    different levels.

    Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
    it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.

    santa, Aug 23, 2003

  2. santa

    NZed Guest

    I am looking at broadband myself....who have the best deals at the moment.?
    An average user ....less than a 1 gig a month
    NZed

    NZed, Aug 23, 2003

  3. On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:41:30 +1200, Lennier wrote:

    > Telecom is still exploiting it's broadband monopoly by not actually
    > providing affordable broadband access like what is available in the USA.

    It's not the broadband side of things they're concerned about.

    The caps and other restrictions are all about discouraging companies
    moving from their _extremely_ profitable DDS circuits to ADSL.

    Telecom gets around 1/4 to 1/3 of its income from DDS and related
    services. They can't afford for there to be massive uptake of ADSL in
    business.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 23, 2003
  4. santa

    Jay Guest

    santa wrote:

    > JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
    > will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB.

    No, it wont run at 256kbps. It will run *up* to 256kbps.
    Would you buy a house advertised at "up to" 3 bedrooms?

    > The new offerings, which will be
    > available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
    > respectively, not including ISP charges.
    >
    > I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
    > think we really are this stupid?

    Yes.

    > Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
    > different levels.

    At least you have a choice there.

    Jay, Aug 23, 2003
  5. santa

    Jay Guest

    Anthony Neville wrote:

    > If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at getting
    > Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps dl/512Kbps ul for
    > $110) and my average is
    > about 800MB per month.

    Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per month.
    Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

    Jay, Aug 23, 2003
  6. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Jay <> wrote in

    > Anthony Neville wrote:
    >

    >> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at
    >> getting Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps
    >> dl/512Kbps ul for $110) and my average is
    >> about 800MB per month.

    > Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
    > month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

    Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
    so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
    browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  7. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    MarkH <> wrote in news:bi7biu$5ud$:

    > "Uncle StoatWarbler" <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 11:09:26 +1200, santa wrote:
    >>
    >>> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
    >>> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB. The new offerings, which will
    >>> be available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
    >>> respectively, not including ISP charges.

    >> I pay $75/month including ISP charges for 512kb/s uncapped. Be
    >> assured I regularly exceed 20GB/month. If I want 1Mb/s it's $90/month
    >>
    >> Kinda interesting that the service is significantly more expensive
    >> than 128kb/s with 10GB cap....

    > Telecom impose no cap whatsoever on the Jetstream Starter (128K)
    > accounts. Which makes your point even more interesting.
    >
    > My ISP (IHUG) allows me to transfer unlimited national traffic and up
    > to 10GB international. A second account allows a further 10GB of
    > international traffic. All this on the $29.95 Jetstream account from
    > Telecom.

    So you have 2 accounts and just change the loggin ID and password ?

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  8. santa

    art Guest

    On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 23:49:45 +1000, Jay <> wrote:

    >santa wrote:
    >
    >> JetStream Home will run at 256Kbit/s for both up and downloads and
    >> will be capped at 500MB, 1GB and 2GB.

    >No, it wont run at 256kbps. It will run *up* to 256kbps.
    >Would you buy a house advertised at "up to" 3 bedrooms?
    >
    >> The new offerings, which will be
    >> available in 30 days, will cost $39.95, $49.95 and $59.95
    >> respectively, not including ISP charges.
    >>
    >> I almost laughed my arse off. Who are they trying to fool? Do they
    >> think we really are this stupid?

    >Yes.
    >

    >> Reminds me how this isp in Au has 20 pages of services, all capped to
    >> different levels.

    >At least you have a choice there.
    >

    >> Then there's this ISP in HK, with one service only. Unlimited. Oh, and
    >> it's cheaper than all the plans of the Au isp too.

    A certain and reasonable percentage of people would have to be
    running it at 256 for them to say that, otherwise it is false
    advertising. Otherwise a sale a shop could say up to 90% off
    everything, but only has one thing that is 90% off, they will get in
    trouble with the CC.

    art, Aug 24, 2003
  9. "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message news:IDT1b.13459$...
    > Jay <> wrote in
    >
    > > Anthony Neville wrote:
    > >

    > >> If you live in Christchuch or Wellington then have a close look at
    > >> getting Paradise cable. I have the Paradise Express plan (2Mbps
    > >> dl/512Kbps ul for $110) and my average is
    > >> about 800MB per month.

    > > Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
    > > month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

    > Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
    > so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
    > browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

    I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
    them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
    New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
    a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.

    Tony.

    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003
  10. santa

    Who is this Guest

    In article <rzU1b.13467$>,
    "Anthony Neville" <> wrote:

    > "Chris Mayhew" <> wrote in message
    > > Jay <> wrote in

    > > > Which amounts to a grand total of 53 minutes of continuous use per
    > > > month. Are you sure you are getting value for money at $2 per minute?

    > > Thats the impression I get, but then his average usage is 800 MB per month
    > > so he is most likely interested in speed of downloading his email and
    > > browsing etc so that he's not waiting round for webpages to download.

    > I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
    > them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
    > New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
    > a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.
    >
    > Tony.

    Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
    to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
    cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  11. "Who is this" <> wrote in message news:...
    > In article <rzU1b.13467$>,
    > "Anthony Neville" <> wrote:

    [...]
    > > I also like jumping from picture to picture in binary newsgroups and having
    > > them displayed in < 2 secs. Keep in mind that when downloading data within
    > > New Zealand only a ~tenth~ of the data is added to the usage. Downloading
    > > a RedHat distribution locally adds ~190MB to my usage instead of 1.9GB.
    > >
    > > Tony.
    > >

    > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
    > to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
    > cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

    Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?

    Tony.

    Anthony Neville, Aug 24, 2003
  12. santa

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Who is this <> wrote in

    > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I
    > wanted to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is
    > still cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am
    > online.

    Which ISP offers this plan ?

    --
    Chris Mayhew using Xnews !

    Chris Mayhew, Aug 24, 2003
  13. santa

    Who is this Guest

    In article <6nV1b.13471$>,
    "Anthony Neville" <> wrote:

    > > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I wanted
    > > to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is still
    > > cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am online.

    > Does the same zero cost apply to Jetstream?

    A quick check on the telecom web site says tahst only jetstart has the
    unlimited national traffic.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  14. santa

    Who is this Guest

    In article <NHV1b.13477$>,
    Chris Mayhew <> wrote:

    > Who is this <> wrote in
    >

    > > Dowloading locally as ZERO to jetstart, I can download 1000G if I
    > > wanted to locally at ZERO extra cost. Sure its only 128k but it is
    > > still cheaper than a 2nd phone lins so someone can call me while I am
    > > online.

    > Which ISP offers this plan ?

    XTRA, but go and read the costs of jetstart on telecoms site.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  15. "Lennier" <> wrote in message
    > Even Telecom's best deal at the moment is till too expensive for what is
    > being offered.
    >
    > Dry crumbs thrown down from the table IMHO.
    >
    > Telecom is still exploiting it's broadband monopoly by not actually
    > providing affordable broadband access like what is available in the USA.

    NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2003
  16. santa

    Who is this Guest

    In article <3uY1b.125400$>,
    "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:

    > NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    > world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
    internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
    that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
    less.

    Who is this, Aug 24, 2003
  17. "Who is this" <> wrote in message
    > > NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    > > world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    > The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
    > internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
    > that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
    > less.

    Which is not to say that I think we should get a better deal. National,
    international differnet rates sound pretty fair and reasonable to me.

    Nathan Mercer, Aug 24, 2003
  18. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 20:16:20 +1200, Who is this <> wrote:

    >In article <3uY1b.125400$>,
    > "Nathan Mercer" <nathan@4757979!!!SPAMSUCKS****mcs.co.nz> wrote:
    >

    >> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    >> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    >The look at the traffic patterns, the majority of the US traffic is
    >internal, the majority of NZ traffic is external. Add to that the fact
    >that all of NZs populationonly adds up to what 1/5 of New York, maybe
    >less.

    So why don't the new plans offer *free* local traffic and only include
    international traffic in their cap like JetStream Starter does?

    THere's also more evidence that Telecom are ripping us off in
    tomorrow's (Monday's) Aardvark.

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 24, 2003
  19. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:17:35 +0000, "Uncle StoatWarbler"
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:58:27 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:
    >

    >> NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    >> world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    >That doesn't explain why it costs 4-5 times as much to get a circuit from
    >Auckland to anywhere else in the country as it does to get it from Los
    >Angeles to Auckland in the first place.

    And it also doesn't explain why flat-rate *true* flat-rate uncapped
    broadband (as opposed to Telecom's JetStream Home/Starter offerings)
    via DSL is available for a reasonable price in Australia.

    Does that extra 1,500 miles really make so much difference?

    And why, if the cost is down to all that distance between NZ and the
    rest of thew orld, are Telecom charging up to $0.20/MB for NATIONAL
    over-cap traffic on their new JetStream Home offeings?

    Bruce Simpson, Aug 24, 2003
  20. On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:58:27 +1200, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > NZ is not the USA. Get out and about sometime and look at a map of the
    > world. There is a little thing called an ocean in the way

    That doesn't explain why it costs 4-5 times as much to get a circuit from
    Auckland to anywhere else in the country as it does to get it from Los
    Angeles to Auckland in the first place.

    For ****'s sake Nathan, are you Telecom and Microsoft's paid broken
    record?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Aug 25, 2003