New To Networking, HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 15, 2005.

  1. Hi all,
    just bought new Modem/Router but have run into config probs:
    The modem is a 'Sweex' Wireless ADSL Modem+Router+4 Port 10/100 Switch
    Annex-A .
    (Please enter[ cc400010UK ] in search bar at,
    WWW.SWEEX.COM
    for product Specs.)
    I'm using XP Pro SP2 on a desktop PC, which I intend to connect to the
    Modem/Router using ethernet.
    The laptop is wireless enabled with a MiniPCI WLAN 802.11g and OS is XP Home.
    I've followed the instructions as far as I can tell and changed the IP on
    the desktop to 10.0.0.2. The next instruction is to open the browser (IE) and
    enter 10.0.0.2 in the search bar. But the desktop won't open the browser.
    Error message says "Web
    page unavailable offline" and internet connection (Wannadoo) is telling me
    that there is "no dial tone" and to "make sure the modem is connected to the
    computer and telephone line."
    The ADSL (phone) line is plugged into the Router and Router is
    connected via ethernet to PC, so why won't it 'see' it. Could there be a
    vital 'Service' disabled? Am I right in thinking that my old USB Broadband
    Modem (supplied by ISP) is now redundant and the new Modem /Router should
    kick in and take over?
    Hope this info helps,
    TIA
    J.J.
    UK.
    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 15, 2005

  2. This router must have come with software, this software is 99% browser based.
    If you type the 10.0.02 address into your browser I assume its looking for
    config pages. From these pages you can set the properties and look at your
    connection details. Have you installed this software?

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVsbA==?=, Jan 15, 2005

  3. Hi,
    unfortunately the 'software consists of a copy of the manual on disc with
    nothing to install.
    > If you type the 10.0.02 address into your browser I assume its looking for
    > config pages. From these pages you can set the properties and look at your
    > connection details.

    That's correct but cannot get the browser to open/connect .

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 15, 2005
  4. How is this connected? Can you ping the router?

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVsbA==?=, Jan 16, 2005
  5. The PC is connected to the Modem/Router by ethernet cable, the phone line is
    connected via a microfilter to the Modem/Router's ADSL input. For specs on
    the Modem/Router, Please see www.sweex.com and enter CC400010UK in the search
    bar.
    Ping? Sorry I'm not that PC literate.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 16, 2005
  6. Ping results:
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

    Ping stats for 10.0.0.2:
    Packets: Sent=4, Recieved=4, Lost=0 (o% loss)
    Approx round trip times in ms:
    Min=0ms, Max=2ms, Av=0ms

    Windows IP Config

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . .: 10.0.0.2

    PPP adapter Alcatel Speedtouch Connection:
    Connection-Specific DNS Suffix . .:
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.77.197.174
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . .: 81.77.197.174

    Hope this helps
    TIA
    J.J.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 16, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=

    Tony Guest

    "J.J." <> wrote in message
    > Ping results:
    > Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=64
    > Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    > Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    > Reply from 10.0.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64
    >
    > Ping stats for 10.0.0.2:
    > Packets: Sent=4, Recieved=4, Lost=0 (o% loss)
    > Approx round trip times in ms:
    > Min=0ms, Max=2ms, Av=0ms
    >
    > Windows IP Config
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    > Connection-Specific DNS Suffix . :
    > IP Address. .. . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.5
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . .: 10.0.0.2
    >
    > PPP adapter Alcatel Speedtouch Connection:
    > Connection-Specific DNS Suffix . .:
    > IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.77.197.174
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . . . .: 81.77.197.174
    >

    > Hope this helps
    > TIA
    > J.J.

    That's fine. Your PC is connecting to the router and the router is
    allocating an IP address through its DHCP.

    If you right click on the dial-up connection for the speedtouch modem, then
    click on properties then the advanced tab, make sure that you do not have
    Internet connection sharing selected (this will now be handled by the router
    so needs to be turned off for the PC).

    Disconnect the USB modem.

    At the back of the router there should be a reset button. You will need a
    pen to push or something pointed to push it in. Push it in and hold it for
    about 4 seconds to reset it. Then power down the PC and router.

    Plug the telephone cable into the router and power it up (make sure you plug
    it into the WAN port). Make sure the ADSL light is on and not flashing (on
    means it is connected, flashing means its trying to make a connection.)

    Power up the PC.

    Make sure firewalls are turned off.

    Make sure Internet Explorer is set up to never dial a connection (this is
    very important as otherwise internet explorer will try to use you modem and
    not the router), type in the URL http://10.0.0.2

    Hopefully that will allow you to connect to the router.
    Tony, Jan 16, 2005
  8. sExcellent !!!This looked like the problem...
    > Make sure Internet Explorer is set up to never dial a connection (this is
    > very important as otherwise internet explorer will try to use you modem and
    > not the router), type in the URL http://10.0.0.2

    OK, I'm in to the Router but looks like I've opened a 'new can of worms'.
    This is all new to me and I hate to sound like a no-brain but can you tell
    me which settings I need to config and what to. Probably the WAN and Wireless?
    TIA
    J.J.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 16, 2005
  9. Update:
    Sorted WAN settings and up and running. Many thanks to all, esp. Tony who
    took the time to help out.

    =?Utf-8?B?Si5KLg==?=, Jan 18, 2005