    have access to. I've been told that I need to format it before first use but
    do I format it using Vista or XP? Is NTFS best due to it being 4gig?

    Netty
    Netty, Mar 16, 2008

  2. Netty

    Guest

    "Netty" <> wrote:

    >I've just bought a new 4gig USB flash drive since I frazzled my other one
    >after just one use! Before I start using my new one can someone advise what
    >I do with it before I start using it as I don't want this one going belly-up
    >too.

    Disable caching, so removing won't damage the drive (write to it when
    you pull it out).

    XP http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbstick_e.html

    Vista appears to have a problem with this, Google:
    vista usb "optimize for quick removal"

    >BTW, I use Vista at home and XP at work and college. I want to be able to
    >transfer files (usually word docs and pdf files) via the three PCs that I
    >have access to. I've been told that I need to format it before first use but
    >do I format it using Vista or XP? Is NTFS best due to it being 4gig?

    Format it FAT32 and almost any OS can read it.

    --

    http://www.planetdan.net/pics/misc/geronimo.gif
    , Mar 16, 2008

  3. Netty

    JANA Guest

    When starting with a new flash drive, it should not be necessary to format
    it.

    For the one you think you frazzled, did you try to format it?
    Did you call the tech support for the flash drive to see if they have any
    suggestions?

    I use a lot of these flash drives and never had any problems with them!

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Mar 17, 2008