    not have a wireless adapter, so it needs to remain wired to the modem. Can I
    just plug the router into an open port on the modem? I need some guidance
    here. Thanks in advance.

    =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=, Feb 12, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    "kpeercy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I currently have a desktop PC connected to a Westell DSL modem w/ service
    > from Bellsouth. I have acquired a wireless router and have a laptop w/ a
    > built in network card. I'm not sure how to set this up. The desktop does
    > not have a wireless adapter, so it needs to remain wired to the modem.
    > Can I
    > just plug the router into an open port on the modem? I need some guidance
    > here. Thanks in advance.

    Plug the desktop and the modem into two separate ports on the router.

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    kpeercy wrote:
    > I currently have a desktop PC connected to a Westell DSL modem w/ service
    > from Bellsouth. I have acquired a wireless router and have a laptop w/ a
    > built in network card. I'm not sure how to set this up. The desktop does
    > not have a wireless adapter, so it needs to remain wired to the modem. Can I
    > just plug the router into an open port on the modem? I need some guidance
    > here. Thanks in advance.

    If you have more than one port on the MODEM, then it's likely that your
    "Westell DSL modem" is a combination modem/router. You can connect your
    new wireless router, but it must be configured properly for this situation.

    In the typical system, there is one port on the modem, which is
    connected by Ethernet to the WAN (or Internet) port on the router.
    Almost every SOHO wireless router includes 4 ports in addition to its
    WAN port, and you can connect any non-wireless computers here. The
    router distributes (routes) the traffic to and from the Internet among
    all the computers connected to the router; it doesn't matter if they are
    connected to the router via wire or wireless.

    If you need more help, please include the model of both your modem and
    your new router.

    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Feb 12, 2007
  4. "kpeercy" wrote:

    > I currently have a desktop PC connected to a Westell DSL modem w/ service
    > from Bellsouth. I have acquired a wireless router and have a laptop w/ a
    > built in network card. I'm not sure how to set this up. The desktop does
    > not have a wireless adapter, so it needs to remain wired to the modem. Can I
    > just plug the router into an open port on the modem? I need some guidance
    > here. Thanks in advance.

    No, Follow these steps:
    - Power the Modem Down and unplug the PC from the Modem
    - Connect the Router to the Modem on the WAN Port
    - Plug the Ethernet Cable which came with the Router (Yellow) to one of
    the Router LAN ports then the other End of the Cable to the PC Desktop NIC
    Ethernet port.
    - Power the Modem, then the Router, then the PC and Open your IE browser
    and type in the IP address for your Router which in like this 192.168.x.x
    where the X is the specs for your Router make ( for ex Belkin 192.168.2.1 )
    Hit Enter to bring up the Router Configuration web interface and run the
    Wizard.
    You can run the Wizard from the CD came with your Router if it does and also
    read the PDF on how to set up the Connection.
    After finishing set up the PC Desktop the Laptop should be easy to set up
    and configure ( by enabling the wireless on the Router and create WPA-PSK
    encryption Key to secure your Wireless network connection).

    Here are some links as example on how to set wireless connection go through
    them to get an idea.
    Set up a wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx
    4 steps to set up your home wireless network
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

    HTH.
    Let us know.
    Regards,
    nass

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Feb 12, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    "nass" <> wrote in message
    > - Plug the Ethernet Cable which came with the Router (Yellow)

    How do you know it's yellow? Mine came with a BLACK cable.....

    Gordon, Feb 12, 2007
  6. "Gordon" wrote:

    > "nass" <> wrote in message
    > > - Plug the Ethernet Cable which came with the Router (Yellow)

    > How do you know it's yellow? Mine came with a BLACK cable.....

    The general color coding is Yellow, I have it Gray here, it depends.

    nass
    --------
    www.nasstec.co.uk

    =?Utf-8?B?bmFzcw==?=, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Hi
    Pictures sometimes makes it easier, http://www.ezlan.net/netwrok/router.jpg
    As for the actual setting of each unit follow the manuals of the devices as
    a first step.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 12, 2007
  8. Hi, sorry to jump in here but I was just wondering about the printer itself.
    would I just plug that into one of the router ports as well and configure it
    via the wizard?

    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 13, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    "ThomasP" <ThomasP @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, sorry to jump in here but I was just wondering about the printer
    > itself.
    > would I just plug that into one of the router ports as well and configure
    > it
    > via the wizard?

    Only if the printer is a network-enabled printer - ie if it has either a
    built-in Ethernet card, or your Rouiter is a print server as well, or you
    have another print server to plug in.

    Gordon, Feb 13, 2007
  10. Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
    One more quick question, could I go into my printers settings and see if it
    is networked-enabled there? I have a Lexmar Z28 and it is less than 2 years
    old. I too am looking to set up a wireless network at home soon, so I was
    just wondering about making the printer accesable as well. I currently have
    a Dell PC w/ WindowsXP SP2 loaded and one DSL modem with the one Lexmar
    printer connected to the desktop all of which I got at the same time. Soon I
    want to add a laptop and set everything up on a wireless network for my home.

    thanks again

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 13, 2007
  11. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    "ThomasP" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
    > One more quick question, could I go into my printers settings and see if
    > it
    > is networked-enabled there? I have a Lexmar Z28 and it is less than 2
    > years
    > old. I too am looking to set up a wireless network at home soon, so I was
    > just wondering about making the printer accesable as well. I currently
    > have
    > a Dell PC w/ WindowsXP SP2 loaded and one DSL modem with the one Lexmar
    > printer connected to the desktop all of which I got at the same time.
    > Soon I
    > want to add a laptop and set everything up on a wireless network for my
    > home.
    >
    > thanks again

    If it has an ethernet card then it will have a LAN port. I suspect not. You
    can get a Dlink pocket print server that plugs into the parallel port on the
    printer itself and than connects via a patch cable to the hub, switch or
    router.

    http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/62765

    Gordon, Feb 13, 2007
  12. Hey thanks Gordon. That helps a lot. I am at work right now but I will
    definately check it out later. Thanks for the link to the D-Link also. I
    will add that to my list for the future.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 13, 2007
  13. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "ThomasP" <> wrote in message
    >> Thanks for the reply. That makes sense.
    >> One more quick question, could I go into my printers settings and see if
    >> it
    >> is networked-enabled there? I have a Lexmar Z28 and it is less than 2
    >> years
    >> old. I too am looking to set up a wireless network at home soon, so I was
    >> just wondering about making the printer accesable as well. I currently
    >> have
    >> a Dell PC w/ WindowsXP SP2 loaded and one DSL modem with the one Lexmar
    >> printer connected to the desktop all of which I got at the same time.
    >> Soon I
    >> want to add a laptop and set everything up on a wireless network for my
    >> home.
    >>
    >> thanks again
    >>

    > If it has an ethernet card then it will have a LAN port. I suspect not. You
    > can get a Dlink pocket print server that plugs into the parallel port on the
    > printer itself and than connects via a patch cable to the hub, switch or
    > router.
    >
    > http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/62765

    ThomasP,

    Watch out. The DLink print server Gorden linked to is for a _parallel_
    printer connection. I can't find any info about a Z28 on the Lexmark
    site, but if it is a 2 year-old inexpensive color inkjet printer, it
    probably only has a USB connection.

    Also, that print server requires a _wired_ Ethernet connection to your
    router.

    So, assuming that the Z28 only has a USB connector, if you want to make
    it a "network printer" (that is, connect it to your network _without_
    connecting it to a computer), you have two choices: a wired USB print
    server or a wireless USB print server.

    For example only:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1612728&CatId=206
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2073458&CatId=371

    However, if it were me, rather than paying a fairly substantial amount
    for a print server to connect the Z28, I'd seriously consider buying the
    hp 6980. This printer has built-in wireless and wired print servers.
    That is, you can connect it to your router with an Ethernet cable; you
    can connect it to your wireless network; or you can just connect it
    directly to a computer with USB.
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/18972-18972-236251-14438-3328073-468002.html

    I have 2 of an earlier version of this printer, and they were extremely
    easy to set up as wireless printers and work quite well. The only
    catch, as with most inkjet printers, is they go through ink at a rapid
    rate and genuine hp ink cartridges are not cheap (but then again,
    neither are genuine Lexmark cartridges).
    --
    Lem MS MVP -- Networking

    Lem, Feb 13, 2007
  14. Hi
    I think that the Z28 is All in One, if it is Not Network Ready it does not
    make sense to make it Network Printer.

    The Printer Server arena is not a simple one.
    Read this before you proceed.
    http://www.ezlan.net/prtserver.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 13, 2007
  15. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Gordon Guest

    "Lem" <> wrote in message

    > Watch out. The DLink print server Gorden linked to is for a _parallel_
    > printer connection.

    I did mention that!

    Gordon, Feb 14, 2007
  16. My apologies everyone. My printer is a Lexmark Z65:
    http://search.lexmark.com/printer/US/en/19D0800

    That’s what I get for guessing. Anyway thanks for the tips Lem. I’ll have
    to consider upgrading to another newer/better printer in the future. Until
    then I will just have to save any files on my laptop or over the net to the
    desktop and then bring it up later and print it from the desktop itself to
    the printer for now. A bit archaic but functional. : )

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 14, 2007
  17. After reading up on the HP network ready printer, I noticed that you still
    have to buy a wireless print adapter as noted under the “Footnotes†section.
    Is that similar in functionality as the wireless network adapters that are
    needed for a desktop and laptop? I am guessing so. I’m just curious because
    wireless networking is still somewhat new to me. Thanks again.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 14, 2007
  18. Wow, I just had another thought that I should have thought of earlier.
    Could'nt I just set up the printer as a share and then just link over to it
    from my laptop? The only thing I need to make sure of is to keep my
    desktop on since the printer is still attached to it.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFzUA==?=, Feb 14, 2007
  19. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > "Lem" <> wrote in message
    >> Watch out. The DLink print server Gorden linked to is for a _parallel_
    >> printer connection.

    > I did mention that!

    Yes, you did. I thought it was worth emphasizing and to give the OP a
    few more ideas.

    Lem, Feb 14, 2007
  20. =?Utf-8?B?a3BlZXJjeQ==?=

    Lem Guest

    ThomasP wrote:
    > Wow, I just had another thought that I should have thought of earlier.
    > Could'nt I just set up the printer as a share and then just link over to it
    > from my laptop? The only thing I need to make sure of is to keep my
    > desktop on since the printer is still attached to it.
    >
    > "ThomasP" wrote:
    >
    >> After reading up on the HP network ready printer, I noticed that you still
    >> have to buy a wireless print adapter as noted under the “Footnotes†section.
    >> Is that similar in functionality as the wireless network adapters that are
    >> needed for a desktop and laptop? I am guessing so. I’m just curious because
    >> wireless networking is still somewhat new to me. Thanks again.
    >>
    >> "ThomasP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> My apologies everyone. My printer is a Lexmark Z65:
    >>> http://search.lexmark.com/printer/US/en/19D0800
    >>>
    >>> That’s what I get for guessing. Anyway thanks for the tips Lem. I’ll have
    >>> to consider upgrading to another newer/better printer in the future. Until
    >>> then I will just have to save any files on my laptop or over the net to the
    >>> desktop and then bring it up later and print it from the desktop itself to
    >>> the printer for now. A bit archaic but functional. : )

    You're exactly correct. You can install the printer on any computer
    connected to the router and then share it to the other computers on your
    LAN. And as you noted, you will have to leave that computer turned on
    in order to be able to access the printer. The balance you have to make
    is cost vs. convenience.

    However, you didn't quire read the footnote correctly (hp gets bad marks
    for confusing terminology). What hp is trying to say is that if you
    want to "Easily print from your camera phone and PDA" via a Bluetooth
    connection, you will have to buy a Bluetooth wireless print adapter
    ("wireless" doesn't always mean what you think it does!). The printer
    definitely does come with a 802.11b/g wireless adapter built in.

    From the "Specifications" page:

    Connectivity, standard: Built-in Wi-Fi 802.11b or g, Ethernet, Universal
    Serial Bus, PictBridge

    Connectivity, optional: HP printer, PC adapter wth Bluetooth wireless
    technology

    Lem, Feb 14, 2007