    completed all my exams within the next 10 months. Just wanting to see if
    anyone has any suggestions or guidance that they can give me concerning the
    field.
    new2IT, Feb 22, 2008

  2. You will go as far as you want, with what you know. Certs are pieces of
    paper. Experience and know how are what gets you the job. You can have all
    the certs in your resume, but an IT interviewer will find out if you know
    what you are doing or not.

    Most employers wouldn't trust someone with an MCSE 2003 and 1 year of
    experience with their network. They will with someone with 15 years
    experience with no certs.

    Just plan on starting small and working your way up.

    This is all common sense stuff, but a lot of people don't get it ! :)

    --
    Dustin Harper

    http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page

    Dustin Harper, Feb 22, 2008

  3. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    I completely agree with you Dustin, which is why I am hoping that the
    internship will lead into a full time position so I can start building that
    experience. Problem with switching careers is that my resume looks great for
    sales but not having the experience in the networking field pretty much makes
    it impossible to get a job any other way than doing the internship and
    courses with New Horizons.

    new2IT, Feb 22, 2008
  4. "new2IT" <> wrote in message

    > I completely agree with you Dustin, which is why I am hoping that the
    > internship will lead into a full time position so I can start building that
    > experience. Problem with switching careers is that my resume looks great for
    > sales but not having the experience in the networking field pretty much makes
    > it impossible to get a job any other way than doing the internship and
    > courses with New Horizons.
    >
    > "Dustin Harper" wrote:
    >
    > > You will go as far as you want, with what you know. Certs are pieces of
    > > paper. Experience and know how are what gets you the job. You can have all
    > > the certs in your resume, but an IT interviewer will find out if you know
    > > what you are doing or not.
    > >
    > > Most employers wouldn't trust someone with an MCSE 2003 and 1 year of
    > > experience with their network. They will with someone with 15 years
    > > experience with no certs.
    > >
    > > Just plan on starting small and working your way up.
    > >
    > > This is all common sense stuff, but a lot of people don't get it ! :)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Dustin Harper
    > >
    > > http://www.VistaRIP.com | Vista Resource & Information Page
    > >

    > > "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am 34 years old and have decided to make a career change from sales
    > > > (which
    > > > I have been in for over 10 years). I have enjoyed working with computers
    > > > for
    > > > over 17 years and should of made this decision a long time ago. I am
    > > > taking
    > > > courses with a company called New Horizons to work toward my MCSE 2003
    > > > certs.
    > > > In this program I do get hands on experience and will be placed in an
    > > > internship within the next month. If everything goes well I will have
    > > > completed all my exams within the next 10 months. Just wanting to see if
    > > > anyone has any suggestions or guidance that they can give me concerning
    > > > the
    > > > field.

    I worked at New Horizons for many years in my past. I have taught many
    career changers and will be totally honest with you. Less than 5%
    currently have jobs in the I.T. field. Now understand, this was a number
    for my geographical area and the time that I worked there. The problem
    is that someone told them that I.T. was the field to make money in or
    that since they could change the background on a friend's mother's
    computer that they should look into a career in computers. Change
    occurs. Sacrifice begins. Frustration sets in. Back to the previous
    career they go. Now, the mother of all questions: Who's to blame?
    Certification vendors, I.T. instructors or the institution that educated
    you, the employers' who wouldn't hire you, your wife/girlfriend, your
    husband/boyfriend, your kids, lack of money, lack of experience (see
    employers), etc.. Everyone is to blame for your lack of success but you.
    People spend their whole lives "hoping" things will happen. If your
    hoping for something to happen, you didn't do enough to make it happen.
    Hoping is for the uncertain.

    Point being, if your determined this is what you want to do, then you
    will do it.
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 22, 2008
  5. new2IT

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:%...

    > I worked at New Horizons for many years in my past. I have taught many
    > career changers and will be totally honest with you. Less than 5%
    > currently have jobs in the I.T. field. Now understand, this was a number
    > for my geographical area and the time that I worked there. The problem is
    > that someone told them that I.T. was the field to make money in or that
    > since they could change the background on a friend's mother's computer
    > that they should look into a career in computers. Change occurs. Sacrifice
    > begins. Frustration sets in. Back to the previous career they go. Now, the
    > mother of all questions: Who's to blame? Certification vendors, I.T.
    > instructors or the institution that educated you, the employers' who
    > wouldn't hire you, your wife/girlfriend, your husband/boyfriend, your
    > kids, lack of money, lack of experience (see employers), etc.. Everyone is
    > to blame for your lack of success but you. People spend their whole lives
    > "hoping" things will happen. If your hoping for something to happen, you
    > didn't do enough to make it happen. Hoping is for the uncertain.
    >
    > Point being, if your determined this is what you want to do, then you will
    > do it.

    Just to put my two pennies worth in ...

    I'm one of the 5% of career changers (I was a legal secretary) who has
    managed to secure a job in the IT field.

    I'd just like to reiterate what Michael says - you do have to be very
    determined to do it, and also passionate about IT to succeed. You have to
    be the sort of person who likes to come out of your "comfort zone" once in a
    while and pick up a ticket in respect of a problem they know little about,
    in order to gain more knowledge and experience.

    You'll also more than likely have to take a drop in salary to gain that
    all-important first job and get the experience to enable you to apply for
    the better paid jobs.

    I'd also say that I was a little older than you (41) when I actually made
    the move into IT (though I'd been studying part-time for my degree for a
    few years before that!

    Just to let you know that it CAN be done, if you really want it badly
    enough!

    IT Girl MCDST

    Hope you're
    TheITGirl, Feb 22, 2008
  6. new2IT

    new2IT Guest

    Just want to thank you guys for your comments. I do want to say that I am
    very passionate about the IT field (have been for years was just to much of a
    coward to make a change). Will keep you all posted on my progress :)

    new2IT, Feb 22, 2008
  7. new2IT

    CBIC Guest

    "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    > Just want to thank you guys for your comments. I do want to say that I am
    > very passionate about the IT field

    Don't worry, that will wear off after a few years of dealing with clusers.
    You'll be left an empty shell only staying in IT for the money. Dreaming of
    the day you are debt free and can start your own custom motorcycle shop. No
    I'm not talking about myself. Shut up and leave me alone. You don't know me
    so stop judging me.
    CBIC, Feb 22, 2008
  8. new2IT

    John R Guest

    "CBIC" <> wrote in message

    > "new2IT" <> wrote in message
    >> Just want to thank you guys for your comments. I do want to say that I
    >> am
    >> very passionate about the IT field

    > Don't worry, that will wear off after a few years of dealing with clusers.
    > You'll be left an empty shell only staying in IT for the money. Dreaming
    > of the day you are debt free and can start your own custom motorcycle
    > shop. No I'm not talking about myself. Shut up and leave me alone. You
    > don't know me so stop judging me.

    Ain't it da truth. (Not the "Shut up" part, the part about it wearing off
    and the motorcycle shop).

    60 % of my job is reading log files, 20 % is making changes to the phone
    system, 15 % dealing with users who don't understand that they can't
    undelete a file from a network share, and the rest is actually working on
    good projects. I thought there was a lot more excitement going in.

    John R
    John R, Feb 22, 2008
  9. "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    > message news:%...
    > >
    > > I worked at New Horizons for many years in my past. I have taught many
    > > career changers and will be totally honest with you. Less than 5%
    > > currently have jobs in the I.T. field. Now understand, this was a number
    > > for my geographical area and the time that I worked there. The problem is
    > > that someone told them that I.T. was the field to make money in or that
    > > since they could change the background on a friend's mother's computer
    > > that they should look into a career in computers. Change occurs. Sacrifice
    > > begins. Frustration sets in. Back to the previous career they go. Now, the
    > > mother of all questions: Who's to blame? Certification vendors, I.T.
    > > instructors or the institution that educated you, the employers' who
    > > wouldn't hire you, your wife/girlfriend, your husband/boyfriend, your
    > > kids, lack of money, lack of experience (see employers), etc.. Everyone is
    > > to blame for your lack of success but you. People spend their whole lives
    > > "hoping" things will happen. If your hoping for something to happen, you
    > > didn't do enough to make it happen. Hoping is for the uncertain.
    > >
    > > Point being, if your determined this is what you want to do, then you will
    > > do it.
    > > --
    > > Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    > > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com/
    > >

    > Just to put my two pennies worth in ...
    >
    > I'm one of the 5% of career changers (I was a legal secretary) who has
    > managed to secure a job in the IT field.
    >
    > I'd just like to reiterate what Michael says - you do have to be very
    > determined to do it, and also passionate about IT to succeed. You have to
    > be the sort of person who likes to come out of your "comfort zone" once in a
    > while and pick up a ticket in respect of a problem they know little about,
    > in order to gain more knowledge and experience.
    >
    > You'll also more than likely have to take a drop in salary to gain that
    > all-important first job and get the experience to enable you to apply for
    > the better paid jobs.
    >
    > I'd also say that I was a little older than you (41) when I actually made
    > the move into IT (though I'd been studying part-time for my degree for a
    > few years before that!
    >
    > Just to let you know that it CAN be done, if you really want it badly
    > enough!
    >
    > IT Girl MCDST
    >
    > Hope you're

    First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 23, 2008
  10. new2IT

    Jtyc Guest

    > I do want to say that I am very passionate about the IT field

    you must have a thing for pain...
    Jtyc, Feb 23, 2008
  11. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:30:07 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    Inc.]" <> wrote:

    >First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)

    Duh, we invented the penny over a thousand years ago.
    PAJ, Feb 23, 2008
  12. "PAJ" <> wrote in message

    > On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:30:07 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    > Inc.]" <> wrote:
    >

    > >First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)

    > Duh, we invented the penny over a thousand years ago.

    So you all are to blame?!? Figures.

    "Abolish the Penny Campaign"

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 23, 2008
  13. new2IT

    PAJ Guest

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 16:06:25 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    Inc.]" <> wrote:

    >"PAJ" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 00:30:07 +0000, "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard,
    >> Inc.]" <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)

    >> Duh, we invented the penny over a thousand years ago.

    >So you all are to blame?!? Figures.

    We cannot take the full blame. A few Roman invaders made a small
    contribution.

    >"Abolish the Penny Campaign"

    Get rid of all the Judy's too.
    PAJ, Feb 23, 2008
  14. new2IT

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:uy1%...

    > First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)

    Sure we do! They don't buy you very much, but we do have them!

    IT Girl MCDST
    TheITGirl, Feb 23, 2008
  15. "TheITGirl" <> wrote in message

    > "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    > message news:uy1%...
    > >
    > > First off, do you even have pennies over there??? Just askin' ;)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Michael D. Alligood, MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    > > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com/
    > >

    > Sure we do! They don't buy you very much, but we do have them!
    >
    > IT Girl MCDST

    Yeah, but ours have President Lincoln on them.
    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Feb 23, 2008
  16. new2IT

    Dude Guest

    This is a great post. I once knew a Novell CNE who passed the exams but
    couldn't even configure a NIC or operate a screwdriver correctly. Then you
    get your Hot Shots that act like they know everything, but it's really just
    smoke and mirrors. I've been working in IT for 20 years now and I've seen it
    all. The good Admins will always find good jobs. The others will be the
    first to go when it's downsizing time. It's a long way to the top if you
    wanna rock and roll!

    Dude, Mar 8, 2008
  17. new2IT

    Neil Guest

    did you hear =?Utf-8?B?RHVkZQ==?= <> say in

    > operate a screwdriver correctly

    TMML

    - Shh! I have to use my incomplete, divided attention here.
    Neil, Mar 10, 2008