I've got that fixed, thank you muchly. :D
    |
    |>About the home network, it's a little more involved. How are they
    |connected? You have to name the workgroup, and each computer. Then you need
    |to share drives, printers, etc. Use XP's Help and this link:
    |http://www.practicallynetworked.com .
    |
    |Duh, I forgot about giving info, sorry. I have a cable modem, which
    |connects to a 5-port hub, and then all the computers hook into that. I went
    |through some kind of wizard in XP that had me make a floppy to use on the
    |other computers, but as far as I can tell, it did absolutely nothing. When
    |I try to access the other computers through my new one, it says this is the
    |only one on the network. I had a network set up when I had all 98 machines,
    |and the 98 machines can still see each other; the problem seems to be with
    |the XP machine. Gah, I don't feel like that makes any sense, sorry. I'll
    |provide any info anyone needs to help me, just let me know.
    |
    |>You'll get it!
    |
    |Thanks, I hope so! I need some way to get the info off my old computer onto
    |this one. hehe
    |
    |And thanks again for all help!
    |
    |Denise

    You must ensure that there is an IDENTICAL user set up on each machine
    with an IDENTICAL username, IDENTICAL password and IDENTICAL user
    rights. (You don't have to log-in with this user, it just has to be
    there). Secondly you need to ensure that the folders you want other
    machines on the network to "see" have been shared. Right-click on the
    folder, select Properties and go to the "Sharing" tab.

    HTH

    rifleman, Dec 17, 2003