    what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 2, 2006

  2. ~misfit~

    XPD Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:43e296e6$...
    >I see that ver. 1.5.0.1. was released this morning (NZ time). I don't know
    >what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    What's New in Firefox 1.5.0.1
    February 1, 2006. Firefox 1.5.0.1 is a stability and security update that is
    part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet experience for our
    customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to this latest version.

    Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5.0.1:

    a.. Improved stability.
    b.. Improved support for Mac OS X.
    c.. International Domain Name support for Iceland (.is) is now enabled.
    d.. Fixes for several memory leaks.
    e.. Several security enhancements.
    XPD, Feb 2, 2006

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> I see that ver. 1.5.0.1. was released this morning (NZ time). I
    >> don't know what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > What's New in Firefox 1.5.0.1
    > February 1, 2006. Firefox 1.5.0.1 is a stability and security update
    > that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet
    > experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to
    > this latest version.
    > Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5.0.1:
    >
    > a.. Improved stability.
    > b.. Improved support for Mac OS X.
    > c.. International Domain Name support for Iceland (.is) is now
    > enabled. d.. Fixes for several memory leaks.
    > e.. Several security enhancements.

    Cool. I updated my machines from 1.5 to 1.5.0.1 this morning.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  4. T'was the Fri, 3 Feb 2006 12:57:55 +1300 when I remembered "XPD"
    <....nz> saying something like this:

    >International Domain Name support for Iceland (.is) is now enabled.

    I can just imagine all the people of Iceland finally rejoicing:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Feb 3, 2006
  5. ~misfit~

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 14:43:25 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > XPD wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >>> I see that ver. 1.5.0.1. was released this morning (NZ time). I
    >>> don't know what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.
    >>> --
    >>> ~misfit~
    >>>

    >> What's New in Firefox 1.5.0.1
    >> February 1, 2006. Firefox 1.5.0.1 is a stability and security update
    >> that is part of our ongoing program to provide a safe Internet
    >> experience for our customers. We recommend that all users upgrade to
    >> this latest version.
    >> Here's what's new in Firefox 1.5.0.1:
    >>
    >> a.. Improved stability.
    >> b.. Improved support for Mac OS X.
    >> c.. International Domain Name support for Iceland (.is) is now
    >> enabled. d.. Fixes for several memory leaks.
    >> e.. Several security enhancements.

    > Cool. I updated my machines from 1.5 to 1.5.0.1 this morning.

    This should be happening automagically. It downloads the update patch in
    the background and then pops up a window to say lets update now Y/N?

    All that is required is a restart of Firefox.

    No need to upgrade by doing a download of the whole programme.

    YMMV on dial up as you maybe not on long enuff for Firefox to know it
    needs updating.
    Gordon, Feb 3, 2006
  6. ~misfit~

    XPD Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >> Cool. I updated my machines from 1.5 to 1.5.0.1 this morning.

    > This should be happening automagically. It downloads the update patch in
    > the background and then pops up a window to say lets update now Y/N?
    >
    > All that is required is a restart of Firefox.
    >
    > No need to upgrade by doing a download of the whole programme.
    >
    > YMMV on dial up as you maybe not on long enuff for Firefox to know it
    > needs updating.

    Mines never done that. And Im online 24/7.
    Is it an option youve got to enable or is it a default ? (goes looking
    anyway)
    XPD, Feb 3, 2006
  7. ~misfit~

    S Roby Guest

    In article <43e296e6$>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >I see that ver. 1.5.0.1. was released this morning (NZ time). I don't know
    >what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.

    My Firefox has automaticly updated
    S Roby, Feb 3, 2006
  8. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    XPD wrote:
    > "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> Cool. I updated my machines from 1.5 to 1.5.0.1 this morning.

    >> This should be happening automagically. It downloads the update
    >> patch in the background and then pops up a window to say lets update
    >> now Y/N? All that is required is a restart of Firefox.
    >>
    >> No need to upgrade by doing a download of the whole programme.
    >>
    >> YMMV on dial up as you maybe not on long enuff for Firefox to know it
    >> needs updating.
    >>

    > Mines never done that. And Im online 24/7.
    > Is it an option youve got to enable or is it a default ? (goes looking
    > anyway)

    It's on by default. I unticked mine as I like to know what I'm downloading
    and when. I have it set to tell me. I wouldn't want a programme updating
    itself while I was in the middle of a game, possibly causing the game to
    drop out.

    I don't like anything auto-updating on my PCs. After all, it's *my* PC, I
    want to have the final say what gets installed and what doesn't.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  9. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > In article <43e296e6$>, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >> I see that ver. 1.5.0.1. was released this morning (NZ time). I
    >> don't know what's different, maybe just stability or somesuch.

    > My Firefox has automaticly updated

    Aye. It'll do that if you don't change the default setting. Fine if you
    don't mind someone else deciding what gets installed on your PC. I always
    set programmes to inform me if an update is available, then I can decide if
    I want to install it.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  10. ~misfit~

    David Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > XPD wrote:
    >> "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    >>> This should be happening automagically. It downloads the update
    >>> patch in the background and then pops up a window to say lets update
    >>> now Y/N? All that is required is a restart of Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> No need to upgrade by doing a download of the whole programme.
    >>>
    >>> YMMV on dial up as you maybe not on long enuff for Firefox to know it
    >>> needs updating.
    >>>

    >> Mines never done that. And Im online 24/7.
    >> Is it an option youve got to enable or is it a default ? (goes looking
    >> anyway)

    > It's on by default. I unticked mine as I like to know what I'm downloading
    > and when. I have it set to tell me. I wouldn't want a programme updating
    > itself while I was in the middle of a game, possibly causing the game to
    > drop out.
    >
    > I don't like anything auto-updating on my PCs. After all, it's *my* PC, I
    > want to have the final say what gets installed and what doesn't.

    It only happens when firefox is running. And I'm sure you don't run
    firefox while gaming.
    David, Feb 3, 2006
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    David wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> XPD wrote:
    >>> "Gordon" <> wrote in message

    >>> Mines never done that. And Im online 24/7.
    >>> Is it an option youve got to enable or is it a default ? (goes
    >>> looking anyway)

    >> It's on by default. I unticked mine as I like to know what I'm
    >> downloading and when. I have it set to tell me. I wouldn't want a
    >> programme updating itself while I was in the middle of a game,
    >> possibly causing the game to drop out.
    >>
    >> I don't like anything auto-updating on my PCs. After all, it's *my*
    >> PC, I want to have the final say what gets installed and what
    >> doesn't.

    > It only happens when firefox is running. And I'm sure you don't run
    > firefox while gaming.

    Not usually but I have been known to forget that I have a window minimised.
    :-(

    However, MS products autoupdate whenever they like, so I have Windows Update
    set to check with me first too. My main point was *I* like to decide what
    gets installed on my machine.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  12. T'was the Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:23:17 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Aye. It'll do that if you don't change the default setting. Fine if you
    >don't mind someone else deciding what gets installed on your PC. I always
    >set programmes to inform me if an update is available, then I can decide if
    >I want to install it.

    I'm of the view of if they want to update it, go ahead. I'm a bit over
    the whole micro management of computers thing, it's about time
    software started to take care of itself. One less thing for me to have
    to worry about to be honest.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Feb 3, 2006
  13. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:23:17 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> Aye. It'll do that if you don't change the default setting. Fine if
    >> you don't mind someone else deciding what gets installed on your PC.
    >> I always set programmes to inform me if an update is available, then
    >> I can decide if I want to install it.

    > I'm of the view of if they want to update it, go ahead. I'm a bit over
    > the whole micro management of computers thing, it's about time
    > software started to take care of itself. One less thing for me to have
    > to worry about to be honest.

    I see your point but I think your giving control of your life away, bit by
    bit..... The thin end of the wedge my friend. You get used to it with
    software updates, next thing it'll be bank accounts, then the council will
    be deciding when you have to paint your house, one day you'll be awakened by
    painters setting up..... Your lawns get too long the lawn squad will come
    around and mow them, then bill you......

    Or something.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 3, 2006
  14. T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 03:35:13 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >I see your point but I think your giving control of your life away, bit by
    >bit..... The thin end of the wedge my friend. You get used to it with
    >software updates, next thing it'll be bank accounts, then the council will
    >be deciding when you have to paint your house, one day you'll be awakened by
    >painters setting up..... Your lawns get too long the lawn squad will come
    >around and mow them, then bill you......

    People already mow my lawn, it's included in my rent:) I guess the
    same with painting the house.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Feb 3, 2006
  15. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 03:35:13 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >> I see your point but I think your giving control of your life away,
    >> bit by bit..... The thin end of the wedge my friend. You get used to
    >> it with software updates, next thing it'll be bank accounts, then
    >> the council will be deciding when you have to paint your house, one
    >> day you'll be awakened by painters setting up..... Your lawns get
    >> too long the lawn squad will come around and mow them, then bill
    >> you......

    > People already mow my lawn, it's included in my rent:) I guess the
    > same with painting the house.

    LOL. You're deliberately avoiding my point. My bad, I should have picked a
    better analogy.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006
  16. T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:24:28 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >>> I see your point but I think your giving control of your life away,
    >>> bit by bit..... The thin end of the wedge my friend. You get used to
    >>> it with software updates, next thing it'll be bank accounts, then
    >>> the council will be deciding when you have to paint your house, one
    >>> day you'll be awakened by painters setting up..... Your lawns get
    >>> too long the lawn squad will come around and mow them, then bill
    >>> you......

    >> People already mow my lawn, it's included in my rent:) I guess the
    >> same with painting the house.

    >LOL. You're deliberately avoiding my point. My bad, I should have picked a
    >better analogy.

    I discuss a little on my blog about how as hardware prices decrease
    and software prices remain static/decrease/become free, complexity
    costs increase. That's the same with me. I'm running lots of different
    software, from different vendors doing different things. I really like
    the idea of all my software being updated when it needs to be, with
    the ability to roll back to say, the previous version. Something akin
    to yum upgrade all on a Fedora box.

    Aren't we past the day of micromanaging our software?

    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Feb 4, 2006
  17. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 14:24:28 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:

    >>> People already mow my lawn, it's included in my rent:) I guess the
    >>> same with painting the house.

    >> LOL. You're deliberately avoiding my point. My bad, I should have
    >> picked a better analogy.

    > I discuss a little on my blog about how as hardware prices decrease
    > and software prices remain static/decrease/become free, complexity
    > costs increase. That's the same with me. I'm running lots of different
    > software, from different vendors doing different things. I really like
    > the idea of all my software being updated when it needs to be, with
    > the ability to roll back to say, the previous version. Something akin
    > to yum upgrade all on a Fedora box.
    >
    > Aren't we past the day of micromanaging our software?

    I guess. I'm just still fusking annoyed at the update, whichever it was,
    that broke my DVD writing abilities. Or at least seriously compromised them.
    It's not so bad if you can in fact go back. I haven't been able to with that
    one.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006
  18. T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:31:25 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    <> saying something like this:

    >> Aren't we past the day of micromanaging our software?

    >I guess. I'm just still fusking annoyed at the update, whichever it was,
    >that broke my DVD writing abilities. Or at least seriously compromised them.
    >It's not so bad if you can in fact go back. I haven't been able to with that
    >one.

    Tried a system restore? If it's a Microsoft Update, I believe most of
    the create a system restore point?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Feb 4, 2006
  19. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:
    > T'was the Sat, 4 Feb 2006 22:31:25 +1300 when I remembered "~misfit~"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> Aren't we past the day of micromanaging our software?

    >> I guess. I'm just still fusking annoyed at the update, whichever it
    >> was, that broke my DVD writing abilities. Or at least seriously
    >> compromised them. It's not so bad if you can in fact go back. I
    >> haven't been able to with that one.

    > Tried a system restore? If it's a Microsoft Update, I believe most of
    > the create a system restore point?

    No, I just tried uninstalling the latest updates. I am almost constantly
    changing things on my PC so restores are a last resort. Also, I've had
    problem with the last couple of times I've used it and had to go back again.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Feb 4, 2006