New wireless router, slow download

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Art, Nov 28, 2005.

  1. Art

    Art Guest

    Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:

    pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
    usenet.

    Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
    cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
    second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug PC
    straight to cable modem to get around the problem.

    Possible obstacles in data path are:

    - Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix anything.

    - ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it off has
    no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle, no data transfer
    either way, for long periods during downloads.).

    - Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.

    - Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part music and
    video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no effect. Even short
    text posts take a long time. Getting the list of new posts can take several
    minutes; bypassing the router, it takes maybe three seconds.

    This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express. (YProxy
    only used on Outlook Express.)

    Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless. (Never
    tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the same problem; it's
    not my machine. But it otherwise functions great, with 54m throughput.)

    Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.

    Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in advance for any
    guesses.

    Art, Nov 28, 2005

  2. Art

    Rosco Guest

    Art cried out

    > Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
    >
    > pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow
    > downloads from usenet.
    >
    > Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond
    > my cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic,
    > previously a 5 second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can
    > unplug router and plug PC straight to cable modem to get around
    > the problem.
    >
    > Possible obstacles in data path are:
    >
    > - Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix
    > anything.
    >
    > - ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it
    > off has no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle,
    > no data transfer either way, for long periods during downloads.).
    >
    > - Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.
    >
    > - Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part
    > music and video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no
    > effect. Even short text posts take a long time. Getting the list
    > of new posts can take several minutes; bypassing the router, it
    > takes maybe three seconds.
    >
    > This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express.
    > (YProxy only used on Outlook Express.)
    >
    > Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless.
    > (Never tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the
    > same problem; it's not my machine. But it otherwise functions
    > great, with 54m throughput.)
    >
    > Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in
    > advance for any guesses.

    had a similar problem the router would get slower and slower then
    finally would die completely, linksys could not explain it, turned
    out that simply turning off UPnP on the routers control panel fixed
    it. Try that turn it off, save your changes unplugg for five
    seconds, and see where that takes you

    Rosco, Nov 28, 2005

  3. Art

    Keme Guest

    Art wrote:
    > Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
    >
    > pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
    > usenet.
    >
    > Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
    > cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
    > second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug PC
    > straight to cable modem to get around the problem.
    >
    > Possible obstacles in data path are:
    >
    > - Microsoft spyware program running, but killing it doesn't fix anything.
    >
    > - ZoneAlarm running (has blocked data in the past, but shutting it off has
    > no effect on this problem. Also, ZA shows complete idle, no data transfer
    > either way, for long periods during downloads.).
    >
    > - Windows own internal protection; shutting it down has no effect.
    >
    > - Usenet filters in through YProxy, to decode Yenc multi part music and
    > video files. However, bypassing YProxy seems to have no effect. Even short
    > text posts take a long time. Getting the list of new posts can take several
    > minutes; bypassing the router, it takes maybe three seconds.
    >
    > This slowdown occurs with Agent, Free Agent, and Outlook Express. (YProxy
    > only used on Outlook Express.)
    >
    > Culprit has to be the router. I'm not even using the wireless. (Never
    > tried the wireless laptop on Usenet to see if it has the same problem; it's
    > not my machine. But it otherwise functions great, with 54m throughput.)
    >
    > Linksys has been no help, on line or telephone.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea what bit is set wrong where? Thanks in advance for any
    > guesses.

    Looks like you tried everything. I have occasional trouble on the server
    side, with my ISP not always paying very much attention to the NNTP
    service. You bypass the problem by going straight to the modem, so a
    slow server is probably not the cause in your case. Maybe a firmware
    upgrade is due?

    One far fetched possibility: Are both the modem and the wireless router
    running NAT? In that case some traffic could be disturbed (I've seen
    poor combinations of firmware programming and default configuration,
    that could possibly lead to symptoms like yours, though not very
    likely). If all else fails, try disabling router functionality (NAT,
    DHCP) on your wireless unit, and use a LAN port for the connection to
    the modem (not a port labeled "DMZ", "WAN" or "internet").

    Keme, Nov 29, 2005
  4. Art wrote:

    > Hooked up new Linksys wireless router, all works fine, EXCEPT:
    >
    > pc plugged into router Ethernet jack does phenominally slow downloads from
    > usenet.
    >
    > Everything else seems to work find, 54 megs wireless is way beyond my
    > cable's capacity. But downloading a 100k posted graphic, previously a 5
    > second job, now takes more like 5 minutes. I can unplug router and plug
    > PC straight to cable modem to get around the problem.
    >
    > Possible obstacles in data path are:

    One thing worth a try might be forwarding port 113 (identd) to your pc. But
    then, most probably ZA already had it blocked before (a simple reject is
    the correct way to handle).

    Walter Mautner, Nov 29, 2005