New UBS plan - 512kbps Upload

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Fred Dagg, Feb 12, 2006.

  1. Fred Dagg

    Fred Dagg Guest

    Fred Dagg, Feb 12, 2006

  2. Fred Dagg wrote:
    > Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    Upstream of 512kbs^-1 on their 3.5Mbs^-1 service only. This will be
    expensive, and subject to the same low caps as their other UBS offerings.

    We need uncapped data on the Telecom lines more than we need higher speeds.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Feb 12, 2006

  3. T'was the Mon, 13 Feb 2006 08:44:12 +1300 when I remembered Fred Dagg
    <> saying something like this:

    >Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    >speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >
    >http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    Well it's good to see a significant speed increase for a minor price
    increase at the wholesale price level anyways.

    I wonder why there's such a significant price increase (nearly double)
    from 3.5M/128k to 3.5M/512k? Still it's good to see. Any progress is
    progress.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Feb 12, 2006
  4. Fred Dagg

    Nova Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    Is is great to see a 512kbit upload speed. I won't get too excited
    until I see what the caps are, if they are still a joke and set at 10
    gigs or something silly.
    Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation of
    course.

    Nova, Feb 12, 2006
  5. Fred Dagg

    ardz Guest

    "Nova" <> wrote in message news:43ef9898$...
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    >> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >>
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    > Is is great to see a 512kbit upload speed. I won't get too excited until
    > I see what the caps are, if they are still a joke and set at 10 gigs or
    > something silly.
    > Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation of
    > course.

    The caps are as follows

    Plan name Maximum speed down/up Monthly Data Allowance (GB) Price -
    w/Telecom direct calling inc GST Price- w/out Telecom direct calling inc GST
    Overage charges (c/MB)
    Basic 256K/128K 0.2 $29.95 $39.95 2c/MB
    Go 2M/128K 1 $39.95 $49.95 Flat Rate*
    Explorer 3.5M/128K 5 $49.95 $59.95 Flat Rate*
    Adventure 3.5M/128K 10 $59.95 $69.95 Flat Rate*
    Pro 3.5/512K 10 $79.95 $89.95 2c/MB
    Pro Advanced 3.5/512K 20 $99.95 $109.95 2c/MB
    Pro Ultra 3.5/512K 40 $149.95 $159.95 2c/MB

    Good to see finally the option of "Broadband" speeds for uploads.

    ardz, Feb 12, 2006
  6. Fred Dagg

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > speed, to be ready by April 1st:

    And anyone who buys it is a fool. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Feb 12, 2006
  7. Fred Dagg

    jedmeister Guest

    "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    >> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >>
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    > Upstream of 512kbs^-1 on their 3.5Mbs^-1 service only. This will be
    > expensive, and subject to the same low caps as their other UBS offerings.
    >
    > We need uncapped data on the Telecom lines more than we need higher
    > speeds.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    Well, I think higher speeds are 'as' important.

    Telecom they are very secretive not to release the entire package details.

    For each new plan, I want to know....

    1. upstream/downstream speeds
    2. Service level 'ping times, both within NZ and overseas. UBS introduces
    'lag' according to some punters.
    3. Data Cap limits.
    4. Service level agreement up-time.

    jedmeister, Feb 12, 2006
  8. Fred Dagg

    jedmeister Guest

    "jedmeister" <> wrote in message

    > "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    >> Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    >>> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >>>
    >>> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    >> Upstream of 512kbs^-1 on their 3.5Mbs^-1 service only. This will be
    >> expensive, and subject to the same low caps as their other UBS offerings.
    >>
    >> We need uncapped data on the Telecom lines more than we need higher
    >> speeds.
    >>
    >> The Other Guy

    > Well, I think higher speeds are 'as' important.
    >
    > Telecom they are very secretive not to release the entire package details.
    >
    > For each new plan, I want to know....
    >
    > 1. upstream/downstream speeds
    > 2. Service level 'ping times, both within NZ and overseas. UBS introduces
    > 'lag' according to some punters.
    > 3. Data Cap limits.
    > 4. Service level agreement up-time.

    I should add...

    5. No application bans (e.g, webservers).

    jedmeister, Feb 12, 2006
  9. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:10:24 +1300, Nova wrote:

    > Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation of
    > course.

    Agreed.

    There is no good reason why All towns and cities within New Zealand cannot
    have full-speed, uncapped, unrestricted, flat-rate, affordable DSL.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 12, 2006
  10. Fred Dagg

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 09:10:24 +1300, Nova wrote:
    >
    >> Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation
    >> of course.

    > Agreed.
    >
    > There is no good reason why All towns and cities within New Zealand
    > cannot have full-speed, uncapped, unrestricted, flat-rate, affordable
    > DSL.

    Yes there is, shareholder dividends.

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 12, 2006
  11. Fred Dagg

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:
    > Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    When I saw the discussion here, I immediately thought - Orcon will be
    all over this, bugger.

    Go to the article, 4th paragraph is about Orcon

    "Orcon, one of the ISPs that have been pushing hard for government moves
    to give Telecom a rocket, has come out to say that it would be happy
    with Telecom's offer and accepting it would mean we'd get faster
    internet by April 1. The alternative, they say, would be a long wait
    while the government and the telco engaged in a protracted and expensive
    legal battle -- while users were stuck at current speeds."

    Of course they would be happy, it is a quick fix, they just take their
    margin and move on; they aren't going to care if the plan is the best
    that can be achieved, because there are so few alternatives.

    While I expected Orcon to to support these new plans, I'm amazed at how
    quickly they jumped on board. Frankly, it is almost embarrassing. If
    Orcon ever change the 256Kb UBS "pseudo unlimited" plan, I'm gone.

    Telecom aren't offering 512K up because their customers want it, they
    are offering it because higher ADSL speeds won't work without it; and at
    the same time are trying to stall regulation.

    And note they aren't going to offer it on 2Mb/s plans, either, which a
    lot of people have moved to (mostly regretting it, it seems). Maybe
    Telecom figures they'll move to 3.5Mb/s plans instead.

    That 200Mb cap plan looks real attractive - why would you even bother
    with broadband if you are only using that much data?

    -=rjh=-, Feb 12, 2006
  12. Fred Dagg

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >
    > http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    Broadband for the masses, which is the major issue, should be 256K/128K,
    500MB with capping to 64K over this, $29.95. No ISP in NZ offers that,
    or anything like it, because, presumably, Telecom won't countenance it.

    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006
  13. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:03:19 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    >>> Again it is just telecom doing the bare minimum to escape regulation of
    >>> course.

    >> Agreed.
    >>
    >> There is no good reason why All towns and cities within New Zealand
    >> cannot have full-speed, uncapped, unrestricted, flat-rate, affordable
    >> DSL.

    > Yes there is, shareholder dividends.

    That's not a good reason.

    Yes, of course Telecom should not be in a situation where it does not make
    a profit out of providing broadband internet access.

    And that profit should not be extortionate.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    A: because it messes up threading
    Q: why should I not reply by top-posting?

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 13, 2006
  14. Fred Dagg

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:03:19 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >>> There is no good reason why All towns and cities within New Zealand
    >>> cannot have full-speed, uncapped, unrestricted, flat-rate,
    >>> affordable DSL.

    >> Yes there is, shareholder dividends.

    > That's not a good reason.
    >
    > Yes, of course Telecom should not be in a situation where it does not
    > make a profit out of providing broadband internet access.
    >
    > And that profit should not be extortionate.

    It's a very good reason, just so long as you look at it from Telecom's point
    of view.

    I'm not Telecom, so I don't personally find it to be an agreeable reason,
    but it is still a good reason.

    The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing else.
    Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their profits by selling
    their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory, doubtless they would.

    Nik Coughlin, Feb 13, 2006
  15. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:30:39 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing else.
    > Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their profits by
    > selling their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory, doubtless they
    > would.

    Wrong!

    The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
    communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so in a
    manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment involved.

    Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential utility to
    our community.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Every major worm other than the original Morris Worm from 1988 has leveraged
    a hole in Microsoft products.

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 13, 2006
  16. Fred Dagg

    jedmeister Guest

    "A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:30:39 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >
    >> The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing
    >> else.
    >> Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their profits by
    >> selling their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory, doubtless they
    >> would.

    > Wrong!
    >
    > The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
    > communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so in a
    > manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment involved.
    >
    > Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential utility to
    > our community.
    >

    > A Nice Cup of Tea

    No, *maximum* return. Any less than maximum is not acceptable to
    shareholders.

    jedmeister, Feb 13, 2006
  17. Fred Dagg

    -=rjh=- Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > Fred Dagg wrote:
    >> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    >> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    >>
    >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    > When I saw the discussion here, I immediately thought - Orcon will be
    > all over this, bugger.
    >
    > Go to the article, 4th paragraph is about Orcon

    Oops, article I was referring to was not the one above, it was
    http://aardvark.co.nz/, my bad. Comments still stand, though.

    -=rjh=-, Feb 13, 2006
  18. On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:59:03 +1300, jedmeister wrote:

    > "A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:30:39 +1300, Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>
    >>> The purpose of Telecom is to make as much money as possible, nothing
    >>> else.
    >>> Nothing. If they thought that they could increase their profits by
    >>> selling their own dear grandmothers to the glue factory, doubtless they
    >>> would.

    >> Wrong!
    >>
    >> The purpose of Telecom... of telecomms corporations... is to provide
    >> communications infrastructure for those who want it, and to do so in a
    >> manner that generates a *reasonable* return on the investment involved.
    >>
    >> Telecom does not exist in isolation. It provides an essential utility to
    >> our community.

    > No, *maximum* return. Any less than maximum is not acceptable to
    > shareholders.

    Why no maximum return?

    The maximum return possible for an essential utility should be
    "reasonable" in the eyes of the community at large - and no more - because
    of the role that essential utility plays in the life of our country.

    A Nice Cup of Tea

    --
    Buffer overflow attacks. By flooding a program with too much data, a hacker
    can track and manipulate the overflow and trick the system into following his

    A Nice Cup of Tea, Feb 13, 2006
  19. Fred Dagg

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>, says...

    > That 200Mb cap plan looks real attractive - why would you even bother
    > with broadband if you are only using that much data?

    Got it in one. I'm not going to bother with broadband, because dialup
    can still give me that with no excess data charges. I don't get many
    incoming calls on my phone line, and a $100 box with call waiting
    service tells me when someone is calling and disconnects the modem
    automatically. With a download manager you can then resume the download
    as soon as the connection can be restored.

    What would be worthwhile is a $29.95 plan with at least 500 MB and no
    excess data charge, going down to 64K over the cap, 256K.

    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006
  20. Fred Dagg

    Rob J Guest

    In article <43eff59e$>, says...
    > -=rjh=- wrote:
    > > Fred Dagg wrote:
    > >> Finally Telecom are allowing a ADSL plan with a reasonable upload
    > >> speed, to be ready by April 1st:
    > >>
    > >> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/NL/0A43C597ACCCD7B6CC25711000701FA4

    > > When I saw the discussion here, I immediately thought - Orcon will be
    > > all over this, bugger.
    > >
    > > Go to the article, 4th paragraph is about Orcon

    > Oops, article I was referring to was not the one above, it was
    > http://aardvark.co.nz/, my bad. Comments still stand, though.

    Is Orcon a big company or a small company?

    These legal cases must cost a fair amount of money, so far only the big
    players like Telstra have been game.

    If you're Orcon, you must be faced with two options:
    - Go with Telecom and sell cheap broadband to your customers
    - Go for legal action and have to recover the costs of such action in
    higher prices.

    Rob J, Feb 13, 2006