New WinXP user

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John Rampling, Jul 29, 2004.

  1. After five years using Windows 98 I have just upgraded to XP and find the
    Start Menu mystifying! Sometimes shortcuts seem to go missing from my
    programs list and I have just found out why.

    In the Documents and Settings directory I see three Users, called 'All
    Users', 'Default User' and 'John'. Each has a subdirectory called 'Start
    Menu'. When I click the 'Start' button I tend to get the 'John' files but I
    think it sometimes shows me 'All Users' instead.

    Furthermore, when I install a new program it adds a new shortcut to the
    Start Menu BUT I can not predict whether it will add it to 'All Users' or
    'John'. That is why my shortcuts sometimes go missing - they are on the
    wrong Start Menu! And if a shortcut appears under 'All Users' it does NOT
    appear under 'John', despite the title.

    (What's more, there is a folder on my Start Menu directory called
    'Application Data' which appears in Explorer but not on the Start Menu
    itself - that's OK because the folder has the 'hidden' attribute set, so I
    can figure that out.)

    Am I doing something wrong? Or is it just another Microsoft annoyance? And
    what can I change to bring my computer under my control?

    John
    John Rampling, Jul 29, 2004

  2. John Rampling

    dfrog Guest

    John,

    Don't have an answer for you, and someone may well come along and help but,
    there's also a very good newsgroup
    'microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers' which has lots of very helpful,
    'knowledgeable about xp' people.
    hope you get sorted

    dfrog

    dfrog, Jul 29, 2004

  3. John Rampling

    WebWalker Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:44:28 GMT, "John Rampling"
    <> wrote:

    >Furthermore, when I install a new program it adds a new shortcut to the
    >Start Menu BUT I can not predict whether it will add it to 'All Users' or
    >'John'. That is why my shortcuts sometimes go missing - they are on the
    >wrong Start Menu! And if a shortcut appears under 'All Users' it does NOT
    >appear under 'John', despite the title.

    It should be appear in "John's" StartMenu if the shortcuts were created
    in "All User's" StartMenu.
    Sometime you just to need to wait for while before the shortcut icon
    appear in the StartMenu OR maybe you need to reboot your PC.

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, Jul 30, 2004