New VNC capabilities, should be cool, I'm looking forward to this...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I figure some here will be interested in this.

    http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net/


    "The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its ability
    to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop. Users
    typically have some applications which should remain private, such as
    email, and some applications they would like to share. Normal VNC is
    only able to share a user's entire desktop and thus does not lend itself
    well to a combination of shared and private data."

    So, for example, you could share out just a couple of windows, and you
    can even rearrange these on the client, differently to how they are
    presented on the server. Could just share out a media player, for example.

    No Windows client or server yet, but planned.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > I figure some here will be interested in this.
    >
    > http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net/
    >
    >
    > "The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its ability
    > to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop. Users
    > typically have some applications which should remain private, such as
    > email, and some applications they would like to share. Normal VNC is
    > only able to share a user's entire desktop and thus does not lend itself
    > well to a combination of shared and private data."
    >
    > So, for example, you could share out just a couple of windows, and you
    > can even rearrange these on the client, differently to how they are
    > presented on the server. Could just share out a media player, for example.
    >
    > No Windows client or server yet, but planned.


    IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years ago.

    I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.

    You could share any one - or several - apps over the Internet/AN...or your
    whole desktop.
     
    steve, Jan 10, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. -=rjh=-

    XPD Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years ago.
    >
    > I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    > 1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.
    >
    > You could share any one - or several - apps over the Internet/AN...or your
    > whole desktop.
    >
    >
    >


    Pretty sure Microsoft Netmeeting does something similar as well.... VNC are
    going backwards ;)
     
    XPD, Jan 10, 2006
    #3
  4. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Re: New VNC capabilities, should be cool, I'm looking forward tothis...

    XPD wrote:
    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years ago.
    >>
    >>I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    >>1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.
    >>
    >>You could share any one - or several - apps over the Internet/AN...or your
    >>whole desktop.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >
    >
    > Pretty sure Microsoft Netmeeting does something similar as well.... VNC are
    > going backwards ;)
    >
    >


    I'm not familiar with Net Meeting, and I'm sure it is a fantastic
    product, but I don't think its cross platform. I'm just guessing here.
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2006
    #4
  5. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Re: New VNC capabilities, should be cool, I'm looking forward tothis...

    steve wrote:
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >
    >>I figure some here will be interested in this.
    >>
    >>http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>
    >>
    >>"The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its ability
    >>to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop. Users
    >>typically have some applications which should remain private, such as
    >>email, and some applications they would like to share. Normal VNC is
    >>only able to share a user's entire desktop and thus does not lend itself
    >>well to a combination of shared and private data."
    >>
    >>So, for example, you could share out just a couple of windows, and you
    >>can even rearrange these on the client, differently to how they are
    >>presented on the server. Could just share out a media player, for example.
    >>
    >>No Windows client or server yet, but planned.

    >
    >
    > IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years ago.


    Which was great - if you could find anyone else running OS/2 :)

    >
    > I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    > 1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.
    >
    > You could share any one - or several - apps over the Internet/AN...or your
    > whole desktop.


    I really liked OS/2, and was a huge fan of the WPS, even used the
    Workplace Shell for Windows on my Windows systems. Some of the ways you
    could extend the functionality of the WPS were quite powerful - thinking
    of scheduling in particular.

    IIRC OS/2 could also do neat things like share serial ports over the
    network, which Windows can't do itself. And it really was a better DOS
    than DOS.

    I pretty much avoided Win95 entirely, and missed most of Win98, too.
    And to some extent, that was due to your work promoting OS/2, Steve (and
    Don, too).
     
    -=rjh=-, Jan 10, 2006
    #5
  6. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > I'm not familiar with Net Meeting, and I'm sure it is a fantastic
    > product, but I don't think its cross platform. I'm just guessing here.


    It's not....

    At least the OS/2 software P2P - LONG before filesharing 'p2p' - also had a
    Windows version....though you had to pay for that one.

    You could also fo a one-to- many display sharing.......so one person could
    run a presentation on one system and share it with up to 8 other
    simultaneously. View-only in that case. :)
     
    steve, Jan 11, 2006
    #6
  7. -=rjh=-

    ~misfit~ Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> I figure some here will be interested in this.
    >>>
    >>> http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its
    >>> ability to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop.
    >>> Users typically have some applications which should remain private,
    >>> such as email, and some applications they would like to share.
    >>> Normal VNC is only able to share a user's entire desktop and thus does
    >>> not lend
    >>> itself well to a combination of shared and private data."
    >>>
    >>> So, for example, you could share out just a couple of windows, and
    >>> you can even rearrange these on the client, differently to how they
    >>> are presented on the server. Could just share out a media player,
    >>> for example. No Windows client or server yet, but planned.

    >>
    >>
    >> IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years
    >> ago.

    >
    > Which was great - if you could find anyone else running OS/2 :)
    >
    >>
    >> I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    >> 1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.
    >>
    >> You could share any one - or several - apps over the
    >> Internet/AN...or your whole desktop.

    >
    > I really liked OS/2, and was a huge fan of the WPS, even used the
    > Workplace Shell for Windows on my Windows systems. Some of the ways
    > you could extend the functionality of the WPS were quite powerful -
    > thinking of scheduling in particular.
    >
    > IIRC OS/2 could also do neat things like share serial ports over the
    > network, which Windows can't do itself. And it really was a better DOS
    > than DOS.
    >
    > I pretty much avoided Win95 entirely, and missed most of Win98, too.
    > And to some extent, that was due to your work promoting OS/2, Steve
    > (and Don, too).


    I saw an ATM re-boot the other day and was surprised to see that it was
    running OS/2.
    --
    ~misfit~
     
    ~misfit~, Jan 12, 2006
    #7
  8. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> -=rjh=- wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>I figure some here will be interested in this.
    >>>
    >>>http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net/
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>"The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its ability
    >>>to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop. Users
    >>>typically have some applications which should remain private, such as
    >>>email, and some applications they would like to share. Normal VNC is
    >>>only able to share a user's entire desktop and thus does not lend itself
    >>>well to a combination of shared and private data."
    >>>
    >>>So, for example, you could share out just a couple of windows, and you
    >>>can even rearrange these on the client, differently to how they are
    >>>presented on the server. Could just share out a media player, for
    >>>example.
    >>>
    >>>No Windows client or server yet, but planned.

    >>
    >>
    >> IBM's OS/2 included "Person 2 Person" and it did this over 10 years ago.

    >
    > Which was great - if you could find anyone else running OS/2 :)


    In 1993/4 that wasn't a problem. Win95 wasn't even out yet....and OS/2 did
    get a lot of interest from people tired of Win 3.x.

    >> I was hosting Person 2 Person sessions on a 14.4k modem on the Net in
    >> 1994.....about the same time the WWW was invented.
    >>
    >> You could share any one - or several - apps over the Internet/AN...or
    >> your whole desktop.

    >
    > I really liked OS/2, and was a huge fan of the WPS, even used the
    > Workplace Shell for Windows on my Windows systems. Some of the ways you
    > could extend the functionality of the WPS were quite powerful - thinking
    > of scheduling in particular.


    Yes....and still not matched in many ways by any other system.

    > IIRC OS/2 could also do neat things like share serial ports over the
    > network, which Windows can't do itself. And it really was a better DOS
    > than DOS.
    >
    > I pretty much avoided Win95 entirely, and missed most of Win98, too.
    > And to some extent, that was due to your work promoting OS/2, Steve (and
    > Don, too).


    :)

    Ta.....I was just trying to create and maintain a non-windows space for
    people (like me) who wanted one.

    Linux came along just in time as IBM got tired of pouring billions into OS/2
    but being shut out of the market by Microsoft's anti-competitive practices.

    Not at IBM was never anti-competitive in its day.... :)
     
    steve, Jan 12, 2006
    #8
  9. -=rjh=-

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > I saw an ATM re-boot the other day and was surprised to see that it was
    > running OS/2.
    > ~misfit~


    Yes.....they did and many still do. Very stable and reliable at a time when
    nothing from Microsoft was either.
     
    steve, Jan 12, 2006
    #9
  10. -=rjh=-

    Dave Taylor Guest

    -=rjh=- <> wrote in news:43c37f29$:

    > "The main advantage of SharedAppVnc over traditional VNC is its ability
    > to share individual windows rather than the entire desktop.


    I am pretty sure UltraVNC has had this for at least 6 months to a yr now,
    but have not tried the feature...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
     
    Dave Taylor, Jan 12, 2006
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Phil
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    490
    done automatically
    Jan 6, 2006
  2. Chris Crochet

    Looking for digital camera with these capabilities

    Chris Crochet, Dec 4, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    322
    Stephen Leslie
    Dec 6, 2003
  3. Collector»NZ

    Cool computer, no I really mean cool

    Collector»NZ, Apr 16, 2005, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    985
    Lawrence D’Oliveiro
    Apr 24, 2005
  4. VanguardLH

    Re: How fast should CPU cool down?

    VanguardLH, Oct 4, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    651
    VanguardLH
    Oct 4, 2009
  5. §ñühwø£f

    Re: How fast should CPU cool down?

    §ñühwø£f, Oct 4, 2009, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    825
    §ñühwø£f
    Oct 5, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page