    enough to make this a must-have. I guess I'll end up having to buy
    copies for each of my three grown-up children too -- that's if I want
    to keep mine....
    anthony, Oct 14, 2005

  2. On 13 Oct 2005 20:43:36 -0700, "anthony"
    <> wrote:

    >I've just seen a test pressing of the new edition of 'The Wizard of Oz'
    >which is coming out later this year.
    >
    >Throw out your old editions. The new transfer is sensational. Warners
    >has put the film (or at least the colour segment of it) through its
    >Ultra Resolution treatment, in which it takes each individual negative
    >from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, treats each frame
    >individually from the three negs, and then combines them digitally to
    >create a new and perfect Technicolor image. The image quality is
    >superb, and the color is subtly different than on the earlier DVD
    >transfers -- it's not quite so garish, but with far more tonal contrast
    >and depth.

    They use the same process as they had used for Gone With The Wind,
    which release is also superb.

    --
    Hen®i

    If the sun is shining after two days of rain
    it is probably Monday.

    CatFlog: http://www.fotolog.net/katsuchi/
    Henri Pannevis, Oct 14, 2005

  3. anthony

    NewcastleBoy Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:36:18 +0200, Henri Pannevis <>
    wrote:

    >They use the same process as they had used for Gone With The Wind,
    >which release is also superb.
    >
    >--
    >Hen®i

    Sounds like one to collect again, and to sell the old copy on Ebay for
    $$1000 :)

    - NewcastleBoy
    NewcastleBoy, Oct 14, 2005
  4. anthony

    anthony Guest

    > Sounds like one to collect again, and to sell the old copy on Ebay for
    > $$1000 :)
    >
    > - NewcastleBoy

    good thinking, NewcastleBoy -- I bought, years back, the huge Region
    One box set of Wiz which included a facsimile of the shooting-script.
    Should flog it, but maybe I can live with two editions.....
    I did, ages ago, sell my early Criterion edition of My Life as a Dog on
    Ebay and got about $300 for it. Then, a few months later, bought the
    new Criterion anamorphic version of the same movie for about $30. Did
    the same thing with The Tin Drum, and got the same price, before
    Criterion brought out their improved transfer ... those were the days.
    anthony, Oct 14, 2005
  5. anthony

    whataboutme Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I've just seen a test pressing of the new edition of 'The Wizard of Oz'
    >which is coming out later this year.
    >
    >Throw out your old editions. The new transfer is sensational. Warners
    >has put the film (or at least the colour segment of it) through its
    >Ultra Resolution treatment, in which it takes each individual negative
    >from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, treats each frame
    >individually from the three negs, and then combines them digitally to
    >create a new and perfect Technicolor image. The image quality is
    >superb, and the color is subtly different than on the earlier DVD
    >transfers -- it's not quite so garish, but with far more tonal contrast
    >and depth. I've only got a test pressing of the movie, and not of the
    >extras that will make up the final package, but what I've seen is
    >enough to make this a must-have. I guess I'll end up having to buy
    >copies for each of my three grown-up children too -- that's if I want
    >to keep mine....

    Personally I'm happy with the current transfer and can't really see a
    reason to upgrade just yet, especially considering there's probably a
    High Definition version planned for release in the next couple of
    years.

    These days I only upgrade DVD titles if a replacement 16:9 version
    comes along (thanks MGM for those shoddy 4:3 releases that were
    labeled 16:9) or if the original transfer wasn't particularly good and
    the movie is favourite.

    Cheers
    Joe
    whataboutme, Oct 14, 2005
  6. "whataboutme" <> wrote in message
    > These days I only upgrade DVD titles if a replacement 16:9 version
    > comes along (thanks MGM for those shoddy 4:3 releases that were
    > labeled 16:9) or if the original transfer wasn't particularly good and
    > the movie is favourite.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Joe

    Only films I can remember upgrading are "Richard III" (bought the watchable
    Magna-Pacific release, realised I was watching it so often I might as well
    upgrade to the far superior Criterion) and "The Fall of the House of Usher"
    (bought the Region 4, then later bought the Region1 double-feature (which
    actually cost less than the Region 4.))

    One of the advantages of all these atrocious stores that sell
    already-opened DVDs (and usually at terribly high prices,) is that the mere
    fact of their existence means I can easily give my old DVDs to people as
    Christmas presents, etc. (Main reason I haven't upgraded "Angel Heart" for
    the Region 1 version, is that I don't know anybody who I can offload my
    Region 4 to.)
    The Man With No Name, Oct 14, 2005
  7. anthony

    i'm good Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > I've just seen a test pressing of the new edition of 'The Wizard of Oz'
    > which is coming out later this year.
    >
    > Throw out your old editions. The new transfer is sensational. Warners
    > has put the film (or at least the colour segment of it) through its
    > Ultra Resolution treatment, in which it takes each individual negative
    > from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, treats each frame
    > individually from the three negs, and then combines them digitally to
    > create a new and perfect Technicolor image. The image quality is
    > superb, and the color is subtly different than on the earlier DVD
    > transfers -- it's not quite so garish, but with far more tonal contrast
    > and depth. I've only got a test pressing of the movie, and not of the
    > extras that will make up the final package, but what I've seen is
    > enough to make this a must-have. I guess I'll end up having to buy
    > copies for each of my three grown-up children too -- that's if I want
    > to keep mine....

    No changes in the length I hope, it's not the same without Dark Side of The
    Moon.
    A two-layer DVD is no good with the slight pause.

    i'm good, Oct 14, 2005
  8. "i'm good" <> wrote:

    >A two-layer DVD is no good with the slight pause.

    That is dependent on your player. I never get a layer-change pause with my
    CyberHome player.
    Kimba W. Lion, Oct 14, 2005
  9. anthony

    anthony Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > "i'm good" <> wrote:
    >
    > >A two-layer DVD is no good with the slight pause.

    > That is dependent on your player. I never get a layer-change pause with my
    > CyberHome player.

    It's dual-layer, but Dark Side of the Moon shouldn't suffer as I can't
    detect the layer-change. I checked disc content and the movie alone
    (plus audio/commentary tracks and subtitles) on Disc One takes up 5.6
    mb, before worrying about extras.
    anthony, Oct 15, 2005
  10. anthony

    i'm good Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message

    > Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > > "i'm good" <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >A two-layer DVD is no good with the slight pause.

    > > That is dependent on your player. I never get a layer-change pause with

    my
    > > CyberHome player.

    > It's dual-layer, but Dark Side of the Moon shouldn't suffer as I can't
    > detect the layer-change. I checked disc content and the movie alone
    > (plus audio/commentary tracks and subtitles) on Disc One takes up 5.6
    > mb, before worrying about extras.

    Well my bloody Sony does have a pause okay.

    i'm good, Oct 15, 2005
  11. anthony

    Curtin/Dobbs Guest

    "anthony" <> wrote in message
    > I've just seen a test pressing of the new edition of 'The Wizard of Oz'
    > which is coming out later this year.
    >
    > Throw out your old editions. The new transfer is sensational. Warners
    > has put the film (or at least the colour segment of it) through its
    > Ultra Resolution treatment, in which it takes each individual negative
    > from the three-strip Technicolor negatives, treats each frame
    > individually from the three negs, and then combines them digitally to
    > create a new and perfect Technicolor image. The image quality is
    > superb, and the color is subtly different than on the earlier DVD
    > transfers -- it's not quite so garish, but with far more tonal contrast
    > and depth. I've only got a test pressing of the movie, and not of the
    > extras that will make up the final package, but what I've seen is
    > enough to make this a must-have.

    > I guess I'll end up having to buy
    > copies for each of my three grown-up children too -- that's if I want
    > to keep mine....

    The DVD or the kids?

    :)

    Curtin/Dobbs, Oct 15, 2005