new Wi-Fi- setup

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Curt Christianson, Jul 14, 2007.

  1. Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, experts, and wannabees as myself ..I
    learn a great deal from all,

    I've been using a D-link wireless router WBR-2310 with very good results.
    First time I've gone wireless and use it with a WUS-2340?? Usb NIC or
    (dongle). At any rate , it works well.

    Not be be content to leave well enough alone, If I were to re-nstall this
    wireless setup on a virgin install of XP home. What whould be the
    *preferred method on install wireless capability here. Use the CD wizard
    from the manufacturer, of WZC to to the work. I can't really tell which is
    better. and *after the install, **then** add the additional little apps. we
    all like to pupulate our machines with.Get WI-FI- working first, and then
    load down our machines with even the most judiciously selected sludge---or
    doesn't it really matter.

    PS, on a side note, I like all the windoes addon's just not the junk,
    malware, ad infinitum.

    Many thanks for all your haelp. I reall don't want the the fiasco I endured
    previously with installing this.

    On the original XP pro install, I used a combination of both--prolly a *big
    * mistake I don't want to duplicate.

    All of you ladies and gentlemen have given me a wealth of wireless info.,
    and I doubt I could have got this started with out you

    P.S. I've been running WPA2, and thank you for that also.

    --
    HTH,
    Curt

    Windows Support Center
    www.aumha.org
    Practically Nerded,...
    http://dundats.mvps.org/Index.htm

    Curt Christianson, Jul 14, 2007

  2. Hi
    I usually recommend to use WZC and leave out the manufacturer utility.
    However some times the Wireless card,'s Drivers are Not available by
    themself and you have to install first CD setup in order to get the drivers
    installed.
    If this is the case you can use the CD and later on disable the manufacturer
    utility by taking it out of the StratUp Folder.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 14, 2007

  3. Thanks much Jack!!

    Curt Christianson, Jul 15, 2007