New to Linux

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Damon Nomad, Jul 11, 2004.

  1. Damon Nomad

    Damon Nomad Guest

    I'm new to Linux, I had a spare machine, a K6 500, 64 megs of
    RAM, video card, external 33k6 Dynalink modem, CDROM, 3.5 Floppy
    and a 3 or 4 Gb H/d. I have a disk set I bought a couple of years
    ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness with a whole lot of extras. I have
    installed it with Gnome but need a lot more advice. Can someone
    suggest a newsgroup or site that is fairly basic?
    "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give
    a man gills and he becomes a fish himself."
    Old Tleilaxu adage.
     
    Damon Nomad, Jul 11, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Damon Nomad

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:

    > I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness
    > with a whole lot of extras.


    Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!

    Best advice you're likely to get, IMHO.

    RedHat 7.0 is *quite* out of date by three major (and many minor) revision
    releases - especially if you're planning to connect to the Internet.

    I used to be a supporter of the RedHat distribution, but I now think that
    Mandrake is the better general purpose distro.

    Mandrake 10 - freely downloadable from the WWW, or available on CD-ROMs
    attached to magazines, or burned onto CD-ROM from Quay Computers for
    little more than the cost of the CD-Rs - to name but three places you can
    easily get it.


    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
     
    Divine, Jul 11, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Damon Nomad

    Peter Guest

    Divine wrote:
    > Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!


    Exactly right !
    RH7.0 is sooo old.

    And Mandrake 10 is probably the best distro to start on.
    However, 64MB RAM is not much. Really, you should have twice that for MDK
    to be happy.
    You might get better performance out of a distro specifically designed for
    lighter hardware, but that takes a bit more understanding of Linux. Best
    bet is get some more RAM.


    HTH

    Peter
     
    Peter, Jul 11, 2004
    #3
  4. Damon Nomad

    steve Guest

    Damon Nomad wrote:

    > I'm new to Linux, I had a spare machine, a K6 500, 64 megs of
    > RAM, video card, external 33k6 Dynalink modem, CDROM, 3.5 Floppy
    > and a 3 or 4 Gb H/d. I have a disk set I bought a couple of years
    > ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness with a whole lot of extras. I have
    > installed it with Gnome but need a lot more advice. Can someone
    > suggest a newsgroup or site that is fairly basic?
    > "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give
    > a man gills and he becomes a fish himself."
    > Old Tleilaxu adage.


    Google groups (newsgroups) would be best...as RH 7.0 is now 4 years
    old.....if not 5.

    There will be very little current discussion....but a fair amount of past
    discussion.

    You really should try to get the PC to 128MB of RAM if at all possible.

    64MB is too low....unless you want to try one of the 'lean' distros, like
    "Vector Linux".....designed for older or lower-spec PCs.

    I have a copy of Vector Linux - the latest version as far as I know.
     
    steve, Jul 11, 2004
    #4
  5. Damon Nomad

    steve Guest

    Divine wrote:

    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness
    >> with a whole lot of extras.

    >
    > Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!


    He's only got 64MB of RAM.

    He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
    UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM would be
    a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....
     
    steve, Jul 11, 2004
    #5
  6. In article <>, says...
    > Damon Nomad wrote:
    >
    > > I'm new to Linux, I had a spare machine, a K6 500, 64 megs of
    > > RAM, video card, external 33k6 Dynalink modem, CDROM, 3.5 Floppy
    > > and a 3 or 4 Gb H/d. I have a disk set I bought a couple of years
    > > ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness with a whole lot of extras. I have
    > > installed it with Gnome but need a lot more advice. Can someone
    > > suggest a newsgroup or site that is fairly basic?
    > > "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give
    > > a man gills and he becomes a fish himself."
    > > Old Tleilaxu adage.

    >
    > Google groups (newsgroups) would be best...as RH 7.0 is now 4 years
    > old.....if not 5.
    >
    > There will be very little current discussion....but a fair amount of past
    > discussion.
    >
    > You really should try to get the PC to 128MB of RAM if at all possible.
    >
    > 64MB is too low....unless you want to try one of the 'lean' distros, like
    > "Vector Linux".....designed for older or lower-spec PCs.
    >
    > I have a copy of Vector Linux - the latest version as far as I know.


    Vectorlinux.com appears to be down, where else do you get info about it?
     
    Patrick Dunford, Jul 11, 2004
    #6
  7. Damon Nomad

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:04:27 +1200, Divine <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >
    >> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness
    >> with a whole lot of extras.

    >
    >Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!
    >

    With 64MB? A better choice might be Fedora or maybe the latest Debian.
    >
    >Best advice you're likely to get, IMHO.
    >

    Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like
    that.
    >

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Jul 11, 2004
    #7
  8. Damon Nomad

    Divine Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:27:59 +1200, Enkidu wrote:

    > Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like that.


    What's wrong with using one of the lighter GUIs that are included as a
    part of Mandrake?


    Divine

    --
    "A life? Sounds great! Do you know where I could download one?"
     
    Divine, Jul 11, 2004
    #8
  9. Damon Nomad

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Divine wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0
    >>> Guinness with a whole lot of extras.

    >>
    >> Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!

    >
    > He's only got 64MB of RAM.
    >
    > He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
    > UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM
    > would be a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....



    Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the distro..........
    Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task" and see what
    happens.............
     
    cowboyz, Jul 11, 2004
    #9
  10. Damon Nomad

    theseus Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> Divine wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0
    >>>> Guinness with a whole lot of extras.
    >>>
    >>> Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!

    >>
    >> He's only got 64MB of RAM.
    >>
    >> He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
    >> UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM
    >> would be a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....

    >
    >
    > Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
    > distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
    > and see what happens.............


    Why would you expect them to ?
    Thats why there are different distributions
    There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
    Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is that all
    you country boys can scrape together ?
     
    theseus, Jul 11, 2004
    #10
  11. Damon Nomad

    cowboyz Guest

    theseus wrote:
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >> steve wrote:
    >>> Divine wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0
    >>>>> Guinness with a whole lot of extras.
    >>>>
    >>>> Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!
    >>>
    >>> He's only got 64MB of RAM.
    >>>
    >>> He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
    >>> UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM
    >>> would be a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....

    >>
    >>
    >> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
    >> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
    >> and see what happens.............

    >
    > Why would you expect them to ?
    > Thats why there are different distributions
    > There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
    > Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
    > that all you country boys can scrape together ?



    No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up with
    anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.
     
    cowboyz, Jul 11, 2004
    #11
  12. Damon Nomad

    AD. Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 08:51:25 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the distro..........


    Look at that Windows users can't even agree on the best x....

    (where x could be game, anti virus, graphics tool, firewall etc etc)

    What an idiotic statement!
     
    AD., Jul 11, 2004
    #12
  13. Damon Nomad

    AD. Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:

    > I'm new to Linux, I had a spare machine, a K6 500, 64 megs of RAM, video
    > card, external 33k6 Dynalink modem, CDROM, 3.5 Floppy and a 3 or 4 Gb H/d.
    > I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0 Guinness
    > with a whole lot of extras. I have installed it with Gnome but need a lot
    > more advice. Can someone suggest a newsgroup or site that is fairly basic?
    > "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man gills and he becomes
    > a fish himself." Old Tleilaxu adage.


    First things first. RedHat 7.0 is OLD, and will have security
    vulnerabilities.

    Either replace it, or figure out how to enable a firewall. I think there
    was a firewall tool in Redhat called lokkit or something.

    Cheers
    Anton
     
    AD., Jul 11, 2004
    #13
  14. Damon Nomad

    theseus Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > theseus wrote:
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>> steve wrote:
    >>>> Divine wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:49:00 +1200, Damon Nomad wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> I have a disk set I bought a couple of years ago, Red Hat 7.0
    >>>>>> Guinness with a whole lot of extras.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Upgrade that system to Mandrake 10 - now!
    >>>>
    >>>> He's only got 64MB of RAM.
    >>>>
    >>>> He'd be better off with a stripped-down Gentoo with Fluxbox as the
    >>>> UI....though compiling anything on a system with only 64MB of RAM
    >>>> would be a true test of the remaining life in the hard disc....
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
    >>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
    >>> and see what happens.............

    >>
    >> Why would you expect them to ?
    >> Thats why there are different distributions
    >> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
    >> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
    >> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

    >
    >
    > No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up
    > with anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.


    Yeah steve makes it easy, he's just trying to raise the noise level.
    Damon Nomad should just continue to explore the install he has working, but
    try the ICEWM windows manager.
    7.0 wouldn't be the best choice if he wanted to run a static webserver.
    But as a "my first linux" it'll do nicely.
    Copyleft has a good page of NZ Linux links
    http://www.copyleft.co.nz/links.html
     
    theseus, Jul 11, 2004
    #14
  15. Damon Nomad

    Divine Guest

    On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:20:07 +1200, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Why not just say 'get some more RAM, and get Mandrake 10.0 from DSE', or
    > similar that people can understand ferchrisakes...


    Mandrake 10 *is* very nice. And, yeah, I have 512megs of RAM
    installed, and, yeah, I'm using an AMD64. :eek:)


    Divine

    --
    Bruce Schneier: "Honestly, security experts don't pick on Microsoft because
    we have some fundamental dislike for the company. Indeed, Microsoft's poor
    products are one of the reasons we're in business. We pick on them because
    they've done more to harm Internet security than anyone else, because they
    repeatedly lie to the public about their products' security, and because
    they do everything they can to convince people that the problems lie anywhere
    but inside Microsoft. Microsoft treats security vulnerabilities as public
    relations problems. Until that changes, expect more of this kind of nonsense
    from Microsoft and its products."
     
    Divine, Jul 12, 2004
    #15
  16. Damon Nomad

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:50:09 +1200, Divine <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:27:59 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >> Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like that.

    >
    >What's wrong with using one of the lighter GUIs that are included as a
    >part of Mandrake?
    >

    Erm, the rest of Mandrake.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2004
    #16
  17. Damon Nomad

    Porkster Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:19:30 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    <snip

    >>>
    >>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
    >>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
    >>> and see what happens.............

    >>
    >> Why would you expect them to ?
    >> Thats why there are different distributions
    >> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
    >> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
    >> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

    >
    >
    > No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up with
    > anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.




    Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
    flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7


    Paul...
     
    Porkster, Jul 12, 2004
    #17
  18. Damon Nomad

    theseus Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:50:09 +1200, Divine <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 20:27:59 +1200, Enkidu wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well, RH7 *is* old, but Mandrake is far too heavy for a system like
    >>> that.

    >>
    >> What's wrong with using one of the lighter GUIs that are included as
    >> a part of Mandrake?
    >>

    > Erm, the rest of Mandrake.
    >


    There are all sorts of WM options in the installer, same kernel as any other
    current distro, its the desktop that takes the ram.
    Debian stable is the easiest to go minimalist with though, it will install a
    2.2 386 kernel by default, or 2.4 with the bf24 boot option.
     
    theseus, Jul 12, 2004
    #18
  19. Damon Nomad

    Divine Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:09:58 +1200, Porkster wrote:

    > Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
    > flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7


    Lets see...

    There have been a total of 4 major versions of Micro$oft Windows, and 3
    major versions of Micro$oft WindowsNT.

    Does Micro$oft still offer free support for Windows 3.0? or 2.0?

    Don't think so!


    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult
    for their advocates to occupy any high moral ground."
     
    Divine, Jul 12, 2004
    #19
  20. Damon Nomad

    theseus Guest

    "Porkster" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 09:19:30 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > <snip
    >
    > >>>
    > >>> Look at that.. Linux advocates can't even agree on the
    > >>> distro.......... Wait till you ask "what app is better at this task"
    > >>> and see what happens.............
    > >>
    > >> Why would you expect them to ?
    > >> Thats why there are different distributions
    > >> There are different choices and opinions among Windows users to.
    > >> Have you got anything to contribute but trolling cheap shots or is
    > >> that all you country boys can scrape together ?

    > >
    > >
    > > No. Thats all I can scrape together. Too cold and frosty to come up

    with
    > > anything more substantial than that. It was a bit easy though.

    >
    >
    >
    > Im surprised that no one bothered to mention redhat no longer gives a
    > flying fig about providing support to version 9, never mind version 7
    >
    >
    > Paul...


    Doesn't really matter for a first linux install, theres enough stuff on the
    distro disks to learn with.
    Get a copy of RUTE and work through it with that distro, then choose one for
    regular use after you know what you are looking at.
     
    theseus, Jul 12, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Nick de Graeve

    Importing TB mail from linux in linux

    Nick de Graeve, Oct 4, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    681
    Nick de Graeve
    Oct 4, 2004
  2. Adrian de los Santos

    Linux-Cisco-ADSL-Cisco-Linux Connection hangs....

    Adrian de los Santos, Jul 22, 2003, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    942
    David Van Cleef
    Jul 22, 2003
  3. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    574
    Peter =?UTF-8?B?S8O2aGxtYW5u?=
    Sep 27, 2007
  4. Alan
    Replies:
    55
    Views:
    1,400
  5. Have a nice cup of pee

    Linux... yeah linux.. Linux

    Have a nice cup of pee, Apr 12, 2006, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    19
    Views:
    715
    Bette Noir
    Apr 17, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page