New ultra fast P&S from Casio

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ASAAR, Aug 31, 2007.

  1. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    Part of a press release posted on DPReview.com :

    > The first prototype will be on display at the IFA, a
    > consumer electronics trade show, in Berlin, Germany,
    > which opens on August 31, 2007.

    . . .

    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083101casio300fps.asp

    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2007

  2. ASAAR wrote:

    >> Moreover, using Pre-shot Burst Mode,
    >>(a ultra-high speed continuous shooting mode that captures
    >>images from the scene prior to the moment when you actually
    >>press the shutter button), users can be confident they will never
    >>miss the most crucial photographic moment.

    It records images BEFORE the button is pressed?? What happens
    if you change your mind?

    Wow. NEGATIVE shutter lag.

    Philip Bailey, Aug 31, 2007

  3. ASAAR

    Scott W Guest

    Philip Bailey wrote:
    > ASAAR wrote:
    >
    > >> Moreover, using Pre-shot Burst Mode,
    >>> (a ultra-high speed continuous shooting mode that captures
    >>> images from the scene prior to the moment when you actually
    >>> press the shutter button), users can be confident they will never
    >>> miss the most crucial photographic moment.

    > It records images BEFORE the button is pressed?? What happens
    > if you change your mind?
    >
    > Wow. NEGATIVE shutter lag.

    It keeps a buffers of shots all the time, then when you push the shutter
    is saves a number of the shots that were taken before you push the shutter.

    The camera sounds pretty neat but there is a lot they are not saying
    yet, like how many frames can be captured at these speeds.

    Scott

    Scott W, Aug 31, 2007
  4. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:18:38 -1000, Scott W wrote:

    >> It records images BEFORE the button is pressed?? What happens
    >> if you change your mind?
    >>
    >> Wow. NEGATIVE shutter lag.

    > It keeps a buffers of shots all the time, then when you push the shutter
    > is saves a number of the shots that were taken before you push the shutter.

    It probably only starts filling the buffer when it detects at
    least a half-press of the shutter. Otherwise it might need to be
    attached to a Diehard marine battery. :) This type of "pre"
    buffering is also used by some audio recorders.

    > The camera sounds pretty neat but there is a lot they are not saying
    > yet, like how many frames can be captured at these speeds.

    If it accepts MMC cards, perhaps only one frame. :) Actually, it
    should be limited by the amount of internal buffer memory. It would
    be kinda neat if the buffer could be expanded by plugging in a
    "computer" memory module, which could increase the buffer size to
    the multi-gigabyte range. Even with that, you'd still want to use
    extremely fast memory cards. I don't think that a camera of this
    type will make it into production any time soon.

    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2007
  5. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:10:13 -0400, Philip Bailey wrote:

    > It records images BEFORE the button is pressed?? What happens
    > if you change your mind?
    >
    > Wow. NEGATIVE shutter lag.

    It's designed to use a thiotimoline based lubricant. :)

    ASAAR, Aug 31, 2007
  6. ASAAR

    Ron Hunter Guest

    ASAAR wrote:
    > Part of a press release posted on DPReview.com :
    >
    >> The first prototype will be on display at the IFA, a
    >> consumer electronics trade show, in Berlin, Germany,
    >> which opens on August 31, 2007.

    > . . .
    >
    >> For still images, the camera achieves ultra high speed burst
    >> shooting of 60 images per second at maximum resolution —the
    >> fastest in the world*. Moreover, using Pre-shot Burst Mode,
    >> (a ultra-high speed continuous shooting mode that captures
    >> images from the scene prior to the moment when you actually
    >> press the shutter button), users can be confident they will never
    >> miss the most crucial photographic moment.
    >>
    >> The camera can also capture movies at VGA resolution at an
    >> incredible 300 frames per second, which means it can record
    >> movies for replay in ultra-slow motion, a function that has only
    >> been possible so far with a limited range of professional movie
    >> equipment.

    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083101casio300fps.asp

    Considering the technical problems in doing that, the camera is pretty
    amazing. Doing it at a reasonable price is even more amazing.

    Ron Hunter, Sep 1, 2007
  7. ASAAR

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 03:33:55 -0500, Ron Hunter wrote:

    >>> The camera can also capture movies at VGA resolution at an
    >>> incredible 300 frames per second, which means it can record
    >>> movies for replay in ultra-slow motion, a function that has only
    >>> been possible so far with a limited range of professional movie
    >>> equipment.

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083101casio300fps.asp
    >>

    > Considering the technical problems in doing that, the camera is pretty
    > amazing. Doing it at a reasonable price is even more amazing.

    It it's ever made available at *any* price it'll also be amazing.
    Many prototypes aren't even intended to become future products. It
    this one sees the light of day as a real product it'll probably be
    no sooner than 2009. It's still a very interesting gadget, or as
    you said, pretty amazing, and it doesn't use a Gatling lens/sensor
    array!

    ASAAR, Sep 1, 2007
  8. ASAAR

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote:
    >ASAAR wrote:
    >> Part of a press release posted on DPReview.com :
    >>
    >>> The first prototype will be on display at the IFA, a
    >>> consumer electronics trade show, in Berlin, Germany,
    >>> which opens on August 31, 2007.

    >> . . .
    >>
    >>> For still images, the camera achieves ultra high speed burst
    >>> shooting of 60 images per second at maximum resolution —the
    >>> fastest in the world*. Moreover, using Pre-shot Burst Mode,
    >>> (a ultra-high speed continuous shooting mode that captures
    >>> images from the scene prior to the moment when you actually
    >>> press the shutter button), users can be confident they will never
    >>> miss the most crucial photographic moment.
    >>>
    >>> The camera can also capture movies at VGA resolution at an
    >>> incredible 300 frames per second, which means it can record
    >>> movies for replay in ultra-slow motion, a function that has only
    >>> been possible so far with a limited range of professional movie
    >>> equipment.

    >> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0708/07083101casio300fps.asp
    >>

    >Considering the technical problems in doing that, the camera is pretty
    >amazing. Doing it at a reasonable price is even more amazing.

    It uses a thiotimoline activated shutter and so manages to
    take pictures a millisecond *before* you press the shutter
    button.

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Sep 2, 2007