    Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
    problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

    , Jul 16, 2006

  2. Doesn't the scan range refer to the monitor?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 16, 2006

  3. It's clearly a problem with the driver for your card/s. I would try the
    oldest, stupidest card you have, and boot into safe mode. from there, you
    should be able to load the drivers you'll need. If not, one workaround is
    actually to create an inline installation that loads the correct drivers.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 16, 2006
  4. Are you sure those drivers are 64bit?

    Remember, not everything that ships with various cards on a CD, are 64bit.

    I recommend you to search the producer's site and have a look around -
    alternatively ATI for reference drivers, or NGOHQ.COM for original drivers
    that are tweaked for quality or performance as you like, and make sure that
    they really are 64bit!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 16, 2006
  5. wrote:
    > I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
    > running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
    > install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
    > it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
    > by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
    > without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
    >
    > My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
    > boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
    >
    > I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
    > perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
    >
    > Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
    > problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.

    Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's WinXPx64-specific
    device drivers?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 16, 2006
  6. Colin Barnhorst wrote:
    > Doesn't the scan range refer to the monitor?

    That's a common error displayed on a monitor when the monitor isn't
    receiving a video signal it can handle.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 16, 2006
  7. John Boy Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
    >> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
    >> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
    >> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
    >> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
    >> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
    >>
    >> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
    >> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
    >>
    >> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
    >> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
    >>
    >> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
    >> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.
    >>

    > Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's
    > WinXPx64-specific device drivers?

    If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
    Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
    the most current drivers? I have never been
    able out how to do something like that if you
    can't boot up the system.

    John Boy, Jul 17, 2006
  8. Guest

    John Boy is correct, since I can't even get into the Windows GUI it
    makes it hard to install with the 64bit drivers (which Matrox provides
    for the Parhelia). I would like to hit F6 during the install to load
    those drivers before I start the installation, but Matrox doesn't make
    a driver package made to be loaded off a floppy.

    I agree that Windows x64 isn't loading a driver that works with my
    monitor. Whatever driver windows loads to display the isntallation
    process works fine, but the final driver just doesn't work at all it
    seems.

    Its hard for me to believe that the Dell 17inch Trinitron is to blame.
    And both AGP video cards I have, yielded the same problem.

    Is there a way to alter the windows video driver from the command line?

    John Boy wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > > wrote:
    > >> I have a MSI K8T Neo motherboard and an AMD 3400+ processor. I've been
    > >> running Windows XP 32bit fine for years now. I decided to perform a new
    > >> install of the x64 version and finally use the AMD processor for what
    > >> it was meant for. After getting past the trouble of detecting the SATA
    > >> by switching it to RAID drivers and setup, the installation went
    > >> without error. And that is when the prblem occured.
    > >>
    > >> My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of Scan Range" when I
    > >> boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
    > >>
    > >> I'm running a Matrox Parhelia 128mb AGP card, but I also tried to
    > >> perform the install with an ATI Radeon 8500, and it still won't work.
    > >>
    > >> Any ideas why this x64 version would cause such a brick wall of a
    > >> problem? I have the most recent BIOS for my motherboard.
    > >>

    > > Have you installed the video adapter's manufacturer's
    > > WinXPx64-specific device drivers?
    > >

    > If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
    > Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
    > the most current drivers? I have never been
    > able out how to do something like that if you
    > can't boot up the system.

    , Jul 17, 2006
  9. Well, then do you have a Motherboard with integrated Graphics Chip and a
    Graphics Card installed too? Is this the case, you will need to disable the
    on-board features inside the BIOS Setup - or perhaps a jumper setting on the
    board itself - not custom on modern boards.

    It should be enough to get a picture on your screen after re-booting. (If
    that is the, it)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 17, 2006
  10. Guest

    No, I opt'ed not to get a motherboard with onboard video since I knew
    I'd always have a video card. Unless I can modify the drivers used by
    windows through the command line or install setup, all I can think of
    doing is finding a butt old video card or another type of monitor.

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > Well, then do you have a Motherboard with integrated Graphics Chip and a
    > Graphics Card installed too? Is this the case, you will need to disable the
    > on-board features inside the BIOS Setup - or perhaps a jumper setting on the
    > board itself - not custom on modern boards.
    >
    > It should be enough to get a picture on your screen after re-booting. (If
    > that is the, it)
    >

    > Tony. . .
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > John Boy is correct, since I can't even get into the Windows GUI it
    > > makes it hard to install with the 64bit drivers (which Matrox provides
    > > for the Parhelia). I would like to hit F6 during the install to load
    > > those drivers before I start the installation, but Matrox doesn't make
    > > a driver package made to be loaded off a floppy.
    > >
    > > I agree that Windows x64 isn't loading a driver that works with my
    > > monitor. Whatever driver windows loads to display the isntallation
    > > process works fine, but the final driver just doesn't work at all it
    > > seems.
    > >
    > > Its hard for me to believe that the Dell 17inch Trinitron is to blame.
    > > And both AGP video cards I have, yielded the same problem.
    > >

    > > Is there a way to alter the windows video driver from the command line?
    > >

    > > John Boy wrote:

    > been

    > new

    > SATA

    > > > If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even
    > > > Safe Mode, then how do you propose he install
    > > > the most current drivers? I have never been
    > > > able out how to do something like that if you
    > > > can't boot up the system.

    , Jul 17, 2006
  11. I vaguely remember a problem early in x64 where a LCD monitor connected with
    a DVI cable instead of a standard analog cable created havoc with the
    installation of x64. I haven't had a problem because I can only use an
    analog cable because of KVM switches.

    Dennis Pack x64, v64B2 \(5384\), OPP2007B2, Jul 17, 2006
  12. I had that issue for several builds. It was a bug that occured if the user
    had a dual monitor configuration when starting Setup. If the primary
    monitor was on the DVI connector and the extended desktop monitor was on the
    VGA connector, Setup switched to the VGA connector after the second reboot.
    The result was that the blue Setup progress screen stayed frozen on the DVI
    monitor and the VGA monitor remained blank. One had to guess that Setup was
    finished and reboot.

    The workaround was to disconnect the DVI monitor until setup was finished
    and then reconnect it.

    There are still issues with that monitor arrangement.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 17, 2006
  13. One other thing that comes to mind is if you have the printed manual for the
    monitor - see if there is some way to re-set it to the factory settings.
    Most screens today being multi-frequency, something may have brought it out
    of range? Something in the Windows installation Hardware Probing, even?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 17, 2006
  14. Guest

    Well,

    My strategy this weekend is to try the installation again using the ATI
    Radeon 8500. I will first try the install using the RGB cable plugged
    into my Dell CRT. I expect to get the same problem. I'm then going to
    try to get a picture on my 42 inch 1920X1080 LCD television (its the
    onyl LCD I have in the house).

    My Parhelia card does give me a multi-desktop setup, and that is why
    I'm takign it otu as a factor by using the ATI card. This problem is
    just just mind blowing, I've never been locked out of Safe Mode before.

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > One other thing that comes to mind is if you have the printed manual for the
    > monitor - see if there is some way to re-set it to the factory settings.
    > Most screens today being multi-frequency, something may have brought it out
    > of range? Something in the Windows installation Hardware Probing, even?
    >
    > Tony. . .
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > > No, I opt'ed not to get a motherboard with onboard video since I knew
    > > I'd always have a video card. Unless I can modify the drivers used by
    > > windows through the command line or install setup, all I can think of
    > > doing is finding a butt old video card or another type of monitor.
    > >
    > > Tony Sperling wrote:
    > > > Well, then do you have a Motherboard with integrated Graphics Chip and a
    > > > Graphics Card installed too? Is this the case, you will need to disable

    > the
    > > > on-board features inside the BIOS Setup - or perhaps a jumper setting on

    > the
    > > > board itself - not custom on modern boards.
    > > >
    > > > It should be enough to get a picture on your screen after re-booting.

    > (If
    > > > that is the, it)
    > > >

    > > > Tony. . .
    > > >

    > > > <> wrote in message

    > line?

    > > > been

    > > > new

    > what
    > > > SATA

    > work.

    , Jul 18, 2006
  15. It's puzzling, yes. Talking of the cable - I suppose you mean the standard
    VGA D-shell connector? Are all the pins inside straight and unharmed?

    Though, I am not sure you can light up a TV without the OS - I may be wrong.

    Re-installing, might be a good thing at this point, if you still get a
    picture there can be nothing wrong with the Graphics/Display department. You
    mentioned RAID drivers, what you say? Can it be that the machine simply
    doesn't boot and your monitor complains about missing signal?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 18, 2006
  16. John Boy wrote:

    > If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even Safe Mode, then how do
    > you propose he install the most current drivers? I have never been able
    > out how to do something like that if you can't boot up the system.

    And just where did the OP even hint that the computer wasn't booting?

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jul 18, 2006
  17. John Boy Guest

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > John Boy wrote:
    >>

    >> If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even Safe Mode, then how
    >> do you propose he install the most current drivers? I have never been
    >> able out how to do something like that if you can't boot up the system.

    > And just where did the OP even hint that the computer wasn't booting?

    Quote:

    My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of
    Scan Range" when I
    boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.

    Unquote:

    I believe his statement that all he can see on
    the monitor is "Out of Scan Range" would
    indicate that's all he gets. Even if it
    booting, without any display, how would he know
    where he was at?

    John Boy, Jul 18, 2006
  18. Guest

    By accident I stumled on the cause of the "Out of Scan Range" message.
    I boot from a serial ATA hard drive. The hard drive can use "Serial
    ATA" or "Serial ATA RAID" drivers during an installation.

    >From what I've read the only way to install Windows x64 using my K8T

    Neo motherboard is to use the "Serial ATA RAID" drivers to detect the
    drive. I have confirmed that loading the "Promise SATA378" driver will
    not allow Windows x64 to detect the drive. Only the RAID driver will be
    picked up by Windows x64.

    Now, Window XP x86 will install fine with the "Serial ATA" driver, and
    that is what I used when I reinstalled the normal 32bit version of
    Windows after my failed x64 attempt.

    Just out of curiosity I switch the motherboards BIOS from SATA to RAID.
    The bootstrap detects and loads the drive fine. But when it gets to the
    Windows load screen I ge the famous "Out of Scan Range". This leads me
    to believe that for some reason Windows is choking on the RAID driver
    and I somehow need to get the SATA driver to work during install.

    John Boy wrote:
    > Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > > John Boy wrote:
    > >>

    > >> If he cannot boot to either Normal, VGA, or even Safe Mode, then how
    > >> do you propose he install the most current drivers? I have never been
    > >> able out how to do something like that if you can't boot up the system.

    > > And just where did the OP even hint that the computer wasn't booting?
    > >

    > Quote:
    >
    > My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of
    > Scan Range" when I
    > boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
    >
    > Unquote:
    >
    > I believe his statement that all he can see on
    > the monitor is "Out of Scan Range" would
    > indicate that's all he gets. Even if it
    > booting, without any display, how would he know
    > where he was at?

    , Jul 19, 2006
  19. Guest

    PROBLEM RESOLVED!

    I went to thet Promise website (www.promise.com) and downloaded the
    FastTrak S150 TX AMD64 Drivers For Windows [BETA] drivers. This is the
    controller drive I would need to have to allow the SATA controller
    function in x64.

    After using the F6 of the Windows install and using this driver all
    went well. I'm in the GUI and in the process of setting up the x64
    environment. I sure hope the Promise driver has a stable version so I
    can stop using the BETA.

    I have no idea why the VIA RAID driver did function correctly in the 32
    or 64 bit Windows environment. Maybe I didn't have the RAID drive
    defined properly. Yet, the install did complete without error, just no
    GUI.

    The solution was the 64bit promise driver for SATA.

    wrote:
    > By accident I stumled on the cause of the "Out of Scan Range" message.
    > I boot from a serial ATA hard drive. The hard drive can use "Serial
    > ATA" or "Serial ATA RAID" drivers during an installation.
    >
    > >From what I've read the only way to install Windows x64 using my K8T

    > Neo motherboard is to use the "Serial ATA RAID" drivers to detect the
    > drive. I have confirmed that loading the "Promise SATA378" driver will
    > not allow Windows x64 to detect the drive. Only the RAID driver will be
    > picked up by Windows x64.
    >
    > Now, Window XP x86 will install fine with the "Serial ATA" driver, and
    > that is what I used when I reinstalled the normal 32bit version of
    > Windows after my failed x64 attempt.
    >
    > Just out of curiosity I switch the motherboards BIOS from SATA to RAID.
    > The bootstrap detects and loads the drive fine. But when it gets to the
    > Windows load screen I ge the famous "Out of Scan Range". This leads me
    > to believe that for some reason Windows is choking on the RAID driver
    > and I somehow need to get the SATA driver to work during install.
    >

    > John Boy wrote:
    > > Bruce Chambers wrote:

    > > > And just where did the OP even hint that the computer wasn't booting?
    > > >

    > > Quote:
    > >
    > > My Dell 17inch CRT generates the message "Out of
    > > Scan Range" when I
    > > boot into Normal, VGA or even Safe Mode.
    > >
    > > Unquote:
    > >
    > > I believe his statement that all he can see on
    > > the monitor is "Out of Scan Range" would
    > > indicate that's all he gets. Even if it
    > > booting, without any display, how would he know
    > > where he was at?

    , Jul 19, 2006