New TOS - yet another reason to hate AOL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.gov, Mar 14, 2005.

  1. Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:22:05 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
    <> wrote:

    |> AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows
    |> http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1775649,00.asp
    |>
    |> America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
    |> instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
    |> the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.

    Follow up:
    http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/05/03/14/0138215.shtml?tid=158&tid=120&tid=215&tid=95&tid=17
    or
    http://tinyurl.com/4shaw

    --

    , Mar 14, 2005

  2. Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 12:34:37 -0800, "FatBobRoundPants"
    <> wrote:

    |> The original article I posted the link for - is PREFACED by an update due to
    |> AOL's reply to that news story... however the basis of the first article
    |> remains unchanged by AOL's reply. IMHO

    Ya, I didn't even read the link, I've been using it as a sig for the
    last few days :) - so miss'd the preface.

    Might wanna to fix your clock

    --

    , Mar 14, 2005

  3. Steve P Guest

    Check your PC is set to the correct timezone?

    Steve P, Mar 14, 2005
  4. AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows

    America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
    instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
    the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.

    The revamped terms of service, which apply only to users who downloaded the
    free AIM software on or after Feb. 5, 2004, gives AOL the right to
    "reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote" all content
    distributed across the chat network by users.

    "You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve
    uses of the content or to be compensated for any such uses," according to
    the AIM terms-of-service

    Just FYI
    bOb

    FatBobRoundPants, Mar 14, 2005
  5. The original article I posted the link for - is PREFACED by an update due to

    FatBobRoundPants, Mar 14, 2005
  6. SgtMinor Guest

    FatBobRoundPants wrote:
    > AOL's Terms of Service Update for AIM Raises Eyebrows
    >
    > America Online, Inc. has quietly updated the terms of service for its AIM
    > instant messaging application, making several changes that is sure to raise
    > the hackles of Internet privacy advocates.
    >
    > The revamped terms of service, which apply only to users who downloaded the
    > free AIM software on or after Feb. 5, 2004, gives AOL the right to
    > "reproduce, display, perform, distribute, adapt and promote" all content
    > distributed across the chat network by users.
    >
    > "You waive any right to privacy. You waive any right to inspect or approve
    > uses of the content or to be compensated for any such uses," according to
    > the AIM terms-of-service
    >

    > Just FYI
    > bOb

    Cheese and rice, man, it's AOL. I wonder how many people are upset
    about this yet blithely install Microsoft crap like Media Player without
    reading the EULA.

    BTW, is this your website: http://www.sothere.com/ ?

    SgtMinor, Mar 14, 2005
  7. My pc clock was behind about 3 min, updated to be ahead about 90 sec. This
    pc always had slightly slow clock, I adjust about every two-three months. I
    know my posts show up at odd times. I wrote comcast and giganews over a week
    ago, they gave me ticket numbers, but I guess it is when they get around to
    it.

    FatBobRoundPants, Mar 14, 2005
  8. Dave Lear Guest

    Dave Lear, Mar 14, 2005
  9. Guest

    On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:47:39 -0500, SgtMinor
    <> wrote:

    |> Cheese and rice, man, it's AOL. I wonder how many people are upset
    |> about this yet blithely install Microsoft crap like Media Player without
    |> reading the EULA.

    "Is anyone reading this? PC Pitstop offered a financial incentive in its
    EULA, and it took four months before anyone responded."
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/eula.asp

    Guy won a thousand bucks just reading a EULA, proving somebody reads em
    :)

    --

    , Mar 14, 2005
  10. Wizard Guest

    Dave Lear <> wrote:

    > munging etiquette

    Munging etiquette? BWAHAHAHAHHAHA! Do you make this fucking shit up just so
    you can see your name in the newsgroup, you fucking ****?

    Wizard, Mar 14, 2005
  11. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:47:39 -0500, SgtMinor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > |> Cheese and rice, man, it's AOL. I wonder how many people are upset
    > |> about this yet blithely install Microsoft crap like Media Player without
    > |> reading the EULA.
    >

    > "Is anyone reading this? PC Pitstop offered a financial incentive in its
    > EULA, and it took four months before anyone responded."
    > http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/eula.asp
    >
    > Guy won a thousand bucks just reading a EULA, proving somebody reads em
    > :)

    Good story. But still, there may have been many people who read this
    offer and saw it as just another come-on. I can't count the number of
    times I've seen pop ups or pages declaring me a winner.

    Privacy is a myth.

    SgtMinor, Mar 15, 2005
  12. Frankin Guest

    You and everyone on the plant :)

    Frankin, Mar 15, 2005
  13. Dave Lear Guest

    "Wizard" wrote in message news:

    > SNIP <

    I claim my five pounds.

    --
    Cross-posting removed in this reply.

    Dave Lear, Mar 15, 2005
  14. Wizard Guest

    Dave Lear <> wrote:
    > "Wizard" wrote in message
    >> SNIP <

    > I claim my five pounds.

    It's your lucky day, tardfuck. I just happen to have a five pound
    sledgehammer right here. Take your wig off.

    Wizard, Mar 15, 2005
  15. Evan Platt Guest

    http://www.snopes.com/computer/internet/aim.asp

    Evan Platt, Mar 15, 2005