New versions of firebird and thunderbird out

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by samg, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. samg

    samg Guest

    samg, Oct 15, 2003

  2. samg

    T.N.O. Guest

    T.N.O., Oct 15, 2003

  3. samg

    T.N.O. Guest

    "T.N.O." wrote
    > > http://www.mozilla.org/

    > nice, it's a heap faster at opening.

    Heaps heaps faster, they must have done a lot of optimisation work, doesnt
    seem to be any new features, well, that stand out anyway.

    T.N.O., Oct 15, 2003
  4. samg

    Gib Bogle Guest

    samg wrote:

    > http://www.mozilla.org/

    Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    your mail program?

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Oct 16, 2003
  5. samg

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:38:55 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > samg wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.mozilla.org/

    > Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    > your mail program?
    >
    > Gib

    Whatever you like - Mozilla.org have Thunderbird (as per subject line).
    Pegasus (Windows only) and Sylpheed are both very good.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Oct 16, 2003
  6. samg

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:15:26 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "T.N.O." wrote
    >> > http://www.mozilla.org/

    >> nice, it's a heap faster at opening.

    > Heaps heaps faster, they must have done a lot of optimisation work, doesnt
    > seem to be any new features, well, that stand out anyway.

    I think you will find that the earlier cuts would have had a lot of debug
    code in them that may have been removed. I did find the earlier Firebird
    less responsive than current Mozilla (especially in Win 95/98).
    I can't tolerate a browser that doesn't have tabs any more!

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, Oct 16, 2003
  7. In article <>,
    ldomain says...
    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:38:55 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    > > samg wrote:
    > >
    > >> http://www.mozilla.org/

    > > Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    > > your mail program?
    > >
    > > Gib

    > Whatever you like - Mozilla.org have Thunderbird (as per subject line).
    > Pegasus (Windows only) and Sylpheed are both very good.

    Pegasus and Eudora are both very good. Amd pretty bombproof re: email
    virii and such ...
    Pegasus has(had) issues with opening large jpg files (better to save them
    and view them with another program) and the editor is sometimes quirky
    the way it parses paragraphs into lines but other than that has easily
    the most power-user features I have come across.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Oct 16, 2003
  8. samg

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Murray Symon wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:38:55 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >

    >>samg wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.mozilla.org/

    >>Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    >>your mail program?
    >>
    >>Gib

    > Whatever you like - Mozilla.org have Thunderbird (as per subject line).
    > Pegasus (Windows only) and Sylpheed are both very good.

    Thanks. Another quick question: how easy would it be to migrate from
    Netscape 7.1 (I mean retaining all my mail folders, newsgroup setup,
    mail filters, bookmarks - have I forgotten anything?)?

    Gib

    Gib Bogle, Oct 18, 2003
  9. Gib

    > Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    > your mail program?

    Pocomail - configurable to do just plain email but still see
    family pix.

    Walter

    Walter Logeman, Oct 18, 2003
  10. samg

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:34:11 +1300, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Murray Symon wrote:

    >>>Just curious: if you use Firebird for your browser, what do you use for
    >>>your mail program?
    >>>
    >>>Gib

    >> Whatever you like - Mozilla.org have Thunderbird (as per subject line).
    >> Pegasus (Windows only) and Sylpheed are both very good.

    > Thanks. Another quick question: how easy would it be to migrate from
    > Netscape 7.1 (I mean retaining all my mail folders, newsgroup setup,
    > mail filters, bookmarks - have I forgotten anything?)?
    >
    > Gib

    Firebird (in my experience) seems to automatically pick up any Mozilla
    and/or IE bookmarks that it can find, I presume that will work for
    Netscape as well. I don't know about mail files - suggest you look
    through the release notes at www.mozilla,org.

    Murray

    Murray Symon, Oct 19, 2003