New xp Pro x64 installation notes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Geophyte1, Jan 27, 2010.

  1. Geophyte1

    Geophyte1 Guest

    Just wanted to share what I've seen recently on a new computer - new
    installation (first time user of xp pro x64). I purchased the computer
    parts and the operating system about two years ago and just got around to
    building it. I used a used Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard with a 3800+ AMD
    64 bit processor with 4 gig memory and two 500 gig hds set up as a raid 1.
    I have a thing for that motherboard even though one did go bad on me.

    1. It took awhile for me to find a 64 bit driver for the wireless card I
    had chosen two years ago and in the meantime I had purchased a Zonet 1603
    wireless card because it said it worked with xp pro x64. I had looked on
    the internet and also found there that it worked. When I put the Zonet
    install cd in the IDE cdrom drive and hit close on the drive, I got a blue
    screen and reboot. I was able to install the software and driver but after
    a few blue screens and reboots I decided to skip the CD and downloaded a
    driver for the Zonet card and use the Windows configuration tool.
    I found the 64 bit driver for the D-link card I had and switched the
    wireless cards and it works much better. Interestingly, as I was
    uninstalling the Zonet software it went blue again. I'm sure that card
    works but I must have a motherboard issue or something.

    2. When I first connected to the internet I installed AVG free. This
    seemed to work well but then I started to have inadvertent crashes again. I
    noticed that there was an informational mention of an AVG program that was
    not able to complete its task. It was the one that works with Outlook
    Express which I did not have installed. I uninstalled AVG and installed
    Avira and haven't had another crash. I have the "abnormal" informational
    application events down to two now with only one in the system list so I'm
    setting close.

    I have been pleasantly surprised that none of these blue screens have
    resulted in my not being able to access the computer although I did have to
    use Safe Mode one time to do an uninstall.

    I intend to ask in another post about those remaining events.

    It has been awhile since I posted to a newsgroup so any etiquette
    suggestions will be appreciated.

    Geophyte1
    Geophyte1, Jan 27, 2010