    rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)
    y_p_w, Jan 29, 2004

  2. y_p_w

    Robertwgross Guest

    I wouldn't put much faith in it.

    What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross, Jan 29, 2004

  3. y_p_w

    Ron Hunter Guest

    y_p_w wrote:

    > http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
    >
    > Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
    > has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
    > standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
    > they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
    > single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
    > rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 29, 2004
  4. On 29 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0800, (y_p_w) wrote:

    >Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    >name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)

    Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Starion. Obviously it was supposed to be
    "Stallion" given their other cars were called "Colt", "Pony" and so
    on, but it's not difficult to imagine some Japanese exec proudly
    announcing the new car's name to some drone at the badge manufacturer
    in a thick accent...

    Andy
    Andy Blanchard, Jan 30, 2004
  5. y_p_w

    Linda_N Guest

    "Robertwgross" <> wrote in message

    > What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

    A highway frizbee?

    *chuckle*

    Linda.
    Linda_N, Jan 30, 2004
  6. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > y_p_w wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
    > >
    > > Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
    > > has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
    > > standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
    > > they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
    > > single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
    > > rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    > Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

    I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the math
    regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
    that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
    demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
    high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
    NiMH rechargeables.
    y_p_w, Jan 30, 2004
  7. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    (Robertwgross) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I wouldn't put much faith in it.

    Well - it might be good as a backup, or useful for situations where
    the opportunity to charge batteries doesn't exist.

    > What is an 18.5 kg car, anyway?

    A go-kart.
    y_p_w, Jan 30, 2004
  8. y_p_w

    Ron Hunter Guest

    y_p_w wrote:

    > Ron Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>y_p_w wrote:
    >>

    >>>http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
    >>>
    >>>Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
    >>>has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
    >>>standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
    >>>they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
    >>>single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
    >>>rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    >>Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

    > I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the math
    > regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
    > that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
    > demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
    > high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
    > NiMH rechargeables.

    Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
    same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many pictures
    would COST with alkalines....
    Ron Hunter, Jan 30, 2004
  9. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > y_p_w wrote:
    >
    >> Ron Hunter <> wrote in message

    >>> Be sure to tell them they are WRONG. Badly, and expensively, wrong.

    >> I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the
    >> math
    >> regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
    >> that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for less
    >> demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
    >> high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
    >> NiMH rechargeables.

    > Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
    > same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many pictures
    > would COST with alkalines....

    Sure. Some actually acknowledged that the rechargeables cost less in
    the long run, but insisted that alkalines last longer than fully
    charged NiMH batteries, and that was important to them.

    We all know that alkalines just aren't very efficient for anything
    that will drain them in about 4-6 hours (or less), or that has
    extremely high momentary current demands.
    y_p_w, Jan 30, 2004
  10. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Andy Blanchard wrote:

    > On 29 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0800, (y_p_w) wrote:
    >

    >>Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    >>name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)

    > Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Starion. Obviously it was supposed to be
    > "Stallion" given their other cars were called "Colt", "Pony" and so
    > on, but it's not difficult to imagine some Japanese exec proudly
    > announcing the new car's name to some drone at the badge manufacturer
    > in a thick accent...

    I'm sorry. The one that takes the cake is "Game Boy". There's just
    something mildly disturbing about that name.
    y_p_w, Jan 30, 2004
  11. y_p_w

    Charlie Self Guest

    y_p_wy_p responds:

    >>>Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    >>>name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)

    >> Reminds me of the Mitsubishi Starion. Obviously it was supposed to be
    >> "Stallion" given their other cars were called "Colt", "Pony" and so
    >> on, but it's not difficult to imagine some Japanese exec proudly
    >> announcing the new car's name to some drone at the badge manufacturer
    >> in a thick accent...

    >I'm sorry. The one that takes the cake is "Game Boy". There's just
    >something mildly disturbing about that name.

    Oh, I dunno. Back in the early '70s, Honda came out with the Prelude. This was
    at the peak of the popularity of a vibrator, you guess the shape, greatly
    beloved by feminists. Its name: Prelude.

    Charlie Self
    "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is
    sure."
    Mark Twain
    Charlie Self, Jan 30, 2004
  12. y_p_w

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    y_p_w wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> y_p_w wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ron Hunter <> wrote in message

    >>> I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the
    >>> math
    >>> regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
    >>> that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for
    >>> less
    >>> demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
    >>> high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
    >>> NiMH rechargeables.

    >> Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
    >> same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many
    >> pictures would COST with alkalines....

    > Sure. Some actually acknowledged that the rechargeables cost less in
    > the long run, but insisted that alkalines last longer than fully
    > charged NiMH batteries, and that was important to them.
    >
    > We all know that alkalines just aren't very efficient for anything
    > that will drain them in about 4-6 hours (or less), or that has
    > extremely high momentary current demands.

    Just an aside... if you do have to use alkalines in a pinch
    for whatever reason...

    Don't toss them out when the cameras says they're done; there's
    plenty left for devices that don't require low impedance
    cells.

    Use the rest up in the kids toys or whatever. :)

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 30, 2004
  13. "y_p_w" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
    >
    > Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
    > has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
    > standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
    > they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
    > single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
    > rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    If you want long-lasting batteries, and cost per shot isn't important,
    non-rechargable lithium batteries are excellent.

    Marvin Margoshes, Jan 30, 2004
  14. y_p_w

    Donald Gray Guest

    On 29 Jan 2004 14:08:07 -0800, (y_p_w) wrote:

    >http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018

    []
    >Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    >name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)

    Bad translation reminds me of the one I came across on a SOny
    wallwart:

    "Do not short the output wires or else it will cause fatal damage to
    the fuse."

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk
    Donald Gray, Jan 30, 2004
  15. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 16:58:56 GMT, Ken Weitzel hath writ:
    > Hi...
    >
    > Just an aside... if you do have to use alkalines in a pinch
    > for whatever reason...
    > Don't toss them out when the cameras says they're done; there's
    > plenty left for devices that don't require low impedance cells.
    > Use the rest up in the kids toys or whatever. :)

    Yes! They'll run those wall-mounted clock movements for another
    year or more! They'll serve for many months in a TV remote control.
    Tho', I no longer even try to use alkalines in my digital camera(s)
    anymore.

    Jonesy
    Allodoxaphobia, Jan 30, 2004
  16. y_p_w

    y_p_w Guest

    Ken Weitzel <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi...
    >
    > y_p_w wrote:
    > >

    > > Ron Hunter wrote:

    > >> Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
    > >> same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many
    > >> pictures would COST with alkalines....

    > > Sure. Some actually acknowledged that the rechargeables cost less in
    > > the long run, but insisted that alkalines last longer than fully
    > > charged NiMH batteries, and that was important to them.
    > >
    > > We all know that alkalines just aren't very efficient for anything
    > > that will drain them in about 4-6 hours (or less), or that has
    > > extremely high momentary current demands.

    > Just an aside... if you do have to use alkalines in a pinch
    > for whatever reason...
    >
    > Don't toss them out when the cameras says they're done; there's
    > plenty left for devices that don't require low impedance
    > cells.
    >
    > Use the rest up in the kids toys or whatever. :)
    >
    > Take care.

    Sure. I've got a multimeter I can use to figure out the voltage.
    I sometimes use alkaline AAs (as a backup) in a 3-cell Sony LCD
    TV. By the time the backlight dies, they have an open circuit
    voltage of about 1.3V, and still can easily power my 3-cell
    Grundig FR200 radio (the one with the hand crank) for maybe 20
    hours.
    y_p_w, Jan 30, 2004
  17. y_p_w

    Ron Hunter Guest

    y_p_w wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >> y_p_w wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ron Hunter <> wrote in message

    >>> I've tried. I'm an electrical engineer and I understand why, but the
    >>> math
    >>> regarding low impedance loads and battery internal resistance isn't all
    >>> that difficult. However - it is true (alkalines lasting longer) for
    >>> less
    >>> demanding loads, and too many people don't quite understand that the
    >>> high current requirement when you snap a picture is better served with
    >>> NiMH rechargeables.

    >> Maybe if you tell him that I have taken about 1500 pictures with the
    >> same set of NIMH batteries and then ask him how much that many
    >> pictures would COST with alkalines....

    > Sure. Some actually acknowledged that the rechargeables cost less in
    > the long run, but insisted that alkalines last longer than fully
    > charged NiMH batteries, and that was important to them.
    >
    > We all know that alkalines just aren't very efficient for anything
    > that will drain them in about 4-6 hours (or less), or that has
    > extremely high momentary current demands.

    He might be right, IF he takes one picture each week for 4 months. At
    the end of that time, the alkaline would probably still work, and the
    NIMH would have discharged. However, in a few more months, the alkaline
    would be in the landfill, and the NIMH would be still taking pictures.
    Some people are a bit short-sighted.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2004
  18. y_p_w

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Marvin Margoshes wrote:

    > "y_p_w" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>http://www.eet.com/sys/news/OEG20040129S0018
    >>
    >>Matsushita calls it the "Oxyride dry cell battery". Supposedly
    >>has 1.5 to 2 times the performance of alkalines (doesn't say
    >>standard or the newer alkalines). It still doesn't sound as if
    >>they outperform NiMH cells, but I've known people who insist on
    >>single-use alkaline because they think they'll last longer than
    >>rechargeables in their digital cameras.

    > If you want long-lasting batteries, and cost per shot isn't important,
    > non-rechargable lithium batteries are excellent.
    >

    >>Panasonic Oxyride? There's just something strange about that
    >>name. Maybe it's just a bad translation from the Japanese. :)

    Absolutely. The perfect backup battery.
    Ron Hunter, Jan 31, 2004