    of Win-xp, to let it have its way?
    3)Generic Host Process For Win32 services. What is this for.
    Windows-xp.

    Zeb, Dec 9, 2004

  2. Zeb

    Ionizer Guest

    "Zeb" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > 1)Remote Assistance: how can I remove/disable this device?
    > 2)Microsoft Direct Play voice test keeps trying to access the
    > internet. Can anyone explain why. So I need, for the good opporation
    > of Win-xp, to let it have its way?
    > 3)Generic Host Process For Win32 services. What is this for.
    > Windows-xp.

    Here's the answer to your first question:
    http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP16.htm Black Viper's site is a
    wonderful resource for tweaking your XP system. His guides to XP Services
    on SP1 and SP2 systems- links on his home page, are invaluable.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Dec 9, 2004

  3. Zeb

    Rob K Guest

    On Thu, 09 Dec 2004 23:16:06 GMT, Zeb wrote:

    <snip>
    > 3)Generic Host Process For Win32 services. What is this for.
    > Windows-xp.

    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/compupedia284.html :
    Generic Host Process, also known as: svchost.exe
    Svchost.exe is a program that loads Windows services that are in the
    form of dynamic-link libraries (DLLs). It is possible for more than one
    svchost.exe to be running at one time, with more than 1 service being
    controlled by that process.

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Dec 10, 2004
  4. Zeb

    WormWood Guest

    "Zeb" <> wrote in message
    > 1)Remote Assistance: how can I remove/disable this device?
    > 2)Microsoft Direct Play voice test keeps trying to access the
    > internet. Can anyone explain why. So I need, for the good opporation
    > of Win-xp, to let it have its way?
    > 3)Generic Host Process For Win32 services. What is this for.
    > Windows-xp.

    Answer to no.1
    Right click on My Computer
    Select Properties / Remote tab
    Uncheck "Allow remote assistance invitations........."

    WormWood, Dec 10, 2004
  5. Zeb

    trout Guest

    Zeb wrote:
    [snipped]

    > 2)Microsoft Direct Play voice test keeps trying to access the
    > internet. Can anyone explain why.

    Not really (briefly). You need to look up the definitions for
    DirectPlay, and DirectPlay Voice.

    > So I need, for the good opporation
    > of Win-xp, to let it have its way?

    No. You do not. Good rule of thumb; when something wants to 'phone
    in' when it's not specifically related to a task that you want to
    perform, deny it. Chances are very good that it will have *nothing* to
    do with useful everyday operation of your system.
    If you find that it was needed for something, you can always allow
    it later. When you *know* what it's doing.
    --
    "Shoot first....."

    trout, Dec 10, 2004