    benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    matter.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 26, 2006

  2. E. Scrooge

    Shane Guest

    *sling wrote:

    > According to TV3 News.
    >
    > Guess what the complaints are now?
    > ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    > done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >
    > By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    > at long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    > share of the market out of it.
    >
    > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    > matter.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Um
    The problem is, Ihug can only sell Xtra adsl
    Xtra's retail plans are (said to be) lower than what they sell people like
    Ihug, or so low as to make it uneconomic
    Ihug has no choice but to sell the Xtra adsl for more (Ihug has to recover
    its own costs for a start)
    I think Telstra pulled a similar stunt in oz a few years ago, and got stung
    by the Oz com com last year for the scheme

    --
    Don-Bot: That wad of scab money should be slushing my funds and kicking my
    backs.

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org
    Shane, Sep 26, 2006

  3. E. Scrooge

    whome Guest

    > According to TV3 News.
    >
    > Guess what the complaints are now?
    > ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    > done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >
    > By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    > at long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    > share of the market out of it.
    >
    > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    > matter.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Dude, you're well off base. This is telecom abusing their monopoly and is a
    classic example of why telecom needs a good dealing to.
    whome, Sep 26, 2006
  4. E. Scrooge

    Stu Fleming Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message
    > Dude, you're well off base. This is telecom abusing their monopoly and is
    > a classic example of why telecom needs a good dealing to.

    TC have had an unlimited ADSL plan for a while...if you can afford $600
    monthly.
    $150 for 2MB both ways and no data charges is about where it should be ;-)
    Stu Fleming, Sep 26, 2006
  5. In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > Guess what the complaints are now?
    > ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    > done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.

    Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
    Telecom and its monopoly alone.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2006
  6. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "whome" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> According to TV3 News.
    >>
    >> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >> something done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the
    >> people of NZ.
    >>
    >> By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    >> at long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    >> share of the market out of it.
    >>
    >> If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    >> benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    >> matter.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Dude, you're well off base. This is telecom abusing their monopoly and is
    > a classic example of why telecom needs a good dealing to.

    Dude, when Foodstuffs undercut everyone else you're not complaining then.

    Telecom has been under fire by ISP for not offering enough.
    Well the day is finally here when Telecom is offering good plans through
    Xtra.

    When ihug was the only major natiobwide ISP offering flat rate dial up plans
    in the country in the mid 90s. You weren't jumping up and down grizzling
    about unfair tactics to Telecom/Xtra during those times, were you?

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 26, 2006
  7. E. Scrooge

    Vista Guest

    > According to TV3 News.
    >
    > Guess what the complaints are now?
    > ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    > done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >
    > By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    > at long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    > share of the market out of it.
    >
    > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    > matter.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Especially as iHug are now looking at exiting NZ, after promising to invest
    millions into NZ network if it became unbundled. IHUg don't care about their
    customers, they only care about how much money they will get for ihug when
    they sell it.
    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  8. E. Scrooge

    John B Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > IHUg don't care about their customers, they only care about
    > how much money they will get for ihug when they sell it.

    You had better NEVER sell your house for profit then, had you?
    Otherwise that'd make you a cheating fucking hypocrite.

    John B, Sep 26, 2006
  9. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    > In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >
    >> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >> something
    >> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.

    > Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
    > Telecom and its monopoly alone.

    Whatever is best for the consumer.

    No one is grizzling because SKY TV has Pay TV all to themselves.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 26, 2006
  10. E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz (*sling)> wrote in message
    >> According to TV3 News.
    >>
    >> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >> something done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the
    >> people of NZ.
    >>
    >> By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    >> at long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    >> share of the market out of it.
    >>
    >> If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    >> benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    >> matter.
    >>
    >> E. Scrooge
    >>

    > Especially as iHug are now looking at exiting NZ, after promising to
    > invest millions into NZ network if it became unbundled. IHUg don't care
    > about their customers, they only care about how much money they will get
    > for ihug when they sell it.

    iinet might get even less for ihug soon, but iinet has got what it's been
    after from ihug already. All of ihug's Australian customers. ihug NZ is
    just unwanted garbage as far as iinet is concerned.

    There'll be a book one day - The Rise And Fall Of ihug.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Sep 26, 2006
  11. E. Scrooge

    Vista Guest

    >> In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >>> something
    >>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of
    >>> NZ.

    >> Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
    >> Telecom and its monopoly alone.

    > Whatever is best for the consumer.
    >
    > No one is grizzling because SKY TV has Pay TV all to themselves.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    Except their customers who say that they are paying too much, and for
    channels that they don't want. I quit my sky connection because it wasn't
    worth it. Far cheaper just to rent DVDs.
    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  12. In message <1159258090.558602@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    >> In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >>> something
    >>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of
    >>> NZ.

    >> Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
    >> Telecom and its monopoly alone.

    > Whatever is best for the consumer.

    Who decides?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 26, 2006
  13. E. Scrooge

    Vista Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> IHUg don't care about their customers, they only care about how much
    >> money they will get for ihug when they sell it.

    > You had better NEVER sell your house for profit then, had you? Otherwise
    > that'd make you a cheating fucking hypocrite.

    I don't understand your lodgic on that.
    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  14. E. Scrooge

    GraB Guest

    On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> wrote:

    >According to TV3 News.
    >
    >Guess what the complaints are now?
    >ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    >done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >
    >By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light at
    >long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger share
    >of the market out of it.
    >
    >If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    >benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    >matter.

    Story on Teletext says Commerce Commision have confirmed they are
    looking at the latest plans after receiving complaints.
    GraB, Sep 26, 2006
  15. E. Scrooge

    Crash Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    >> In message <1159252721.231824@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess what the complaints are now?
    >>> ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want
    >>> something
    >>> done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.

    >> Yah! The Gummint should keep its meddling hands out of business! Leave
    >> Telecom and its monopoly alone.

    > Whatever is best for the consumer.
    >
    > No one is grizzling because SKY TV has Pay TV all to themselves.

    Jeeze Scroogie I thought you had as few more clues that this.

    Apart from where TC have their own cable, access to faster-than-dialup internet
    is through Telecom. At present we have a choice of ISP providers because
    Telecom in the past have chosen to make what amounts to 'last mile' ADSL
    services available to non-telecom ISPs at a rate that allows them to compete
    profitably with Xtra (Telecom's ISP service). Until unbundling is fully
    implemented, other ISPs are dependent on being able to compete with Xtra while
    paying Telecom to connect their ADSL customers.

    So ISPs cannot compete with Xtra with the new plans - not because Xtra are
    ultra-competitive but because the last-mile Telecom charges for ADSL connections
    does not allow ISPs to operate profitably while matching Xtras pricing. So
    either Xtra pricing is too low (Telecom subsidising Xtra) or Telecom pricing to
    Xtra is way lower than for external ISPs (typical monopolistic practice).

    Now when you can only get full-speed ADSL through Xtra just how long do you
    think the existing pricing will last?

    In case you cant see where this is headed, if Foodstuffs undercut all their
    rivals and put them out of business, when the last non-Foodstuffs supermarket
    closes its doors what would you expect to happen to the goods they have to sell
    (given that without competition they can charge what they like)? Why would
    Telecom/Xtra act any differently?

    This is the situation if I understand things correctly.

    Where do you get the impression that everyone is happy with Sky TV?

    Crash.
    Crash, Sep 26, 2006
  16. E. Scrooge

    Vista Guest

    "GraB" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 18:42:29 +1200, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> wrote:
    >
    >>According to TV3 News.
    >>
    >>Guess what the complaints are now?
    >>ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    >>done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >>
    >>By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light
    >>at
    >>long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger
    >>share
    >>of the market out of it.
    >>
    >>If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    >>benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    >>matter.
    >>

    > Story on Teletext says Commerce Commision have confirmed they are
    > looking at the latest plans after receiving complaints.

    Probably from their competitiors.
    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  17. E. Scrooge

    John B Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    > "John B" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> IHUg don't care about their customers, they only care about
    >>> how much money they will get for ihug when they sell it.

    >> You had better NEVER sell your house for profit then, had you?
    >> Otherwise that'd make you a cheating fucking hypocrite.

    > I don't understand your lodgic on that.

    Eh? Would you sell your house to the highest bidder? Or would you
    "care" about your customers and sell it cheap?

    I suspect you wouldn't care about your customers [potential
    buyers of your house], you'd only care about how much money you
    can get when you sell it.

    So why is that ok for you, but not for iHug?

    John B, Sep 26, 2006
  18. E. Scrooge

    Vista Guest

    "John B" <> wrote in message

    > "Vista" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "John B" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Vista" <> wrote in message

    >>> You had better NEVER sell your house for profit then, had you? Otherwise
    >>> that'd make you a cheating fucking hypocrite.

    >> I don't understand your lodgic on that.

    > Eh? Would you sell your house to the highest bidder? Or would you "care"
    > about your customers and sell it cheap?
    >
    > I suspect you wouldn't care about your customers [potential buyers of your
    > house], you'd only care about how much money you can get when you sell it.
    >
    > So why is that ok for you, but not for iHug?

    The analogies are nothing alike. iHug aren't selling their business to their
    customers, they are selling it to their competitors. The customers have
    nothing to do with it at all, and will probably be unaffected by any sale.
    iHug are still going to sell it to the highest bidder, and this makes no
    difference to their customers. My point is, which you took out of context,
    is that they aren't willing to put their money where their mouth is and
    invest in NZers infrastructure, as they said they would do if the government
    unbundled the network. All they are now interested in is exiting NZ.
    Vista, Sep 26, 2006
  19. E. Scrooge

    John B Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't understand your lodgic on that.

    >> Eh? Would you sell your house to the highest bidder? Or would
    >> you "care" about your customers and sell it cheap?
    >>
    >> I suspect you wouldn't care about your customers [potential
    >> buyers of your house], you'd only care about how much money
    >> you can get when you sell it.
    >>
    >> So why is that ok for you, but not for iHug?

    > The analogies are nothing alike.

    Of course they are. If someone is willing to buy something they
    are a customer.

    > iHug aren't selling their business to their customers, they are
    > selling it to their competitors.

    Nope. Customers. They have a product [asset]to sell if they sell
    it to their competitors, then those competitors are NOT
    competitors, they are customers.

    > The customers have nothing to do with it at all, and will
    > probably be unaffected by any sale.

    Not the customers of the service the asset or business provides,
    (or the renters' of the houses you buy and sell). But the
    customers who are purchasing the asset.

    > iHug are still going to sell it to the highest bidder,

    As you would your house, right? It has nothing to do with the
    customers of the business, (or the renters' of your house).

    > and this makes no difference to their customers. My point is,
    > which you took out of context, is that they aren't willing to
    > put their money where their mouth is and invest in NZers
    > infrastructure,

    They can change their mind. Just as you can. Nothing wrong with
    that at all.

    > as they said they would do if the government unbundled the
    > network. All they are now interested in is exiting NZ.

    Don't blame them with Noddy's like you infesting the country.

    John B, Sep 26, 2006
  20. E. Scrooge

    steve Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > According to TV3 News.
    >
    > Guess what the complaints are now?
    > ihug says the Xtra deals are better than they can offer and want something
    > done to stop Xtra from offering realistic good deals to the people of NZ.
    >
    > By being super competitive with a realistic plan Xtra has seen the light at
    > long last, and should do very well out of it by getting an even bigger share
    > of the market out of it.
    >
    > If ihug can't match Xtra then tough luck, Xtra isn't in business for the
    > benefit of ihug or any other ISP for that matter, and vice versa for that
    > matter.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    You have a lot of catching up to do.
    steve, Sep 26, 2006