    Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
    the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    No specs yet.. just pics

    Shane, Mar 9, 2006

  2. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6046778-1.html?tag=nl.e589
    > This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
    > touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
    > desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.
    >
    > I want one!!!!
    > (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger) but it runs (as Ive quoted
    > above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as well(as its an
    > x86 proc)
    > Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load
    > (albeit I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
    >

    > Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
    > the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    > No specs yet.. just pics

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6045150.html
    Further links show whos behind it... new move to hardware?
    Still, new toy.. new toy!

    Shane, Mar 9, 2006

  3. Shane

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6046778-1.html?tag=nl.e589
    > This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a
    > 7-inch touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full
    > versions of desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from
    > Origami.
    >
    > I want one!!!!
    > (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger) but it runs (as Ive
    > quoted above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as
    > well(as its an x86 proc)
    > Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load
    > (albeit I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
    >

    > Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live
    > up to the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    > No specs yet.. just pics

    I like OQO:
    http://www.oqo.com/hardware/basics/

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 9, 2006
  4. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6046778-1.html?tag=nl.e589
    > This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
    > touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
    > desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.
    >
    > I want one!!!!

    So do I, but it will be far too expensive.

    > (Its the size of a palm pilot (ok a bit bigger)

    Try - a *lot* bigger?

    but it runs (as Ive quoted
    > above) a "full" OS, presumably this means linux and BSD as well(as its an
    > x86 proc)
    > Which pretty much means its going to lighten the road warriors load (albeit
    > I'll bet there will be half a tonne of batteries stored away)
    >

    > Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
    > the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    > No specs yet.. just pics

    Looks very similar to the Pepperpad in many ways.

    All the speculation I've seen is that this will retail in the US at
    about $800. That is too high for this to see widespread use; it will be
    just like tablets - too expensive for the average domestic user, so
    restricted to businesses that can justify or afford it, and competing
    directly with subnotebooks.

    Also, size does matter, although where the sweet spot lies depends on
    how people will use the device. Nokia have by some accounts had an
    unexpected hit with their 770, which has a 4" screen (800x480) but
    retails at ~$350 US. That is a lot smaller, a lot lighter, but also a
    lot cheaper.

    At paperback size, Origami is too big; I want something pocketable, and
    I'll live with the disadvantages. I'm not even sure I want it to be
    running an interface that even slightly resembles a desktop interface,
    either. I've been using handheld devices for years, and this does look
    good - hopefully it will be a success, but I'm doubtful it will be given
    the information available so far.

    =============

    BTW, thought I'd try MS live.search, and Origami doesn't feature
    anywhere in the first heap of entries; in fact origami porn features
    higher, I didn't really want to know such a thing existed :)

    -=rjh=-, Mar 9, 2006
  5. Shane

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <duo31a$plg$>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
    >the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    >No specs yet.. just pics

    No real use to a road warrior, you can't do serious data entry on it in the
    hotel room in the evenings (reports, spreadsheets). A slim/small pocketable
    PDA or PDA/phone that wouldn't spoil the cut of my suit could handle
    appointments, contacts etc, maybe wirelessly linked to a machine with a real
    keyboard tucked away in my portfolio. There are plenty of suitable PDAs
    around, but what is available for the other machine?

    I'd need:

    - small and light weight (1 Kg or less.)
    - long battery life (at least 12 to 16 hours).
    - a usable keyboard (at least 90% of full size).
    - built-in modem, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, IR.
    - VGA output to show presentations on the customer's projector.
    - ability to run the same apps as I do in the office.
    - PDA style instant on-off (no booting or shutdown).

    Any suggestions?

    Oh wait, I already have one. Granted, the Ethernet and WiFi have to share
    the single PCMCIA slot.
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/museum/personalsystems/0038/

    (HP Jornada 820)

    Just one problem - it was made in 1999. I hope someone comes up with a
    usable replacement before it dies. Too many products, like the prototypes we
    are discussing, are solutions in search of a problem. A modern technology
    version of the Jornada would be a killer machine for me.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Mar 9, 2006
  6. Shane wrote:
    > Shane wrote:
    >
    > > http://news.zdnet.com/2300-9584_22-6046778-1.html?tag=nl.e589
    > > This prototype mobile PC, about the size of a paperback book, has a 7-inch
    > > touch screen and standard x86 processors. It can run full versions of
    > > desktop operating systems beyond the XP variant from Origami.

    Some more links

    A new Mobile PC form factor. Full Windows functionality with an
    enhanced touch screen, pen and keyboard input. UMPCs combine the power
    of the Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition operating system and
    other innovative new technologies from Microsoft and its partners,
    making them more mobile and simpler to use than previous mobile
    computers. For example, the new, pre-installed Microsoft Touch Pack for
    Windows XP software optimizes the touch screen user interface for UMPCs
    to simplify navigation and ease-of-use while on the go. The Touch
    Pack's customizable Program Launcher organizes software programs into
    categories, and uses large buttons and icons to make it easy to find
    and open your favorite applications. The Touch Pack also includes a
    thumb-based, on-screen keyboard that's touch-optimized for easy text
    input. It also helps improve a user's portable media experience with
    the inclusion of the new Brilliant Black for Windows Media Player skin.
    Touch Pack software also helps keep you entertained with the
    introduction of Microsoft Sudoku, a highly entertaining touch and ink
    enabled game. While the first generation of UMPCs will run Windows XP
    Tablet PC Edition 2005, future models will run on Windows Vista.

    http://www.microsoft.com/umpc

    http://www.origamiproject.com/3/

    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2006/mar06/03-09Mobile.mspx

    http://www.intel.com/design/mobile/platform/umpc.htm

    Lastly, Otto Berkes - Origami's Architect gives first look at
    Ultramobile PCs: http://channel9.msdn.com/showpost.aspx?postid=169962

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 9, 2006
  7. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Don Hills wrote:

    > In article <duo31a$plg$>,
    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >>
    >>Who cares.. no more lugging damn notebooks around (ok.. it wont live up to
    >>the hype, but Im allowed to dream aint I )
    >>No specs yet.. just pics

    > No real use to a road warrior, you can't do serious data entry on it in
    > the hotel room in the evenings (reports, spreadsheets). A slim/small
    > pocketable PDA or PDA/phone that wouldn't spoil the cut of my suit could
    > handle appointments, contacts etc, maybe wirelessly linked to a machine
    > with a real keyboard tucked away in my portfolio. There are plenty of
    > suitable PDAs around, but what is available for the other machine?
    >
    > I'd need:
    >
    > - small and light weight (1 Kg or less.)
    > - long battery life (at least 12 to 16 hours).
    > - a usable keyboard (at least 90% of full size).
    > - built-in modem, Wi-Fi, Ethernet, USB, IR.
    > - VGA output to show presentations on the customer's projector.
    > - ability to run the same apps as I do in the office.
    > - PDA style instant on-off (no booting or shutdown).

    apparently it has all above features (add a choice between bluetooth and
    wifi)
    One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Oh wait, I already have one. Granted, the Ethernet and WiFi have to share
    > the single PCMCIA slot.
    > http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/museum/personalsystems/0038/
    >
    > (HP Jornada 820)
    >
    > Just one problem - it was made in 1999. I hope someone comes up with a
    > usable replacement before it dies. Too many products, like the prototypes
    > we are discussing, are solutions in search of a problem. A modern
    > technology version of the Jornada would be a killer machine for me.

    Kind of lost the new toy smell then :p

    Shane, Mar 9, 2006
  8. Shane

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <duq151$eov$>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

    Yeah, it's the keyboard that's the killer. PDAs and the prototypes under
    discussion are assymetrical, in that they do output much better than they do
    input.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Mar 9, 2006
  9. Shane

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <duq151$eov$>,
    > Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:
    >> One of the offerings does have a KB although it looks clunky

    > Yeah, it's the keyboard that's the killer. PDAs and the prototypes under
    > discussion are assymetrical, in that they do output much better than they do
    > input.

    Is the asymmetry necessarily bad? Maybe a device like Origami works 90%
    of the time doing media and other output, for the other 10% you either
    use an onscreen keyboard or a 3rd party cradle (or wallet) that includes
    BT or IR keyboard.

    That way you get less complexity and smaller size and lower cost for the
    intended users of the device.

    Works well with my PDAs, the limitations are actually more to do with
    screen real estate (which shouldn't be a problem with the Origami
    devices) and getting the data off the PDA.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 10, 2006
  10. Shane

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <4410ee8a$>, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Is the asymmetry necessarily bad? Maybe a device like Origami works 90%
    >of the time doing media and other output, for the other 10% you either
    >use an onscreen keyboard or a 3rd party cradle (or wallet) that includes
    >BT or IR keyboard.
    >
    >That way you get less complexity and smaller size and lower cost for the
    >intended users of the device.
    >
    >Works well with my PDAs, the limitations are actually more to do with
    >screen real estate (which shouldn't be a problem with the Origami
    >devices) and getting the data off the PDA.

    I specifically pointed out that a "two box" approach suits me - a readily
    portable PDA for mainly output work, and a more conventional box with
    keyboard and larger screen (but still very small) for input and additonal
    capabilities. That would avoid the current trend of trying to cram every
    feature into the PDA, which has led to some pretty bulky PDAs (such as the
    prototypes under discussion) which I would relegate to my portfolio instead
    of my pocket. And if it's going to be in my portfolio, it may as well be big
    enough to have a real keyboard.

    (Portfolio = leather folder, smaller than A4 size, big enough to hold a
    notepad, business cards etc. Like a large Filofax.)

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Mar 10, 2006