new x64 installation periodically freezes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by palladia, May 18, 2006.

  1. palladia

    palladia Guest

    Just recently decided to "upgrade" to Windows Pro x64. My hardware
    includes:

    AMD 3500 CPU
    MSI nForce3 Neo Plat 2 Motherboard
    Gainward nVidia 6800GT video card
    Creative Audigy 2 Plat sound card

    I downloaded all the latest drivers from nVidia and Creative Labs.
    Problem is that 10-20 minutes after bootup, my system locks up. Well,
    not completely lock up. Some of my applications still seem to run, and
    my mouse still moves. I can even close some applications. But I can't
    access Windows menus, and my browser won't load new web pages. Any
    idea what's going on?

    --
    palladia
    palladia's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=2051

    palladia, May 18, 2006

  2. If you have the nVidia Firewall installed, remove it by installing and
    uninstalling it. If the problem still persist, you might need to get a BIOS
    update.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006

  3. palladia

    palladia Guest

    I'm running beta version of Zone Alarm Security Suite. Do you think
    that's the problem? I could try it without firewall and see problem
    goes away.

    As far as MB bios, I think I am running A08 from MSI. Tried to go to
    latest bios once, but it would not recognize my raid 0 disks, so had to
    roll back the bios.

    palladia, May 18, 2006
  4. palladia

    John Barnes Guest

    I, too, find x64 to be less stable and usefull than my x86 system since I
    have switched to using it as my primary system. My two specific problems,
    in addition to those I have previously posted, are 1. Similar to you, at
    some point (usually closer to 10 hours for me), new windows will stop
    launching, some windows will not react, even though they show as responding
    in Task Manager. In my case, all the activities that I have tried to
    launch, launch as the machine is shutting down after I give up and initiate
    a shutdown. Closing some tasks does not allow these tasks to launch. 2.
    the right click balloons come up empty, and only fill in when the cursor is
    scanned across a particular entry. It will then show up in the menu.

    John Barnes, May 18, 2006
  5. We have seen some issues with the beta of Zone Alarm, so yes, I would
    disable it to test if that's an issue. But the specific suggestion from
    Andre was to install and then UN-install the Nvidia firewall. The problem is
    that the [explitive deleted] thing is enabled by default if you've never
    installed it, and the install/uninstall cycle is required to remove the
    vestiges of it. These only affect 32-bit applications, but they can cause
    problems.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2006
  6. Some applications don't work well with Cool'n'Quiet.
    If it is enabled in the BIOS, try disabling it.

    Have you installed the AMD CPU driver from
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html ?

    What process, if any, is using the CPU when the system becomes difficult?

    Dominic Payer, May 18, 2006
  7. [explitive deleted] - LOL - love that one Charlie. :-D

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006
  8. Another good point Dominic.

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 18, 2006
  9. palladia

    palladia Guest

    I didn't install the one from AMD, but do have a CPU driver from nVidia,
    I believe. I assume they're the same.

    Didn't have task manager up at the time it got hung up, and couldn't
    bring one up either. I could leave the task manager up the next
    time...

    palladia, May 18, 2006
  10. The CPU driver is the same. See Carlos's thread for a newer driver just
    released.

    If you have BIOS 1.A you should flash to 1.B. 1.A disables USB2. See
    http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=59711.0 for a thread discussing MSI
    BIOSes.
    After flashing, clear CMOS, load optimised defaults and then adjust settings
    as required. CMOS data structure sometimes changes when BIOSes are updated
    and doing this as routine ensures that data is correct and any corruption
    is removed. Disable Cool'n'Quiet while troubleshooting.

    I don't trust the latest nForce3 drivers from the MSI site. They make my
    Neo2 Platinum unbootable. The only set I trust are the 6.25 beta from
    http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp .
    From these, do NOT install the IDE driver - there are reports of problems
    and it comes with a warning anyway. Install and then uninstall the firewall
    (Network Access Manager). As Andre and Charlie say, not doing this leaves
    the firewall in an uncertain state.

    If you still have problems, try a repair install of x64 - or a clean install
    if you have few applications installed.

    Dominic Payer, May 19, 2006
  11. palladia

    palladia Guest