  1. If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia, USA,
    Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per month.

    Stephen

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Sep 10, 2006

  2. > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia, USA,
    > Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per month.

    Oh yeah you get UK calls too :)

    ¬Stephen Hammond, Sep 10, 2006

  3. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    ¬Stephen Hammond pretended :
    > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia, USA,
    > Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per month.
    >
    > Stephen

    That seems very expensive compared with www.internetcalls.com, to name
    but one.

    For 10 Euros every 120 days, free calls to:

    Argentina
    Australia
    Austria
    Belgium
    Canada
    China
    Denmark
    France
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Italy
    Luxembourg
    Malaysia
    Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Poland
    Puerto Rico
    Russian Federation
    Singapore
    South Korea
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Taiwan
    United Kingdom
    United States (+mobile)

    Jono, Sep 10, 2006
  4. ¬Stephen Hammond

    DMac Guest

    > That seems very expensive compared with www.internetcalls.com, to name but
    > one.
    >
    > For 10 Euros every 120 days, free calls to:

    list of countries snipped

    "Call charges likely to change without notice"

    Sister companies voipcheap and voipbuster have lost free calls to many
    destinations in the last few weeks.
    Can only be a matter of time before internetcalls drop free UK calls

    DMac, Sep 10, 2006
  5. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Graham Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in message
    > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia, USA,
    > Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per month.
    >
    > Stephen

    Do they give you an ATA for that price?
    I already have the hardware

    With voipcheap.com for 8.09GBP I get 90 days of free calls (subject to 300
    min/week) to all these destinations

    Andorra free*
    Argentina free*
    Australia free*
    Austria free*
    Belgium free*
    Canada free*
    Chile free*
    China free*
    Czech Republic free*
    Denmark free*
    Finland free*
    France free*
    Germany free*
    Hong Kong (+mobile) free*
    Hungary free*
    Iceland free*
    Ireland free*
    Italy free*
    Japan free*
    Liechtenstein free*
    Luxembourg free*
    Malaysia free*
    Monaco free*
    Netherlands free*
    New Zealand free*
    Norway free*
    Poland free*
    Portugal free*
    Russian Federation free*
    Singapore (+mobile) free*
    South Korea free*
    Spain free*
    Sweden free*
    Switzerland free*
    United Kingdom free*
    United States (+mobile) free*

    No contest IMHO.
    --

    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham, Sep 10, 2006
  6. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Jono Guest

    DMac submitted this idea :

    >> That seems very expensive compared with www.internetcalls.com, to name but
    >> one.
    >>
    >> For 10 Euros every 120 days, free calls to:
    >>

    > list of countries snipped
    >
    > "Call charges likely to change without notice"
    >
    > Sister companies voipcheap and voipbuster have lost free calls to many
    > destinations in the last few weeks.
    > Can only be a matter of time before internetcalls drop free UK calls

    I haven't looked at voipbuster, however, the free calls list still
    includes UK @ voipcheap.com

    Even if the rates do change, @ £7.99, I'd have to go some to use up
    that amount ringing destinations that cost 1ct per minute.

    £7.99 seems excessive.

    As I'm out most of the day, even voip.co.uk's £2 per month for
    unlimited E&WE calls is better value than Vonage's offer

    Jono, Sep 10, 2006
  7. {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 10, 2006
  8. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    message news:ee0pjr$jqs$1$
    > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to
    > Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland
    > all for £7.99 per month.

    All my received calls are free..! As are most of those I dial for that
    matter.

    As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month" that just doesn't make
    sense. I suppose it must be some new definition of the word "free" of
    which I was previously unaware.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2006
  9. Thus spaketh ¬Stephen Hammond:
    > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia,
    > USA, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per month.
    >
    > Stephen

    How can that be free??

    £7.99 per month is £7.99 more than free.

    What you are getting is inclusive calls for £7.99, so you are paying
    £7.99 for calls to those destinations, that's not free.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 10, 2006
  10. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:50:13 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month" that just doesn't make
    >sense. I suppose it must be some new definition of the word "free" of
    >which I was previously unaware.

    how many more times before you get it into your thick head the 7.99 is
    just like the £ 11.00plus people are paying to BT plus calls and yes
    the calls ARE free to all 01 and o2 numbers and their equivalents in
    the whole of Ireland . The only 01 and 02 numbers you can dial from
    your beloved useless Sipgate account are to other Sipgate users .
    NOW ONCE AGAIN CALLS FROM A VOAGE ACCOUNT TO ALL
    01 and 02 NUMBERS ARE TOALLY FREE.
    By the way have you yet come to the conclusion that you ARE a European
    if not what are you an Australian or an American or something .

    , Sep 10, 2006
  11. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 16:50:13 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > > As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month"
    > > that just doesn't make sense. I suppose it must be some
    > > new definition of the word "free" of which I was
    > > previously unaware.

    > how many more times before you get it into your thick
    > head the 7.99 is just like the £ 11.00plus people are
    > paying to BT

    No it's not. The BT charge is a line rental. The Vonage charge is payable
    in addition to the line rental, as you still need BT or cable to get it.

    > plus calls and yes the calls ARE free to all
    > 01 and o2 numbers and their equivalents in the whole of
    > Ireland . The only 01 and 02 numbers you can dial from
    > your beloved useless Sipgate account are to other Sipgate
    > users .

    As I've told you, most of my calls are to other Sipgate users. The few
    calls I make to chargeable numbers are so few as to make little
    difference. As I said, 25p a month or so usually.

    > NOW ONCE AGAIN CALLS FROM A VOAGE ACCOUNT TO ALL
    > 01 and 02 NUMBERS ARE TOALLY FREE.

    Don't shout. They're not free if you have to pay a charge, any charge, to
    get them.

    > By the way have you yet come to the conclusion that you
    > ARE a European if not what are you an Australian or an
    > American or something .

    No.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2006
  12. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-10, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    > message news:ee0pjr$jqs$1$
    >> If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls to Australia,
    >> USA, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and Ireland all for £7.99 per
    >> month.

    > All my received calls are free..! As are most of those I dial for that
    > matter.

    But can you shimmy like my sister Kate?

    > As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month" that just doesn't make
    > sense.

    Indeed it does.

    > I suppose it must be some new definition of the word "free" of
    > which I was previously unaware.

    No, not new. It's in common use.

    Brian.

    Brian, Sep 10, 2006
  13. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-09-10, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    > >
    > > "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    > > message news:ee0pjr$jqs$1$
    > > > If you phone 0800 804 8988 you can receive free calls
    > > > to Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and
    > > > Ireland all for £7.99 per month.

    > > All my received calls are free..! As are most of those
    > > I dial for that matter.

    > But can you shimmy like my sister Kate?

    No idea, I've never seen her. How is it relevant..?

    > > As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month"
    > > that just doesn't make sense.

    > Indeed it does.

    How so..? Free to me means without charge. £7.99 or any other amount above
    £0.00 for that matter is a charge which has to be paid in order to receive
    the service. Hence it is not free.

    > > I suppose it must be some new definition of the
    > > word "free" of which I was previously unaware.

    > No, not new. It's in common use.

    See above. Free means free not £x per month.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 10, 2006
  14. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-10, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-09-10, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> > "¬Stephen Hammond" <> wrote in
    >> > message news:ee0pjr$jqs$1$
    >> >
    >> > All my received calls are free..! As are most of those I dial for
    >> > that matter.

    >> But can you shimmy like my sister Kate?

    > No idea, I've never seen her. How is it relevant..?

    It has as much relevance as your contrived response to the OP.

    >> > As for the statement "Free calls for £7.99 a month" that just
    >> > doesn't make sense.

    >> Indeed it does.

    > How so..? Free to me means without charge.

    I believe the Vonage offer is available only by phoning the 0800 number
    given. Those taking it up will not be charged for calls to the listed
    countries. It seems existing customers will be charged; there is nothing
    on the website saying otherwise. So, free calls for some people.

    > £7.99 or any other amount above
    > £0.00 for that matter is a charge which has to be paid in order to receive
    > the service. Hence it is not free.

    The 7.99 GBP gives access to Vonage's services, one of which is the
    ability to make calls to the PSTN. It is not exactly an unknown business
    model in the voip world. Betamax and voip.co.uk use it, for example. The
    calls are free at the point of use.

    It seems to me you are looking for zero cost as well as zero charge to
    have calls qualify as free. I expect we will continue to differ on this
    but I think that is an unreasonable use of 'free' in this context.

    Brian.

    Brian, Sep 11, 2006
  15. ¬Stephen Hammond

    andy Guest

    Brian wrote:
    > >> Indeed it does.

    > > How so..? Free to me means without charge.

    > I believe the Vonage offer is available only by phoning the 0800 number
    > given. Those taking it up will not be charged for calls to the listed
    > countries. It seems existing customers will be charged; there is nothing
    > on the website saying otherwise. So, free calls for some people.
    >
    > > £7.99 or any other amount above
    > > £0.00 for that matter is a charge which has to be paid in order to receive
    > > the service. Hence it is not free.

    > The 7.99 GBP gives access to Vonage's services, one of which is the
    > ability to make calls to the PSTN. It is not exactly an unknown business
    > model in the voip world. Betamax and voip.co.uk use it, for example. The
    > calls are free at the point of use.
    >
    > It seems to me you are looking for zero cost as well as zero charge to
    > have calls qualify as free. I expect we will continue to differ on this
    > but I think that is an unreasonable use of 'free' in this context.

    After all this, I reckon I might go for 3 months free calls for £1.50,
    from Babble

    andy, Sep 11, 2006
  16. Thus spaketh Brian:
    > On 2006-09-10, Ivor Jones <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Brian" <> wrote in message

    >>> But can you shimmy like my sister Kate?

    >> No idea, I've never seen her. How is it relevant..?

    > It has as much relevance as your contrived response to the OP.

    >>> Indeed it does.

    >> How so..? Free to me means without charge.

    > I believe the Vonage offer is available only by phoning the 0800
    > number given. Those taking it up will not be charged for calls to the
    > listed countries. It seems existing customers will be charged; there
    > is nothing on the website saying otherwise. So, free calls for some
    > people.
    >
    >> £7.99 or any other amount
    >> above £0.00 for that matter is a charge which has to be paid in
    >> order to receive the service. Hence it is not free.

    > The 7.99 GBP gives access to Vonage's services, one of which is the
    > ability to make calls to the PSTN. It is not exactly an unknown
    > business model in the voip world. Betamax and voip.co.uk use it, for
    > example. The calls are free at the point of use.
    >
    > It seems to me you are looking for zero cost as well as zero charge to
    > have calls qualify as free. I expect we will continue to differ on
    > this but I think that is an unreasonable use of 'free' in this
    > context.
    >
    > Brian.

    Vonage aren't offering free calls though, they are offering inclusive
    calls, you have to pay £7.99 per month to be able to call those
    destinations, if you didn't pay £7.99 then you don't get service, so it
    can't be called free.

    VoIPStunt etc could probably get away with it a little, as although if
    you don't pay you can't call out, if you do pay that credit can still be
    used up on chargeable destinations, and not just swallowed up to cover
    the 'free' destinations. Though it depends I suppose if you do use your
    credit up on chargeable calls.

    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Sep 11, 2006
  17. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Paul Cupis Guest

    [OT] Re: new Vonage offer

    Ivor Jones wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    >> how many more times before you get it into your thick
    >> head the 7.99 is just like the £ 11.00plus people are
    >> paying to BT

    > No it's not. The BT charge is a line rental.

    The BT charge is line rental plus their BT Together Option 1 discount
    package - BT don't seem to offer "just" line rental to retail customers
    any more.

    Paul Cupis, Sep 11, 2006
  18. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Brian" <> wrote in message

    > The 7.99 GBP gives access to Vonage's services,

    Exactly. You have to pay it in order to get their services, including
    these so-called "free" calls.

    > one of
    > which is the ability to make calls to the PSTN. It is not
    > exactly an unknown business model in the voip world.

    I never said it was. What it *isn't* is free.

    > Betamax and voip.co.uk use it, for example. The calls are
    > free at the point of use.

    Not if there is any cost involved.

    > It seems to me you are looking for zero cost as well as
    > zero charge to have calls qualify as free.

    What's the difference between zero cost and zero charge..?

    > I expect we
    > will continue to differ on this but I think that is an
    > unreasonable use of 'free' in this context.

    Free means free. No charge. The word has no other meaning. It's like these
    "buy one get one free" offers in the supermarket; there's nothing free
    about them, you have to buy something in order to get the so-called "free"
    item. It is in effect half price, as you get two items instead of one, but
    "free" they aren't, you have to pay for both of them, even if it's a
    reduced price.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Sep 11, 2006
  19. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Brian Guest

    On 2006-09-11, Ivor Jones <> wrote:

    > "Brian" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The 7.99 GBP gives access to Vonage's services,

    > Exactly. You have to pay it in order to get their services, including
    > these so-called "free" calls.
    >
    >> one of which is the ability to make calls to the PSTN. It is not
    >> exactly an unknown business model in the voip world.

    > I never said it was. What it *isn't* is free.
    >
    >> Betamax and voip.co.uk use it, for example. The calls are free at the
    >> point of use.

    > Not if there is any cost involved.

    Originally you stipulated that free to you means without charge. Now, in
    addition, you want it to mean without cost. If that is the meaning you
    want 'free' to have here then offhand I cannot think of anything which
    is free of charge and free of cost. Breathing, perhaps.

    >> It seems to me you are looking for zero cost as well as zero charge
    >> to have calls qualify as free.

    > What's the difference between zero cost and zero charge..?

    There is zero charge for you to use the NHS. It would be unwise to say
    it comes at zero cost to you.

    A Vonage customer claiming 'All my calls to Germany have zero charge'
    could be believed. Asserting 'All my calls to Germany have zero cost' is
    dubious.

    >> I expect we will continue to differ on this but I think that is an
    >> unreasonable use of 'free' in this context.

    > Free means free. No charge. The word has no other meaning.

    You've given it two meanings. Which is fine by me. I just need to be
    clear on which one you are using.

    Brian.

    Brian, Sep 11, 2006
  20. ¬Stephen Hammond

    Guest

    On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:35:24 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Not if there is any cost involved.

    Ok Ivor you say calls to other sipgate users are free but that
    statement doesn't hold water really does it how would someone living
    in London signing up with Sipgate tonight KNOW if the guy who lives
    next door to me or anyone else is on sipgate or not ?????. This
    question just dosen't apply to Sipgate most voip providers say the
    same thing.

    , Sep 11, 2006