    that having got my certification I might not find anyone that would hire me
    based on only my Certificate alone, no work experience in IT to back it up.
    Am I just nervous about the new career or is there some truth to my worries?

    A little worried, Jun 17, 2007

  2. A little worried

    catwalker63 Guest

    A little worried piffled away vaguely:

    > I'm currently studying for the MCDST Certification and I saw this Disucssion
    > Board so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask here. Is MCDST a good door into
    > the IT field? I have experience with support, mostly around the house fixing
    > computer and network problems, I've seen a lot of the things I've dealt with
    > in the past on some of the online course material but I guess I'm worried
    > that having got my certification I might not find anyone that would hire me
    > based on only my Certificate alone, no work experience in IT to back it up.
    > Am I just nervous about the new career or is there some truth to my worries?

    Certifications are for showing knowledge not getting it. Whether you
    get hired depends on the job you are going for. You will not get
    hired to do Tier 2 or 3 or sys admin or the like without experience.
    You may not even be considered for Tier 1 or other entry level
    positions if an experienced candidate is available. A lot will depend
    on what the company is looking for and your ability to sell yourself.
    Look for volunteer jobs if you can't get on right off with a paid
    position.

    Get your certifications after you have some experience. You can use
    the exam objectives as a structure for study to learn the product but
    don't expect the certs to get you jobs without experience to back
    them up. Also, since you are new to IT you need to expect to spend
    time studying and developing your skills for the rest of your
    career.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43

    catwalker63, Jun 17, 2007

  3. A little worried

    Jeff Guest

    Good advice catwalker.

    I got my first IT job working at a local community college. Was a student
    and started helping out with the classroom labs, then got a part time job
    there. That job turned to full time.

    Keep studying. Sign up (and read) IT and product newsletters. Learn
    something new everyday. Surround yourself with it. Keep studying and the
    experience will come to you.

    Jeff, Jun 17, 2007