    You''re not exactly what you seem to be.
    Yeah, we want to follow Ellesun...
    but come tomorrow, we will want to run from Ellesun..."

    Ellesun750, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Your initial impressions are correct, and good luck BTW on your long term
    plans.

    The 270 exam which focuses on XP pro is significantly easier than the other
    exams for most people. For that exam make sure you know subnetting, NTFS
    permissions vs share permissions and ICS. In general be prepared to answer
    questions that would get sent to a desktop support help desk from users who
    have XP on their computer. This means troubleshooting install problems, file
    access, network configurations and using diagnostic tools on the OS to
    determine what the most likely cause of a given problem is.

    When you get into the server exams there are a couple of areas to focus on
    that will help. You *must* understand group policy....not just how to set
    it, but to a certain extent you have to memorize the overall structure of the
    GP snap in so that you can answer questions about where, specifically, to set
    a particular policy. You will have a lot of questions about DNS and DHCP
    configuration. It pays to know these two subjects cold...not just for a
    single server but how to implement across an enterprise. As you get further
    in the exams (assuming you take 290 and 291 first for the server side before
    progressing to the design exams) you will have to understand FSMO roles and
    how their placement impacts users. As I recall, trust relationships were
    pretty big in the later exams as well.

    I could go on and on, but your best bet is to take a look at what MS says to
    study. I would add that you must be comfortable with the OS in question, so
    that if you don't know an answer with certainty you can make an educated
    guess. The help files that come with the OS often have a surprising amount
    of depth, so don't be avoid them when looking for info. Many people neglect
    that resource totally, focusing on any number of expensive test prep books.
    --
    John Strohecker, MCSE

    John Strohecker, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Ellesun750

    Ellesun750 Guest

    Thanks so much...at least I'm not totally in the dark anymore!
    --
    "Oh, tell me do you live in dreams?
    You're not exactly what you seem to be.
    Yeah, we want to follow Ellesun...
    but come tomorrow, we will want to run from Ellesun..."
    -Kevin Max, "Secret Circle"

    Ellesun750, Apr 19, 2006