New to Windoze XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by whoamI, Jul 5, 2003.

  1. whoamI

    whoamI Guest

    I just clean-installed Windoze XP on an AMD/Athlon 2.2G
    machine that I was sold on having a Bad-a-s graphics processor(Nvidia
    N-Force 2 chipset), blah, blah, blah.

    ISSUE 1! I can't get Windows Media Player to go Full-screen. The
    other players do it fine, and the latest Winamp plays video, so I can
    at least still play my MPEGS, but it is annoying that Media Player
    won't do under XP what it did in 98.

    ISSUE 2! eversince I first installed XP, I have gotten this message
    that looks like an MSN message, but is an ad for a pop-up-blocking
    service. It looks just like an MSN message, but I made sure that MSN
    was turned off. I then D/L'd Ad-Aware, then scanned my machine, which
    got rid of 10 items (and the machine was only 4 hours old... scary)
    Sure enough, the message came back. Anyone have any experience with
    this?

    It just happened again. It is an ad for MessageBuster.com. I
    cannot see any other programs running, is there a way to see all the
    things running on my computer at any given time?any help would be
    greatly appreciated. Thanks
    whoamI, Jul 5, 2003

  2. whoamI

    Unk Guest

    Mcploppy © answered part 2, and here are some additional links for that.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q302089
    http://www.clankiller.com/tech/WinXP/misctweaks.php
    http://www.lantalk.net/disable_messenger.php
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089

    "Shoot The Messenger" utility for Windows NT/2000/XP
    http://grc.com/stm/ShootTheMessenger.htm

    Disable/Enable/Remove Windows Messenger in XP

    As for the Windows Media Player problem:
    Uninstall it from the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs, and reinstall WMP.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/en/download/default.asp

    Unk

    Unk, Jul 5, 2003