    Are the older Thinkpads that much more durable and easier to repair to
    consider over a new lower end machine?

    TIA

    Edge, Jul 20, 2006

  2. Edge

    StinkyPlant Guest

    Edge wrote:
    > I am in the market for a lower end notebook computer to do business
    > office apps and some audio encoding. I've noticed that there are older
    > refurb IBM Thinkpad T30 ( Pentium 4M ) for about the same $ 600 price
    > you can find a new lower end notebook on sale (Toshiba Pentium M ).
    > Are the older Thinkpads that much more durable and easier to repair to
    > consider over a new lower end machine?
    >

    > TIA

    I bought a refurbished IBM Thinkpad a while back. It was awesome, but
    the battery wouldn't hold charge and there was a huge sticker on the
    front of the shell that the previous owner had put on there. But all in
    all it was a good laptop, but I wouldn't do it again. If I were going to
    spend 600+ on a laptop, I would spend 800 and get a decent new one.

    Stink

    StinkyPlant, Jul 20, 2006

  3. Edge

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    >I bought a refurbished IBM Thinkpad a while back. It was awesome, but
    >the battery wouldn't hold charge and there was a huge sticker on the
    >front of the shell that the previous owner had put on there. But all in
    >all it was a good laptop, but I wouldn't do it again. If I were going to
    >spend 600+ on a laptop, I would spend 800 and get a decent new one.

    I second that. Buy the best you can afford and take care of it. Even if
    the refurb one has been rebuilt and retested you still don't know the full
    story behind it. Speaking from experience, refurb and "open-box" is a
    problem waiting to happen. Refurbs often come with a VERY minimal warranty,
    after which stuff starts breaking.

    Ernie Werbel, Jul 23, 2006