New Vista 64 Drivers from Nvidia

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Kue2, Feb 14, 2007.

  1. Kue2

    Kue2 Guest

    Kue2, Feb 14, 2007

  2. And, the Driver also works very well with Windows Server Code Name Long Horn
    Build 6001 X64 Edition (which I previously Downloaded from MSDN Subscriber
    Download's), Just FYI.

    Kevin John Panzke, Feb 14, 2007

  3. Kue2

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:00:47 -0500, "Kue2" <>
    spake thusly:

    >The new beta drivers are the best I've had in this vista beta 5744.
    >
    >http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.64.html
    >
    >My graphics are very very crisp. Nice Job U guys at Nvidia.

    What I'm trying to figure out is, what's wrong with the NVIDIA drivers
    provided via Microsoft update?

    Everything looks fine here.

    If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

    Or am I missing something?

    Scott, Feb 14, 2007
  4. Kue2

    Scott Guest

    On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:26:35 -0600, "Kevin John Panzke"
    <> spake thusly:

    >And, the Driver also works very well with Windows Server Code Name Long Horn
    >Build 6001 X64 Edition (which I previously Downloaded from MSDN Subscriber
    >Download's), Just FYI.

    Who gives a rat's ass.

    Scott, Feb 14, 2007
  5. The Updateables are certainly not Beta, for one thing!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 14, 2007
  6. Kue2

    Scott Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 03:03:49 +0100, "Tony Sperling"
    <> spake thusly:

    >"Scott" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:00:47 -0500, "Kue2" <>
    >> spake thusly:
    >>
    >> >The new beta drivers are the best I've had in this vista beta 5744.
    >> >
    >> >http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.64.html
    >> >
    >> >My graphics are very very crisp. Nice Job U guys at Nvidia.

    >> What I'm trying to figure out is, what's wrong with the NVIDIA drivers
    >> provided via Microsoft update?
    >>
    >> Everything looks fine here.
    >>
    >> If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    >>
    >> Or am I missing something?

    >The Updateables are certainly not Beta, for one thing!
    >

    >Tony. . .

    So like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

    I just wish NVIDIA would add the virtual desktop feature to Forcware
    like they have in the XP version.

    Scott, Feb 14, 2007
  7. "Scott" wrote:

    > What I'm trying to figure out is, what's wrong with the NVIDIA drivers
    > provided via Microsoft update?
    >
    > Everything looks fine here.
    >
    > If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    >
    > Or am I missing something?

    Yes, you are missing something. The point is that the best place to get the
    most current driver is from NVidia's website (or ATI's for their v-cards).
    The drivers Microsoft uses are basic generic ones that allow your v-card to
    work - they do NOT offer optimal v-card performance.

    Too, it is important to have the most current drivers for hardware because
    many small problems get fixed - things you, as an average computer user,
    might not even know are problems! A better driver for your NIC card, as
    example, might actually improve the speed of your Internet connection, or you
    computer responsiveness in general.

    After I downloaded and installed the latest NVidia drivers for my GeForce
    7800GTX v-card I could see textures not displayed before and make adjustments
    to color and gamma settings not offered before.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=, Feb 14, 2007
  8. Kue2

    Jane C Guest

    I think you will find that the drivers on Microsoft Update actually come
    from the manufacturers of the devices concerned. There is no such beast as
    a 'generic' driver, especially when it comes to graphics. Of course, that
    does not necessarily mean that the absolute latest and greatest drivers will
    come from Microsoft Update. ;-) Check on the properties of the MU
    supplied drivers. I have had ATI drivers from MU, and they have ATI stamped
    all over them. Microsoft may well 'sign' them, but they don't write them.

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 14, 2007
  9. "Jane C" wrote:

    > I think you will find that the drivers on Microsoft Update actually come
    > from the manufacturers of the devices concerned. There is no such beast as
    > a 'generic' driver, especially when it comes to graphics. Of course, that
    > does not necessarily mean that the absolute latest and greatest drivers will
    > come from Microsoft Update. ;-) Check on the properties of the MU
    > supplied drivers. I have had ATI drivers from MU, and they have ATI stamped
    > all over them. Microsoft may well 'sign' them, but they don't write them.
    >
    > --
    > Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane,

    I wasn't suggesting that Microsoft wrote them. Of course, the NVidia
    drivers come from NVidia but they cover a wide range of NVidia v-cards, just
    as the ATI drivers supplied to Microsoft would work with almost all ATI
    v-cards.

    My point was that the drivers provided to Microsoft are not the best for a
    users specific v-card. Some users are unaware of this.

    If you own a $200-$500 v-card, I think you will want the best performance
    out of it that you can get. Especially if you are into gaming at all.
    Specific graphic drivers provide much more functionality than the "generic"
    ones offered to Microsoft by each v-card vendor. Don't take my for it - just
    install the most current specific one's for you v-card! :)

    =?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=, Feb 14, 2007
  10. Kue2

    Scott Guest

    On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:31:07 -0800, Ed Stoddard
    <> spake thusly:

    >"Scott" wrote:
    >

    >> What I'm trying to figure out is, what's wrong with the NVIDIA drivers
    >> provided via Microsoft update?
    >>
    >> Everything looks fine here.
    >>
    >> If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    >>
    >> Or am I missing something?

    >Yes, you are missing something. The point is that the best place to get the
    >most current driver is from NVidia's website (or ATI's for their v-cards).
    >The drivers Microsoft uses are basic generic ones that allow your v-card to
    >work - they do NOT offer optimal v-card performance.

    Not true. This is an honest to god NVIDIA produced WDDM driver. I'm
    having no video problems and my 3-D is looking good.

    Driver info screenshot ---> http://tinyurl.com/39ptv7

    >Too, it is important to have the most current drivers for hardware because
    >many small problems get fixed - things you, as an average computer user,
    >might not even know are problems!

    On the other hand, updating drivers for the sake of updating drivers
    isn't a good idea either.

    >After I downloaded and installed the latest NVidia drivers for my GeForce
    >7800GTX v-card I could see textures not displayed before and make adjustments
    >to color and gamma settings not offered before.

    I never touched that stuff in Forceware in XP. I figured I'd just
    mess up what was already just fine.

    --
    Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com

    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    Scott, Feb 16, 2007
  11. "Scott" wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:31:07 -0800, Ed Stoddard
    > <> spake thusly:
    >

    > >"Scott" wrote:
    > >

    > >> What I'm trying to figure out is, what's wrong with the NVIDIA drivers
    > >> provided via Microsoft update?
    > >>
    > >> Everything looks fine here.
    > >>
    > >> If it ain't broke, don't fix it?
    > >>
    > >> Or am I missing something?

    > >Yes, you are missing something. The point is that the best place to get the
    > >most current driver is from NVidia's website (or ATI's for their v-cards).
    > >The drivers Microsoft uses are basic generic ones that allow your v-card to
    > >work - they do NOT offer optimal v-card performance.

    > Not true. This is an honest to god NVIDIA produced WDDM driver. I'm
    > having no video problems and my 3-D is looking good.
    >
    > Driver info screenshot ---> http://tinyurl.com/39ptv7
    >

    > >Too, it is important to have the most current drivers for hardware because
    > >many small problems get fixed - things you, as an average computer user,
    > >might not even know are problems!

    > On the other hand, updating drivers for the sake of updating drivers
    > isn't a good idea either.
    >

    > >After I downloaded and installed the latest NVidia drivers for my GeForce
    > >7800GTX v-card I could see textures not displayed before and make adjustments
    > >to color and gamma settings not offered before.

    > I never touched that stuff in Forceware in XP. I figured I'd just
    > mess up what was already just fine.
    >
    > --
    > Scott http://angrykeyboarder.com
    >
    > A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    > Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

    You like to play it safe at all costs, it seems. And that’s okay – lots a
    folks do that.

    I'm more willing to try the newest drivers as I’ve found my system usually
    performs better.

    The NVidia drivers I’m using are the latest and I immediately noticed a
    different in objects with textures. My login screen shows a ‘mustang’ on
    black background (taken from a photo of the grill of a Ford Mustang) with the
    supplied Microsoft generic NVidia drivers. After installing these new NVidia
    Vista drivers specific to my v-card, I not only saw the black background but
    the grill as well – this wasn’t displayed before!

    Now for a lot of folks will never miss what they don’t see. And they may
    share your “don’t fix if it isn’t broken†attitude. I want more than that!
    I not only want things fixed I want the best that my hardware can provide – I
    want performance!!
    :)

    =?Utf-8?B?RWQgU3RvZGRhcmQ=?=, Feb 17, 2007
  12. Kue2

    Dshai Guest

    I have to agree with Ed, if there's a new anything that makes mine better,
    beit video, sound, or just something more discreet, I'll try it, just
    because it works doesn't mean it can't work better.

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 18, 2007