    ___________________________
    A mistake is only a mistake
    If one learns nothing from it

    Tendril, Oct 11, 2003

  2. Tendril wrote:

    > I have just installed the latest release of mozilla (on win98 se) and I have
    > a few questions:
    >
    > Can I turn off the sidebar so it doesn't appear automatically when I start
    > the browser.

    Yes. View>>Show/Hide>>Side Bar.

    > Can I import my 'favourites' from IE 'on mass' rather than individually.

    Should have brought them in when you installed. Don't you have a folder
    in Bookmarks called "Imported IE Favorites"? If not, Export your
    Favorites to an HTML file, then import in Moz.

    > Can I set the default download folder

    Download should default to the last used folder. If you send one to
    Desktop, the next will go to Desktop until you change it.

    > Can I set mozilla to open maximised as default

    Yes. It should remember the last setting. If you close out maximized,
    it should reopen maximized.

    > Many thanks

    Welcome to Moz, have a great browsing experience!

    Lee
    --
    Leonidas Jones
    Mozilla Champion

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2003

  3. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as a
    1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

    It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

    It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but I
    will try doing as you say.

    Thanks

    Tendril, Oct 11, 2003
  4. Tendril wrote:

    > The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as a
    > 1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

    Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
    you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
    so it sticks.

    > It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

    All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
    with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
    then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.

    I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
    does close, so if its on, it may not stick.

    Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
    latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact build.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 11, 2003
  5. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well) and it
    is still not rememebering my view settings

    My version: 1.4.1

    Tendril, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Tendril wrote:
    > Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well) and it
    > is still not rememebering my view settings
    >
    > My version: 1.4.1
    >
    > Thanks

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tendril wrote:
    >>

    >>>The application doesn't remember the window setting, it always opens as

    >>>1/3 size window (my resolution is 1024)

    >>Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
    >>you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
    >>so it sticks.
    >>

    >>>It doesn't remeber that I have chosen to hide the side bar.

    >>All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
    >>with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
    >>then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.
    >>
    >>I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
    >>does close, so if its on, it may not stick.
    >>
    >>Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
    >>latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact build.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>
    >>>It didn't give me the option to import favourites when I installed, but

    >>>will try doing as you say.
    >>>

    >>>Thanks

    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>>have

    >>>start

    > individually.

    Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
    as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
    Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.

    Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Tendril wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I have disabled quick launch ( and checked in msconfig as well)
    >> and it
    >> is still not rememebering my view settings
    >>
    >> My version: 1.4.1
    >>
    >> Thanks

    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>> Do you have Quick Start enabled? This is a shot in the dark, but, if
    >>> you do, disable it and try opening, maximizing and closing and reopening
    >>> so it sticks.

    >>> All right, when I open the side bar and close Moz, it reopens next time
    >>> with the side bar open. If I close it, even without the view setting,
    >>> then close and reopen, the side bar is closed.
    >>>
    >>> I still wonder about Quick Launch. With it enabled, Moz never really
    >>> does close, so if its on, it may not stick.
    >>>
    >>> Another question to ask is what version of Moz are you using? You say
    >>> latest build, but check help, about Mozilla, and tell me the exact
    >>> build.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> individually.

    > Okay, I tried all in NS7.1, which is Moz 1.4. Everything worked exactly
    > as in my Moz 1.5. First of all, did you have a preexisting Netscape or
    > Mozilla installation? Are you using the same profile.
    >
    > Try creating a new profile, and see if the same problem exists.
    >
    > Lee

    Another thought. If you have an existing NS6+ version installed and are
    sharing a profile, all sorts of strange things can happen. Again, I
    think the best course is to try a new profile and see if the problem
    exists in that. If a new profile behaves correctly, the problem is in
    the profile.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    new to profiles. What is the correct method please?

    Tendril, Oct 12, 2003
  9. Tendril wrote:
    > new to profiles. What is the correct method please?

    Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager. In Profile Manager, click
    Create Profile. Open Moz in the new profile and see if your settings
    will stick.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  10. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    That got it. Thanks. Now to sort out the bookmarks.

    Tendril, Oct 12, 2003
  11. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    Also had imported IE favourites in it :)

    Tendril, Oct 12, 2003
  12. Tendril wrote:
    > Also had imported IE favourites in it :)

    > "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tendril wrote:
    >>
    >>>new to profiles. What is the correct method please?

    >>Start>>Programs>>Mozilla>>Profile Manager. In Profile Manager, click
    >>Create Profile. Open Moz in the new profile and see if your settings
    >>will stick.
    >>
    >>Lee
    >>
    >>>"Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >>>as

    >>>reopening

    >>>time

    > setting,

    > say

    >>>but

    > exactly

    Dynamite!!! So it was an old profile with a problem.

    Do you have any old mail you need to brong over, or are you set!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  13. Tendril

    Tendril Guest

    I use outlook 2000 for mail and news, I'm happy with that. What would be the
    outcome of uninstalling IE (and how can I force windows update to use moz
    now instead of IE (or cant I))

    Tendril, Oct 12, 2003
  14. Tendril wrote:
    > I use outlook 2000 for mail and news, I'm happy with that. What would be the
    > outcome of uninstalling IE (and how can I force windows update to use moz
    > now instead of IE (or cant I))

    If you are using win98 up, you can't uninstall IE, its completely
    integrated into the shell of the OS. Well, you can, but its usually not
    worth the effort. If you are on 95, you should be able to uninstall via
    add/remove programs.

    Seems to me I just saw something on windows update and Moz. I'll see if
    I can find it.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  15. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Tendril wrote:
    >
    >> I use outlook 2000 for mail and news, I'm happy with that. What would
    >> be the
    >> outcome of uninstalling IE (and how can I force windows update to use moz
    >> now instead of IE (or cant I))

    > If you are using win98 up, you can't uninstall IE, its completely
    > integrated into the shell of the OS. Well, you can, but its usually not
    > worth the effort. If you are on 95, you should be able to uninstall via
    > add/remove programs.
    >
    > Seems to me I just saw something on windows update and Moz. I'll see if
    > I can find it.
    >
    > Lee
    >

    >> "Leonidas Jones" <> wrote in message

    >> opens

    >> if

    >> really

    >> installed,

    >> se)

    >> when

    >> or

    >> are

    >>> Dynamite!!! So it was an old profile with a problem.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have any old mail you need to brong over, or are you set!
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    Well, doesn't look like it is possible to use windows update other than
    with IE. Sorry.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 12, 2003
  16. Tendril