    buy and install wireless network cards? What about these new devices
    that use USB2 ? Thanks
    , Mar 1, 2006

  2. Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote:
    > I've been using dial-up for years and will soon be switching to DSL.
    > I will be using a wireless router for my computer and my son's
    > computer.
    > We both have Intel Pro 100M PCI NIC cards that we've never used. My
    > question is can we use these cards with "network adapters" or should we
    > buy and install wireless network cards? What about these new devices
    > that use USB2 ? Thanks

    IMHO, you'll want to stay away from anything USB as it's flaky. You want
    to keep a wire connection to back up the wireless as that is flaky at
    times too.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Mar 2, 2006

  3. Brian Guest

    If you are using a wireless hub/router etc, you need to use a wireless LAN
    card. If you want to use your "wired" LAN card then get a "wired" hub,
    router, etc...hope that answers your question
    Brian, Mar 5, 2006
  4. JM Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I've been using dial-up for years and will soon be switching to DSL.
    > I will be using a wireless router for my computer and my son's
    > computer.
    > We both have Intel Pro 100M PCI NIC cards that we've never used. My
    > question is can we use these cards with "network adapters" or should we
    > buy and install wireless network cards? What about these new devices
    > that use USB2 ? Thanks

    It all depends on how you want things to function. My "golden rule" for
    network connectivity is: Use wire where possible and wireless where
    [absolutely] necessary. Virtually all wireless routers have a built-in
    switch, which means they have ports on them that will support a direct cable
    connection to a NIC - such as your and your son's 100M PCI cards. If your
    computers are desktop machines, I would first try to get cables run to them
    from wherever the router will be placed [I do wiring as a part of my living,
    so I will be glad to assist you offline/via email]. Sometimes this is
    simple, while other times impossible or impractical. In most cases, in my
    experience, the DSL modem and router will be installed right next to one
    computer, while the other computer is in a different room or different floor
    and thus brings the challenges with wiring. In that case, I would install a
    wireless NIC in the "remote" computer, and use a wired connection for the
    "local" computer.

    In contrast to another poster, I have had good and bad luck with all types
    of wireless devices. In my experience, it's less about the interface type
    and more about the router, the software, and the specific environment.
    Personally, I would not shy away from a USB NIC for performance reasons, but
    rather I simply prefer for my components to be as small and/or
    out-of-the-way as possible. The less clutter and chance of being kicked,
    dropped, etc. . . the better.

    jm
    JM, Mar 8, 2006