New XP Pro machine inaccessable in network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Warren B., Aug 5, 2005.

  1. Warren B.

    Warren B. Guest

    Hey all-
    I'm trying to help someone out with their network, and I really don't do
    this stuff on a regular basis. What they have is a wireless network using a
    Linksys router, and three Windows XP Pro machines. One PC is their "server"
    which has shared directories that they all need to access, the other two are
    the workstations that require the access. They replaced one of the PC's and
    now are trying to figure out how to get that back in the network. Here's
    what I did:

    The new PC was named, I was able to join their workgroup they have specified
    and I successfully found the network using the new PC. They are using an
    SSID, and using that ID, I was able to get to the network. On the PC they
    are using as the "server" and on the other PC workstation, I could see the
    new PC on the network in "My Network Places", but was unable to access it at
    all. Tried clicking on the icon, and received an error message "server not
    found". Tried right clicking for properties and received an error message
    "you don't have access rights...." or "proper permissions" - sorry, didn't
    write down the exact message : (

    I followed the basic steps and did somehow get this new PC on the network,
    but am not understanding why it is inaccessible. I took a look at the PC
    that does have access, and didn't see anything different from what I saw
    configuration wise on the new PC. I will note that the new PC had the
    Windows XP firewall active on the wireless network connection and that he
    has Norton Internet Security installed as well - should I have just
    completely shut all that stuff off? I know that the PC that does work on the
    network has the Windows Firewall enabled on that adapter for the wireless
    network, so I didn't think that was too much an issue, but now that I sit
    here writing this, I could see that Norton would be an issue.

    Warren B., Aug 5, 2005

  2. warren turn off the nortons firewall
    --
    I want a job self trained with goals and i excited to excited again in
    something this big.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWlja3Vz?=, Aug 10, 2005